+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian with Mexican Girlfriend, hoping to establish Common Law

sbott

Sep 5, 2023
Hello. I'm hoping to gain some clarity regarding the best path forward for me and my girlfriend. I am Canadian, she is Mexican. We have been living out of the country for one year, though not together. She has a valid visitor's visa for Canada.

At this point, we would like to enter Canada together with the intention of cohabitating and establishing common law so that I can sponsor her for PR. We are a bit confused on how to handle this, though.

From what I can gather, she will need to enter, stay for 6 months, and apply for a 6 month extension. If we are able to live together and prove that we have been cohabitating, we would qualify for common law.

My questions are:
1. How to go about her entering the country initially? Would she buy a round trip ticket for a 6 month stay and say that she's visiting, then apply for an extensive after ~5 months? Would we make it clear that she's staying with me or keep it to "visiting" at the border?
2. Since she'll be on a visitors visa, how is it possible to prove that we've been cohabitating? As far as I can understand she would need to be on a lease agreement with me and share many bills, joint bank account, etc. How is this possible if she is entering as a visitor?

Thank you in advance to anybody that can help.