+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Visa expires before workpermit does.

-SusanAnna

Jul 7, 2020
My workpermit is till June14,2021,but canadian visa is only till Feb14,2021.During landing, officer has stamped June,2021.what does this mean??
what would be my status in canada after Feb.Can i still stay in Canada and continue to work till June?If I leave Canada, will I Be able to return??

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
My workpermit is till June14,2020,but canadian visa is only till Feb14,2020.During landing, officer has stamped June,2020.what does this mean??
what would be my status in canada after Feb.Can i still stay in Canada and continue to work till June?If I leave Canada, will I Be able to return??
You do realize it's already July? This means you no longer have status in Canada and you're not supposed to be here.

Visa is what allows you to travel, especially by plane. You can be in Canada with an expired work/study visa, the permit is what counts. You will most likely not be able to return if you have an expired visa once you leave.

Permit, is what allows you in once at the POE and what gives you status in CANADA.

Reactions: mpsqra

-SusanAnna

Jul 7, 2020
You do realize it's already July? This means you no longer have status in Canada and you're not supposed to be here.

Visa is what allows you to travel, especially by plane. You can be in Canada with an expired work/study visa, the permit is what counts. You will most likely not be able to return if you have an expired visa once you leave.

Permit, is what allows you in once at the POE and what gives you status in CANADA.

-SusanAnna

Jul 7, 2020
really sorry for the mix-up :-( .visa is expiring on Feb 2021 an workpermit on June 2021, would like to know of my status during those 3 months in between.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
really sorry for the mix-up :-( .visa is expiring on Feb 2021 an workpermit on June 2021, would like to know of my status during those 3 months in between.
You can stay legally till June 2021. Your status is determined by your work permit, not the visa.

However, if you leave the country after Feb 2021, you will need a new visa to fly back. As long as you don't leave, you can stay till June.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You can stay legally till June 2021. Your status is determined by your work permit, not the visa.

However, if you leave the country after Feb 2021, you will need a new visa to fly back. As long as you don't leave, you can stay till June.
@-SusanAnna , that is exactly what it is.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
My workpermit is till June14,2021,but canadian visa is only till Feb14,2021.During landing, officer has stamped June,2021.what does this mean??
Visa/counterfoils is just for traveling/ enter to canada, once you enter to Canad, the temporary record is valid as long as de permit is valid and passport expiration.
You are allowed to work till jun 2021.
If you leave Canada between feb 14 2021 and jun 2021, you need a new visa/counterfoild in your passport to re-enter to Canada.

Reactions: -SusanAnna

-SusanAnna

Jul 7, 2020
Visa/counterfoils is just for traveling/ enter to canada, once you enter to Canad, the temporary record is valid as long as de permit is valid and passport expiration.
You are allowed to work till jun 2021.
If you leave Canada between feb 14 2021 and jun 2021, you need a new visa/counterfoild in your passport to re-enter to Canada.