+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANCEL SPONSORSHIP

Ninah

Feb 13, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my husband a few months ago on spousal sponsorship inland application. I had sponsored him in the past and cancelled it after the decision was already made. However, I sponsored him again hoping that things will improve between the two of us but it is getting worse every single day.
There is no sign of any improvement in our relationship. I own a house and he lives in the same house. He got a job but does not pay a cent for any thing.
THe application is under process. I want to cancel it and would like to know if I do so does he have to leave the country immediately or does he stay here? He has a temporary work permit that I had applied for him and is valid till 2017.
Please guide me.

annakrystyna13

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Ninah said:
I am a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my husband a few months ago on spousal sponsorship inland application. I had sponsored him in the past and cancelled it after the decision was already made. However, I sponsored him again hoping that things will improve between the two of us but it is getting worse every single day.
There is no sign of any improvement in our relationship. I own a house and he lives in the same house. He got a job but does not pay a cent for any thing.
THe application is under process. I want to cancel it and would like to know if I do so does he have to leave the country immediately or does he stay here? He has a temporary work permit that I had applied for him and is valid till 2017.
Please guide me.
The new law requires spouses to live together for two years after becoming a PR. If you split up, his status would be taken away. If his work permit is under the new Pilot Project, then that will probably be taken away if you cancel the application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
annakrystyna13 said:
The new law requires spouses to live together for two years after becoming a PR. If you split up, his status would be taken away. If his work permit is under the new Pilot Project, then that will probably be taken away if you cancel the application.
Don't assume that conditional PR will be applicable to this case. It will depend on how long they have been married before this second application was submitted and whether they had a child together before the submission. The OP has not provided any information on this subject.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ninah said:
Please guide me.
Yes, you can cancel his PR application, as you did before. That is your right as a sponsor. You are not in any way required to continue with the application if you don't want to.

As for having to leave the country, I can't say. Normally, someone with a work permit can stay in Canada for as long as it is valid. If his work permit was issued on the basis of the inland sponsorship app, it's possible that CIC may revoke but it's entirely possible that they won't bother. In that case, he would be allowed to stay in Canada until it expires in 2017.

Even if he is allowed to stay, you can most definitely kick him out of your house.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, you can cancel his PR application, as you did before. That is your right as a sponsor. You are not in any way required to continue with the application if you don't want to.

As for having to leave the country, I can't say. Normally, someone with a work permit can stay in Canada for as long as it is valid. If his work permit was issued on the basis of the inland sponsorship app, it's possible that CIC may revoke but it's entirely possible that they won't bother. In that case, he would be allowed to stay in Canada until it expires in 2017.

Even if he is allowed to stay, you can most definitely kick him out of your house.
If it's a matrimonial home, no, you can't. Both spouses have legal rights. http://ontariofamilylawblog.blogspot.ca/2014/09/my-spouse-wont-leave-houseontario.html
Most likely, other provinces have similar legislation, if it isn't Federal.

Cycy

May 7, 2021
Hello! I have a question, I sponsor an independent child after I applied for my spouse but Ircc refuse because I have to wait until the final decision. The first application took a long time. My question is can I cancel the first application and apply again to my daughter and my husband at the same time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! I have a question, I sponsor an independent child after I applied for my spouse but Ircc refuse because I have to wait until the final decision. The first application took a long time. My question is can I cancel the first application and apply again to my daughter and my husband at the same time?
It's confusing to understand what you are asking. Can you provide more details?

Is your independent child also related to your husband by blood? How old is the child?

Cycy

May 7, 2021
Yes! Is the child of my husband. I applied under pilot my daughter before my husband. When I came to Canada I didn't marry after 2 years I went back home and I married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes! Is the child of my husband. I applied under pilot my daughter before my husband. When I came to Canada I didn't marry after 2 years I went back home and I married.
I'm really confused. Why did you apply under the pilot program for the child? How old is the child?

I am assuming the child is both yours and your husband's.

Cycy

May 7, 2021
She is 6 years old, when I came with my family but my mother sponsored us, she didn't add my daughter. She didn't say I had a child that was why I applied under the pilot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She is 6 years old, when I came with my family but my mother sponsored us, she didn't add my daughter. She didn't say I had a child that was why I applied under the pilot.
Through which program did your mother immigrate?

Did you live with your husband before moving to Canada?