+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian with a non-canadian husband...

Fida nasr

Aug 22, 2017
Good Afternoon,

Me and my girls have the Canadian passport living abroad with my non-Canadian husband ,
we are arranging to move back to Canada, but of course we are still working on the papers..
These are the steps that I am taking,
1) Applying for sponsorship (me sponsoring my spouse)
2) Applying for PR for my Husband
- When we receive the approval I will move to Canada with my girls,
My husband will not be able to move permanently to Canada because of his job abroad.
So he will be coming Once or Twice a year to Canada.

So my question is, I know that if he stays permanently in Canada he should get the citizenship in 3 years, correct?
But in this case if he comes and goes to Canada how will it be calculated, how long does he need to take the citizenship? is there a certain period where he needs to "finish" these 3 years?

thank you for your help and support;

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Afternoon,

Me and my girls have the Canadian passport living abroad with my non-Canadian husband ,
we are arranging to move back to Canada, but of course we are still working on the papers..
My husband will not be able to move permanently to Canada because of his job abroad.

So my question is, I know that if he stays permanently in Canada he should get the citizenship in 3 years, correct?
But in this case if he comes and goes to Canada how will it be calculated, how long does he need to take the citizenship? is there a certain period where he needs to "finish" these 3 years?

To keep his permanent resident status, your husband will need to live in Canada for at least 2 years out of every five years.

To qualify for citizenship, he will have to live in Canada for 3 years out of a five year period.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Good Afternoon,

If your husband is not actually intending to live in Canada, there is little purpose in applying for PR for him.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
To keep his permanent resident status, your husband will need to live in Canada for at least 2 years out of every five years.

To qualify for citizenship, he will have to live in Canada for 3 years out of a five year period.
To clarify Scylla's post. It's 2 years every rolling 5 years to maintain PR status (maintain 2 years in continuous 5 year period), not just every 5 year period.

Reactions: scylla

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If he is not going to move permanently to Canada now, it's better to wait till he is ready to move and apply then
Does he has a visa exempted passport? Visitor can get to stay up to 6 month at per visit. (unless they suspect him for overstaying)
If not, can he apply for a visitor visa now?

He can visit you and your children.
Btw he likely won't qualify for healthcare if he doesn't live in the province for a certain period within the year. (It's different for every province)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My suggestion is for you to move back to Canada with your kids, assuming you have his written agreement to take the children out of the country to Canada and wait until he is ready to settle back in Canada. Apply for PR spousal sponsorship when he is ready to change his job and settle in Canada with you.

Reactions: scylla