+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadians entering Canada on foreign passports?

warrenthegreat

Sep 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
I read somewhere that Canadians must enter Canada on a Canadian passport. My children have dual nationality with a Canadian Citizenship certificate but UK passports. I doubt they can be refused entry since our constitution says every citizen has the right to remain in, leave, and return to Canada. What do you think. I suppose i could just get they're Canadian passports but is the certificate enough with valid travel documents ie UK passports? Just a footnote but people, usually men, who have defaulted on child support payments are denied passports and thus denied they're constitutional right to leave Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
warrenthegreat said:
I read somewhere that Canadians must enter Canada on a Canadian passport. My children have dual nationality with a Canadian Citizenship certificate but UK passports. I doubt they can be refused entry since our constitution says every citizen has the right to remain in, leave, and return to Canada. What do you think. I suppose i could just get they're Canadian passports but is the certificate enough with valid travel documents ie UK passports? Just a footnote but people, usually men, who have defaulted on child support payments are denied passports and thus denied they're constitutional right to leave Canada.
No, you can travel with your UK passports to enter Canada

warrenthegreat

Sep 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
I was just on the British Expat forum and the posts implied that Canadians must enter Canada with a Canadian passport. I think they're wrong because my children have citizenship cards so they can't be denied access to Canada no matter what travel document they use. Its my understanding that once the IO is satisfied the person is Canadian they must stop asking questions and allow immediate entry. Is this correct. Is Canada.com just trying to get me to buy two more of their passport.

warrenthegreat

Sep 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
I just got off the phone with Immigration and they said there's no way they can stop a Canadian from entering Canada so stop the thread.