+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian spouse's information to be included in CEC PR application?

rso

Oct 20, 2017
My Norwegian spouse is applying for PR through the CEC program. As a Canadian spouse, he listed me as his only family member in Canada, and that I am NOT accompanying him to Canada because I have citizenship already.

In the document checklist, I am not being asked for a medical exam, police certificates, etc., which is a good sign that the system recognizes that I am not accompanying him. However, it is still asking for Proof of Relationship documents - worded in such a way that it implies that I need to upload scanned citizenship documents of my parents and my brother. Does that seem reasonable? I don't understand why these documents would be necessary since me and my immediate family are Canadian.

I called the CIC for clarification but received a very vague response. I think this is a unique case and the agent had no idea how to proceed, even after consulting with his colleagues.

I could gather the information, although it will take more time, and submit it anyways. I just wanted to see if anyone else here may have had a similar issue, and how they dealt with it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My Norwegian spouse is applying for PR through the CEC program. As a Canadian spouse, he listed me as his only family member in Canada, and that I am NOT accompanying him to Canada because I have citizenship already.

In the document checklist, I am not being asked for a medical exam, police certificates, etc., which is a good sign that the system recognizes that I am not accompanying him. However, it is still asking for Proof of Relationship documents - worded in such a way that it implies that I need to upload scanned citizenship documents of my parents and my brother. Does that seem reasonable? I don't understand why these documents would be necessary since me and my immediate family are Canadian.

I called the CIC for clarification but received a very vague response. I think this is a unique case and the agent had no idea how to proceed, even after consulting with his colleagues.

I could gather the information, although it will take more time, and submit it anyways. I just wanted to see if anyone else here may have had a similar issue, and how they dealt with it.
It sounds like your spouse claimed points for your having a Canadian sibling - that is the kind of documentation required to prove that a non-Canadian applicant has a sibling who is a PR/Citizen. The points are intended for those who are not Canadians/PR already, you are not technically an applicant since you are already a citizen.

Hopefully, the loss of points for a sibling won't affect his eligibility.

The system is not designed to recognize Canadian spouses (the assumption is that anyone married to a Canadian would apply with a Family class application). So I would suggest uploading a brief letter of explanation that you are already a Canadian citizen, and provide proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport).

rso

Oct 20, 2017
It sounds like your spouse claimed points for your having a Canadian sibling - that is the kind of documentation required to prove that a non-Canadian applicant has a sibling who is a PR/Citizen. The points are intended for those who are not Canadians/PR already, you are not technically an applicant since you are already a citizen.

Hopefully, the loss of points for a sibling won't affect his eligibility.

The system is not designed to recognize Canadian spouses (the assumption is that anyone married to a Canadian would apply with a Family class application). So I would suggest uploading a brief letter of explanation that you are already a Canadian citizen, and provide proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport).

Thank you for the information. I will check with him to see if he had made a mistake earlier in the application in regards to my brother - although I don't think he would have claimed points for this. He completed his degree in Canada and has work experience here, so should have enough points.

If the document checklist remains unchanged after we check, and the Proof of Relationship documents are still requested from me, do you think that uploading the letter of explanation along with my proof of citizenship will suffice, and I will not have to upload any of my parents'/siblings' documentation? Or should I try to collect the documents and upload them just to be safe?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for the information. I will check with him to see if he had made a mistake earlier in the application in regards to my brother - although I don't think he would have claimed points for this. He completed his degree in Canada and has work experience here, so should have enough points.

If the document checklist remains unchanged after we check, and the Proof of Relationship documents are still requested from me, do you think that uploading the letter of explanation along with my proof of citizenship will suffice, and I will not have to upload any of my parents'/siblings' documentation? Or should I try to collect the documents and upload them just to be safe?
Well, it could be that he was just "answering questions" as opposed to intentionally declaring the relationship for points.

If that is not the case, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm about 99% sure that you only need to upload your info, but I usually tell people to follow IRCC instructions - better to give them what they asked for if possible.

Sammaiah@2013

Feb 9, 2019
Hey guys,
I have similar case my wife here in Canada on dependent work permit visa but I'm not including here in my PR application because she is planning to go India for one year. The question is what should i have to write in the explanation letter. please advise me. Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey guys,
I have similar case my wife here in Canada on dependent work permit visa but I'm not including here in my PR application because she is planning to go India for one year.

The question is what should i have to write in the explanation letter.
The ex
If you are married, you must include your spouse, either as accompanying or non-accompanying. Non-accompanying still has to do medicals, provide PCCs, etc. so as to preserve the right to sponsor later.

If she is planning to come back to Canada after one year, your best option is to include her in your application as accompanying.

schi0301

Jul 23, 2019

Hi

Could I know what you did at the end?
Did you provide:
Proof of PR/Citizenship of sibling,
Proof of residency in Canada of sibling
Proof of sibling relationship
Family Member Proof of Status

Or write a letter, attach your passport and birth certificate?
Thank you!!

helenaD

Star Member
Feb 8, 2011
BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any definitive answer on this scenario - question from an EE CEC applicant who mentioned they have a Canadian spouse as 'non-accompanying' in application, then document checklist is requiring 'police checks, proof of siblings citizenship etc? Can applicant simply upload spouses' Canadian birth Cert , and letter of explanation?
or is it better to just apply as 'single applicant' and remove spouse altogether from EE profile ?

schi0301

Jul 23, 2019
Any definitive answer on this scenario - question from an EE CEC applicant who mentioned they have a Canadian spouse as 'non-accompanying' in application, then document checklist is requiring 'police checks, proof of siblings citizenship etc? Can applicant simply upload spouses' Canadian birth Cert , and letter of explanation?
or is it better to just apply as 'single applicant' and remove spouse altogether from EE profile ?
You can't do single applicant' and remove spouse altogether from EE profile. Has to be true info.

At the end, I provided :
Proof of PR/Citizenship of sibling : His sister's CA passport
Proof of residency in Canada of sibling: His sister's bank bill
Proof of sibling relationship: Him, and His sister's birth certificate to prove they have the same parents.
Family Member Proof of Status: His parents' His sister's passport

Also write a letter to explain.

I know it's ridiculous, he is Canadian, why I need to prove all of it, IRCC can find the information in their system. But... I still provided those to them. And it worked.