+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian/UK citizen sponsoring spouse whilst living in the UK

budealty

Apr 7, 2007
We are looking to move to Canada in the next 5 years. I hold both Canadian and UK citizenship, and moved to the UK 4 years ago to reside with my partner. My partner holds both UK and Irish passports, as she was born in Northern Ireland where we currently live. We returned to Canada to get married in Toronto under the same-sex legislation in Sept 2003. How long before we plan to move should we apply? Do we apply to the Canadian Embassy in London, England? How do we make the case that we intend to take up residency if we have not yet bought a house in Canada? If PR is granted will she be allowed to work in Canada from time of entry? Are there any issues to know about, as a Canadian Citizen living outside Canada, when applying to sponsor my spouse?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

budealty said:
We are looking to move to Canada in the next 5 years. I hold both Canadian and UK citizenship, and moved to the UK 4 years ago to reside with my partner. My partner holds both UK and Irish passports, as she was born in Northern Ireland where we currently live. We returned to Canada to get married in Toronto under the same-*censored word* legislation in Sept 2003. How long before we plan to move should we apply? Do we apply to the Canadian Embassy in London, England? How do we make the case that we intend to take up residency if we have not yet bought a house in Canada? If PR is granted will she be allowed to work in Canada from time of entry? Are there any issues to know about, as a Canadian Citizen living outside Canada, when applying to sponsor my spouse?
1. Apply about year before you wish to emigrate.
2. You send the sponsorship and the application, with the criminal records check and the medical to Mississauga with a statement as to your plans when you OH is issued a COPR, as to employment, housing, etc.
3. If you are approved as a sponsor, the application will be then sent to London by Mississauga, which should process the application in about 6 months.
4. The medical will be valid for 12 months.
5. Suggest you read www.cic.gc.ca

PMM