+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian wanting to sponsor Illegal US immigrant spouse

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
You should assume it won't. Ultimately IRCC will decide where the application is processed (which visa office) and the visa office that processes the application is the part of the world where the interview will be held (if one is required). Based on what we've seen over the last several years, IRCC always selects the individuals home country if someone is in another country without status. They sometimes even select the home country if a person is living elsewhere with valid status. Your spouse needs to be prepared to return home if an interview is required.
If the PA had been legally admitted and had been legally living in US for over 12 months, then the big chance is that IRCC will proceed his application as a US person. I had seen this happened to many cases on this forum.

JYC

Jan 5, 2016
If the PA had been legally admitted and had been legally living in US for over 12 months, then the big chance is that IRCC will proceed his application as a US person. I had seen this happened to many cases on this forum.
Eventually he will need to obtain a FBI clearance, will that trigger a deportation by the US?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does this count if he was in the US legally previously for over a year?
Thanks!
IRCC is not required to process the app in the US even if the person was there legally to begin with. Generally, they transfer the app to the VO of nationality.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Logically it sounds like he needs to sort out his status in the us before you attempt anything. The cic is going to see him as a risk since he is already an illegal in his country of origin . One step at a time. Trying to jump borders could result in complete deportation and a stay in a remand centre
He can't sort out his status in the US expect by leaving. IRCC will not see him as a risk provided they have sufficient proof of a genuine relationship. He wouldn't be "jumping borders" if approved for PR in Canada.

Happy_mjr

Star Member
May 6, 2018
That's incorrect. He can be successfully sponsored while in the U.S. illegally. Nothing in IRCC's rules prevents this and we've seen a number of successful cases on this forum. It's very doable.
Hello Scylla,
I have posted almost the same situation as this in the past before I decided to marry my fiance who lives in the US illegally for 12 years and you gave your positive insights regarding my situation.
I just would like to share my update and timeline:
We got married in July 2018
Sept. 24, 2018 - Spousal app sent to Sydney, NS
Sept. 26, 2018 - App received
Dec. 19, 2018 - AOR1, GCkey linked
Jan. 25, 2019 - Sponsorship Approved
Jan. 30, 2019 - Medical Request
Feb. 1, 2019 - App transferred to MVO
Feb. 5, 2019 - Medical done in LA, Ca
Feb. 12, 2019 - Medical passed
Feb. 26, 2019 - Pre-arrival services inv

Still waiting for:
Additional documents if any
Background check
Decision (for PA)/ AOR2,
PPR, Visa

Reactions: YamPower and scylla

Inspecktah

Aug 24, 2019
Hello Scylla,
I have posted almost the same situation as this in the past before I decided to marry my fiance who lives in the US illegally for 12 years and you gave your positive insights regarding my situation.
I just would like to share my update and timeline:
We got married in July 2018
Sept. 24, 2018 - Spousal app sent to Sydney, NS
Sept. 26, 2018 - App received
Dec. 19, 2018 - AOR1, GCkey linked
Jan. 25, 2019 - Sponsorship Approved
Jan. 30, 2019 - Medical Request
Feb. 1, 2019 - App transferred to MVO
Feb. 5, 2019 - Medical done in LA, Ca
Feb. 12, 2019 - Medical passed
Feb. 26, 2019 - Pre-arrival services inv

Still waiting for:
Additional documents if any
Background check
Decision (for PA)/ AOR2,
PPR, Visa
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm about to do something similar and I wanted to know how you guys went about disclosing the undocumented status in the application.

Happy_mjr

Star Member
May 6, 2018
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm about to do something similar and I wanted to know how you guys went about disclosing the undocumented status in the application.
Hi there,
I have requested for the GCMS notes and it says, medical/eligibility/criminality passed; and that the officer is satisfied with the proof of our relationship. He states on the notes that the Principal applicant resides in the States but did not elaborate his status. So basically we are just waiting for the final decision and passport request once approved. Since the normal processing time is 12 months, we will be turning 1 year on the 28th of Sept (next month). We’re almost there.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
The Generic Application Form IMM0008 asks in Question 10 for the Current Country of Residence and Status. You would say Status: "Other" and under Other: "Out of status requires Restoration". You'd also provide information about how and when you entered the country. In addition it's a good idea to prepare a cover letter outlining the facts of the situation. If you entered on a visa send a photocopy of that visa page and also a copy of the entry stamp in your passport. If you entered without being inspected then provide facts about your entry in the cover letter.

Inspecktah

Aug 24, 2019
The Generic Application Form IMM0008 asks in Question 10 for the Current Country of Residence and Status. You would say Status: "Other" and under Other: "Out of status requires Restoration". You'd also provide information about how and when you entered the country. In addition it's a good idea to prepare a cover letter outlining the facts of the situation. If you entered on a visa send a photocopy of that visa page and also a copy of the entry stamp in your passport. If you entered without being inspected then provide facts about your entry in the cover letter.
In my wife's case, her family moved from Brazil to Portugal when she was 8 years old. They then overstayed their visas and she's been there ever since. Thanks for the advice about the cover letter; we want to be as upfront as we can about her situation.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
In my wife's case, her family moved from Brazil to Portugal when she was 8 years old. They then overstayed their visas and she's been there ever since. Thanks for the advice about the cover letter; we want to be as upfront as we can about her situation.
Being up front is the big difference. Good luck with the application!