+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian who's wife is not and will be giving birth late November 2013

ejoweida

Oct 3, 2013
I am a Canadian who sponsored my wife to come to Canada in 2011 and her PR papers are just out this week.
After we got married she came to Canada with me on a visitor visa so we can wait together but a few month's in she got pregnant and had to leave the country as it was too much to deliver here.
She had the baby then came back as well on a visitor visa again so we can wait together, a year later she got pregnant again and she went back home about four months ago. She always maintained "status" during her stay here and now with only a month and half to go for delivery of our second child and her having to wait three months to get her OHIP does her stay before count for anything?
If we end up just going to the hospital for delivery without OHIP, do they need payment before they do anything or can I just give them the OHIP when it comes out with a promise that it will be out no later than two months?
Another thing is, if she lands in Quebec (my parents live there) will she get coverage right away? how does one "land" somewhere and then switch over?
I know a lot has been talked about in this matter here but I just want to see if any one has any advice for my personal situation.
Thanks to all

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She is actually eligible for OHIP if she has been granted first stage approval on her PR application. They often say that this only applies to inland applications but that is not quite true. There is also a marker in the computer for outland where a first stage approval is reached and people have been granted OHIP based on that so you should ask OHIP about it. There is a thread about this somewhere on this forum. If you can show that she had her first stage approval a long time ago and should have been eligible for OHIP 3 months after that, she might already have coverage.

If you live in Ontario and you sponsored her, it will not be good for her to land in Quebec because she was not sponsored through Quebec and therefore does not have a CSQ. There will also be questions if she was sponsored by a spouse and lands in a different province and gives a different address from where you are living.

If you go to the hospital and she truly does not have OHIP coverage at the time of the delivery, they can not charge OHIP for it if she gets a health card and her coverage starts 1-2 months later. See if your child is born late Nov. and she gets her OHIP in January, the hospital can not bill OHIP for a delivery in January when the baby was actually born in November before she was covered. Therefore, you will have to pay their bill although they will help her, you will get the bill later. I have heard of hospitals giving a good discount in such cases as you are a citizen and she is being sponsored. If she has not had any complications with the prior deliveries, you can also talk to midwives because it is less expensive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By the way, here is the thread with the info on first stage approval and OHIP regulations: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg480889#msg480889