+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian wants to sponsor wife but.....

practitioner

Apr 19, 2008
how much money must i transfer to my Canadian bank to show I can support my wife? (i have no job offer in Canada)

also: once she's in Canada as a PR she'll sponsor her son from a previous marriage (ex-husband already agreed); can she do so immediately or must she first settle, learn English, and save money? how much money? and how can she get custody and permission to remove him from China?

thanks everyone,
p

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
I can definitely answer the first question for you. There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse. The requirement is to not be in receipt of social benefits (not even EI counts as that), or be legally bankrupt, or I think in the process of sponsoring someone else. There are lots of sponsors who are university students and have no income, so just being unemployed won't hamper your application.

Regarding your other questions, I am just not sure whether or not she can sponsor someone while being sponsored herself or not.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
if she is your wife then you can put her son on the aplication with her as long as he meets the dependant requirements wether or not he is comming with her at the time doesnt matter. read the dependant specifications and see if he qualifies, also he will need a med exam as well and you will have to pay fees for him with uyour application. if he is a qualified dependant and you dont get him on the application at the same time as your wife, then you give up rights to bring him later. also he doesnt have to come with your wife at the same time, he can come later but an application needs to be done at the same time as your wifes.

to get permission to move him to canada she will need a notarized letter from the childs father, or goto court and get a jusge to order it.

practitioner

Apr 19, 2008
thanks both; tamee which of these are you suggesting i do?

1. try to sponsor wife's son as my dependent even though he'll arrive later? so i put him on same application as her, i apply to sponsor both, and on her principal-applicant's application she puts "accompanying"?

or

2. i apply to sponsor only my wife, but she and i both list her son as her unaccompanying dependent (and get his meds done now), so that later once she's inside Canada with me as a PR she can get the custody document you described (thks) and attempt to inland-sponsor her son?

if you're saying #1 i'm pretty sure the son doesn't qualify as my dependent, the definition i found was that he had to be my own son by blood or adoption and btw for legal and personal reasons i can't adopt him here in china

is #2 possible?

thks
p

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
it would be HER dependent and would go on her application. i would do number one if you plan on the child eventually comming to canada. but if you can not get the custody paper allowing her to bring him to canada then u need to do number 2.

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello,

They still can refuse you providing that you will not be able to support your wife in Canada. So you don't need to transfer ur money but show what you have in teh bank. This will show you are well off and you don't need them.

Fairouz

practitioner

Apr 19, 2008
Thanks - but - sorry still not clear to me: with us (outland) or later? if later, can she apply (inland) as soon as she lands as PR? declare as accompanying or UNaccompanying? if with us, must have $ in bank or not relevant? if so how much e.g. 20K, 100K?

thks everyone
p