+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Sponsor/US Spouse (Me) - Questions!

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
24-Feb-2014, SponsorshipApproved 01-Apr-2014
File Transfer...
01-Apr-2014 Officially rec'd Beijing 24-May-2014
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2013 "Medical Results rec'd" 01-Apr-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
You can never know what you'll get at the borders. I've been waived thru - and I've been subject to a 1-1/2 search when a guard-training was happening ???

jennylee844

Sep 30, 2014
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-08-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
CBSA doesn't go through belongings when you are landing or returning to canada as a citizen (at least in my experience, and as reported on here), unless there is a reason for concern. generally, they just ask you the same question multiple times to make sure you are giving consistant answers, look at your B4 list, and give you a receipt. i highly doubt CBSA is going to take the time to go through every single item in a uhaul full of boxes when a canadian is returning home. they would need to have some serious concerns about them bringing in contraband to warrant taking that much time. it is certainly a rare occassion where a CBSA officer would sit there and examine every item being brought in and confirming who owns what stuff. considering they are married, it would be difficult for anyone to determine what is his and what is hers. as long as the OP understands she is only visiting, can prove some ties back to the us and her pr application, there shouldn't be an issue. i do agree it's way easier to travel separately, though there are many couples who report no issue with the scenario above.
It depends on who you get. My parents who are Canadian citizens own an RV and travel to the US for 6 months a year. One time they basically just had someone come in and talk to them, do a general inspection and let them go. Another time, they went through everything they had in the RV, and inspected every area when coming back into Canada to ensure they werent bringing anything in they shouldn't, and that they documented all the things they got while outside of Canada. As a Canadian living abroad and coming back into Canada, I have received the same instruction, make sure you document everything as they will inspect and try to determine what is "new" and what was bought in the last year to try to make you pay duties. So it all just depends on who you get! If they are looking for that type of thing, and notice a lot of women's belongings, it could definitely raise a red flag.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I think we are getting a little off-track here. For the OP, CBSA will likely know that some of her stuff is in the U-Haul and it is really a matter of them analyzing the situation (whole family moving back to Canada and the applicant will stay there visiting while the application is being processed) and then letting her in. Depending on which CBSA officer she gets, they may take it easy on her or drill her with questions and such. But I am confident she will be let in if she is prepared and understands the situation (and clearly communicates it).

As for my own experience with driving a U-Haul to the border, it was 15+ years ago when I moved to Canada. I crossed at the Lewiston Bridge in Ontario. I had a list of goods. They looked at the list, then they opened the back of the U-Haul, looked inside for about a minute. I think they opened the closest box and took a quick glance inside. Then they closed the box, then the U-Haul door and that was it. Then they finished processing my paperwork and I was done.

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
Thanks everyone - all of this is really helpful, seriously.

I actually sent JayPinNC a private message and he responded with what he ended up posting in the thread you referenced, rhcohen2014! He and his wife are kind of my heroes right now.

Most of "my" stuff is not gender specific and could be claimed as my husband's. I think my "female" stuff would be just the right amount needed for a 6 month visit anyway... :p

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Glad to see I'm not the only one who had to send in an explanation letter in lieu of the FBI police certificate. I sent off for mine last November and still don't have it back. :p Mississauga received my application January 29th, so I'm just a couple weeks behind you!

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
We have now been here in Toronto for a little over a month and I am technically a visitor waiting for my PR (outland). I wanted to post an update/follow up if it would be helpful to anyone...

• We got AOR and SA right before we left (in mid-March) and everything was transferred to Ottawa.
  • Crossing the border at Queenston-Lewiston was a breeze - my husband drove the U-Haul and I was driving my mother's car with the kids. They didn't even look in the truck and just stamped my passport and waved us through! I did take the time to put an exhaustive B-4 list together for my husband to take with him - it was stamped and we didn't have to pay any duty. It was A LOT easier than I thought it would be.
  • I hadn't included the FBI letter (police certificate, whatever you want to call it) with my application because as everyone knows, they take a while. Shortly before we were about to leave NYC I got a letter from the FBI stating that my payment method was rejected - this was after I had already called them to update it (the account of the debit card I had used was compromised so I needed to get a new card) and sent a fax with the new info. I called again when I got the letter and spoke with someone really helpful who also updated my address to our new address in Canada. I received the FBI letter finally the first week of April and forwarded it to CPS Ottawa a few days later. I posted recently what happened next here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fbi-letter-rejected-by-cic-t283066.0.html
  • I tried to update our address online and it doesn't seem to be working... It said it would take 15 days and I think it has been longer than that. Better try again...
  • My 5 year old is enrolled in JPK and I'm taking care of our 2 year old. After working for the last 20 years it is strange to not have a job, but I am enjoying it while it lasts.
  • Because I am not eligible for OHIP we got emergency coverage for "visitors to Canada" which also covers my husband and the boys until their coverage starts at the end of June.
  • I got an Ontario driver's license, so at least I have an ID with my address on it!
  • My mother has decided to give me her car - it's still "visiting" along with me but once she signs it over to me I'll have to do the whole export/import thing.

I'll do some searching but if anyone has any quick answers to the following, let me know!

• When can I apply for OHIP? On the document list instructions that we picked up at Service Ontario, there is an item under List 1 (Proof of Citizenship/OHIP-Eligible Immigration Status) that states "Written confirmation from CIC that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada" - what does this mean? Is this something I can get or maybe it's only for inland applicants?
  • Any recommendations for car insurance in Toronto?

Thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Thanks for letting us know how it went.
For the proof you are eligible to apply for PR, maybe the sponsorship confirmation would be enough.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
monstergirly said:
We have now been here in Toronto for a little over a month and I am technically a visitor waiting for my PR (outland). I wanted to post an update/follow up if it would be helpful to anyone...

• We got AOR and SA right before we left (in mid-March) and everything was transferred to Ottawa.
  • Crossing the border at Queenston-Lewiston was a breeze - my husband drove the U-Haul and I was driving my mother's car with the kids. They didn't even look in the truck and just stamped my passport and waved us through! I did take the time to put an exhaustive B-4 list together for my husband to take with him - it was stamped and we didn't have to pay any duty. It was A LOT easier than I thought it would be.
  • I hadn't included the FBI letter (police certificate, whatever you want to call it) with my application because as everyone knows, they take a while. Shortly before we were about to leave NYC I got a letter from the FBI stating that my payment method was rejected - this was after I had already called them to update it (the account of the debit card I had used was compromised so I needed to get a new card) and sent a fax with the new info. I called again when I got the letter and spoke with someone really helpful who also updated my address to our new address in Canada. I received the FBI letter finally the first week of April and forwarded it to CPS Ottawa a few days later. I posted recently what happened next here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fbi-letter-rejected-by-cic-t283066.0.html
  • I tried to update our address online and it doesn't seem to be working... It said it would take 15 days and I think it has been longer than that. Better try again...
  • My 5 year old is enrolled in JPK and I'm taking care of our 2 year old. After working for the last 20 years it is strange to not have a job, but I am enjoying it while it lasts.
  • Because I am not eligible for OHIP we got emergency coverage for "visitors to Canada" which also covers my husband and the boys until their coverage starts at the end of June.
  • I got an Ontario driver's license, so at least I have an ID with my address on it!
  • My mother has decided to give me her car - it's still "visiting" along with me but once she signs it over to me I'll have to do the whole export/import thing.

I'll do some searching but if anyone has any quick answers to the following, let me know!

• When can I apply for OHIP? On the document list instructions that we picked up at Service Ontario, there is an item under List 1 (Proof of Citizenship/OHIP-Eligible Immigration Status) that states "Written confirmation from CIC that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada" - what does this mean? Is this something I can get or maybe it's only for inland applicants?
  • Any recommendations for car insurance in Toronto?

Thanks!
Good to hear you made it. I'm sure your work in putting together the comprehensive B4 help expedite your crossing. It tells the border officials that you came prepared and took the crossing seriously and they respect that.

As for OHIP, you are normally eligible 3 months after you officially become a PR (you are Outland, correct)? But there are cases where you may be able to apply sooner. Rob_TO is quite familiar with this and has posted a few times on this topic. For Inland, you can apply after stage 1.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
canadianwoman said:
Thanks for letting us know how it went.
For the proof you are eligible to apply for PR, maybe the sponsorship confirmation would be enough.
It didn't work for me at all! They wanted a COPR. I did make an appeal with OHIP though based on Rob_TO's recommendations, but I don't think it will go through until my file is at the 'in process' or 'decision made' status. At the very least, it might help me skip the 3 month waiting period once I get PR. Based on my appeal attempt and the inquiry with CBSA and CIC, they'll know that I've been in Ontario since Dec 2013.