+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Retirement Condition

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Have anyone done any researches or experiencing how retirement life can be in Canada?
I am a Canadian and I am currently applying my wife to be a permanent resident under the spouse sponsorship application.
And we because we are quite puzzled about the below topics:

1. Government Pensions?
As far as I know, there are three types of pensions you can get after years of 65.
- CPP
- RRSP
- OAS
but anyone knows how does these actually work, or how much approximately you will get each month?

2. Also the medical care?
- Do we need to pay for doctor fee? (I know we need to pay for medicines)
including the surgery fee? examination fee, etc?

Thanks all!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No offence but have you tried to google any of these things. Or google the medical system based on the province where you plan on living. There is a ton of information available. Best to read then ask questions. You are Canadian how do you not know about any of this?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No offence but have you tried to google any of these things. Or google the medical system based on the province where you plan on living. There is a ton of information available. Best to read then ask questions. You are Canadian how do you not know about any of this?
Exactly, if the o/p was even CLOSE to retirement age he would have a round about idea how much he’d get at least from CPP. As for asking how much he’d get from a RRSP plan, that’s just to ridiculous to even reply too.

Reactions: Alex54321

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have anyone done any researches or experiencing how retirement life can be in Canada?
I am a Canadian and I am currently applying my wife to be a permanent resident under the spouse sponsorship application.
And we because we are quite puzzled about the below topics:

1. Government Pensions?
As far as I know, there are three types of pensions you can get after years of 65.
- CPP
- RRSP
- OAS
but anyone knows how does these actually work, or how much approximately you will get each month?

2. Also the medical care?
- Do we need to pay for doctor fee? (I know we need to pay for medicines)
including the surgery fee? examination fee, etc?

Thanks all!!
Not sure why you are puzzled. All of this information is very easily found online.

CPP - CPP eligibility and information is in the link below. You must have worked in Canada and contributed to qualify.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-benefit/eligibility.html

RRSP - This is an investment account that you have to set up and contribute to yourself. If you have never set up or contributed to an RRSP then you won't get any money from one. This isn't government funded. It's funded by you.

OAS - OAS eligibility and information is in the link below. OAS requires you to have lived in Canada for 10-20 years from the age of 18 to qualify for at least a partial payment.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html

2. Doctor fees and surgery fees are covered provided you meet the residency requirements to qualify for coverage.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
As Scylla mentioned above , I was curious so in Google I put in CPP and OAS , in both circumstances it took me to direct links for the Federal Government, and from there a link too ;
Eligibility

For RRSP, it gave me a definition , and from there various RRSP providers .
So even if the o/p has never been to Canada, there is a treasure trove of information available online

Reactions: scylla