+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian work experience. Is it necessary to have continuous 1 year

Nov 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

I finished my PhD in Canada last year and I have two 6 months of full time Canadian work experience (Postdoctoral Scholar). The job in which I am currently employed in, has offered me till 2022. I worked 40 hours/week in these 6+6 months. So in total it will be more than 1560 hours. My question is do I need to have a continuous 1 year of Canadian work experience or I am good to go for my express entry profile for the PR?

Please let me know. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You don't need continuous work experience under the CEC. You just need one year of skilled work experience in the past three years. They only count 30 hours a week, but if you have worked full time for 1 year ( 6+6), you have enough experience to apply for CEC.

Just to be sure - you have to make sure you didn't have any unpaid leave or something like that in those 6+6 months. If you're not certain, work a couple more months to cover any missing days and then apply.

Nov 2, 2016
You don't need continuous work experience under the CEC. You just need one year of skilled work experience in the past three years. They only count 30 hours a week, but if you have worked full time for 1 year ( 6+6), you have enough experience to apply for CEC.

Just to be sure - you have to make sure you didn't have any unpaid leave or something like that in those 6+6 months. If you're not certain, work a couple more months to cover any missing days and then apply.

Thanks very much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I had a couple of months break (as in holidays) before starting my new position and it was not a paid break as I left the first job before starting the current one and wanted to have a break after PhD. Is that a problem?

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks very much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I had a couple of months break (as in holidays) before starting my new position and it was not a paid break as I left the first job before starting the current one and wanted to have a break after PhD. Is that a problem?

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
You need one year of work experience. If you're saying you worked for 4 months, then took 2 months off, then worked for 6 months, you don't have one year of work experience.

Nov 2, 2016
You need one year of work experience. If you're saying you worked for 4 months, then took 2 months off, then worked for 6 months, you don't have one year of work experience.
Hi I worked for 6 months and then took a break for two months. And I have completed 6 months in my current job. Total 6+6 months of complete work experience.

valycarrolito

Aug 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I finished my PhD in Canada last year and I have two 6 months of full time Canadian work experience (Postdoctoral Scholar). The job in which I am currently employed in, has offered me till 2022. I worked 40 hours/week in these 6+6 months. So in total it will be more than 1560 hours. My question is do I need to have a continuous 1 year of Canadian work experience or I am good to go for my express entry profile for the PR?

Please let me know. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I took a couple of months break after I left my first job before starting my current job and I was not paid in those months. Do you think that will be an issue?
Thanks again for your input.

valycarrolito

Aug 29, 2019
You don't need continuous work experience under the CEC. You just need one year of skilled work experience in the past three years. They only count 30 hours a week, but if you have worked full time for 1 year ( 6+6), you have enough experience to apply for CEC xender discord omegle.

I left my first job before starting my current job and I was not paid in those months