Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Often in Canada you will encounter a lot of weird people on public transport.

Story is a few months old, but worth sharing for new immigrants. Young men tried to urinate on a woman wearing a hijab on the Calgary C train. Lot of young punks, and again as per youth justice act cops can't do anything.

I urge potential immigrants to examine story and esp comments posted by viewers.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Calgary+woman+suggests+smartphone+safety+after+passenger/7869372/story.html

CALGARY — A Calgary woman says she hopes the city will develop a smartphone app enabling riders to report unsafe situations on transit after witnessing 10 youths making racist comments and harassing a CTrain passenger.

Kathleen Angel said she got on the Saddletowne-bound train at the 4th Street S.W. station around 5 p.m. Tuesday when 10 people in their late teens crammed onto the full train.

Soon after they piled in, they started hassling fellow passengers, making it hard for people to get in and out and physically grabbing at them. The teens eventually zeroed in on a young Muslim woman, Angel said.

“They were saying, ‘Go back to your country,’ ” Angel said, adding the youths also spoke loudly about knives, guns and other weapons.

Newer trains have help strips running along the walls of the cars, and, when pushed, can activate cameras so drivers can assess the situation. But this was an older train and the help button was too far for Angel to reach, she said, adding other riders appeared too fearful to take action.

Finally, when one of the youths started urinating on the floor, a young man yelled at him to stop and someone eventually alerted the driver, she said.

The youths got off at Marlborough station and fled before the driver arrived, Angel said. By then, the young woman who was being harassed had also left.

Angel said she’d like to see an app where people can report such incidents to transit security. Ideally the app would be GPS-loaded so security can see where the train is and where the report is coming from, she added.

She said she also wants Calgary Transit to educate the public about not being tolerant of harassment, racism and other disturbances, and hopes to see signs on trains and buses with numbers to call to report incidents.

Brian Whitelaw, co-ordinator of Calgary Transit public safety and enforcement, said they did not receive “a flood of calls” about this incident and it doesn’t appear a peace officer was dispatched.

He said his department is looking into the incident.

He added he likes Angel’s app suggestion.

“I do like the idea of establishing an app for these types of situations where you’ve got serious, anti-social behaviour,” he said.

Would you download a safety app for your smartphone, if one were available for Calgary CTrain users?
Yes
No
Not sure
Vote
View Results

These are the types of incidents peace officer are often called to, and he encouraged anyone who witnesses such confrontations to call 911 or Calgary Transit at 403-262-1000.

He said this particular incident sounded serious enough to warrant a 911 call, which would have dispatched police officers and alerted transit security.

Whitelaw recommended that if riders want to make a call for help without drawing attention to themselves, they could get off at the next stop, get onto a different car on the same train, and make the call from there.

“I can appreciate that it can be scary, the risk of drawing attention to themselves — as she identifies — until it becomes so outrageous that more people are motivated (to help),” he said.

He acknowledged that older trains aren’t equipped with the help strips along the walls, but urged people to try to activate the button if possible in case of an emergency. They are located near the doors on older trains.

“The key is the operator of the train. Once they become aware, they are the communication link to our peace officers or to the Calgary Police Service, based on what’s going on.”

Although he does not recommend that people report incidents over Twitter, he said staff monitor Twitter for any incidents. They also monitor all the train platforms and transit stations on a 24-hour basis.

He added staff maintain regular patrols to keep an eye out for incidents like the one Angel described.

“These are the cases we want to essentially reduce if not eliminate,” Whitelaw said.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Calgary+woman+suggests+smartphone+safety+after+passenger+harassed+CTrain+with+poll/7869372/story.html#ixzz2TVJB81BA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never seen anything like that on public transport in Canada but I'd like to add that if the passengers stick together, they can easily overpower a few punk kids and give them a spanking.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Sounds like a common occurrence on Caltrain, BART, or the VTA.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
On March 04, 2013 three teens snatched my iPhone5 at CTRain Station and Ran away, I gave them the chase but they vanished behind the building. They timed there snatching once train stopped and door opened.

I reported every corner, but anyway I cell phone was insured and I got the new one after sending police report to iPhone.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mic8400 said:
Keep in mind that this happens everywhere. Not just Canada. Canada's crime rate vs US is actually better.
This guy is very angry about something (don't know what) and has decided to bash Canada as best he can. His other posts are just as hateful and depressing as this one. No use in trying to talk to him. He's a troll.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
amikety said:
This guy is very angry about something (don't know what) and has decided to bash Canada as best he can. His other posts are just as hateful and depressing as this one. No use in trying to talk to him. He's a troll.
+1

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Difference between Public Transport I experienced

1) Toronto - Bus driver held the whole bus coz an Asian woman with 2 small kids were short 1 dollar, he wouldn't move

2) Vancouver - Rider is having a hard time finding change and says "sorry". bus driver lets her sit

My father uses the bus a lot, they know him so well that they drop close to this location even though there is no stop

Day/Night difference between the congested Toronto and relaxed Vancouver

Bless my fortune I moved here after 5 years in that cold cold Ontario

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh, you can get uptight drivers in Vancouver too. A friend of mine who lives there was once held hostage by a bus driver when a lady passenger wanted to enter with a bus pass that the driver decided was fake. He stopped and locked the bus and refused to move. Several people went up and offered to pay the ticket for the lady but he would not move. Several people wanted to get off the bus but he refused to open the doors. In the end, some bus co. authority showed up and it was found that the lady's pass was not fake, just a bit faded.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
user828 said:
Difference between Public Transport I experienced

1) Toronto - Bus driver held the whole bus coz an Asian woman with 2 small kids were short 1 dollar, he wouldn't move

2) Vancouver - Rider is having a hard time finding change and says "sorry". bus driver lets her sit

My father uses the bus a lot, they know him so well that they drop close to this location even though there is no stop

Day/Night difference between the congested Toronto and relaxed Vancouver

Bless my fortune I moved here after 5 years in that cold cold Ontario
I've seen a guy thrown off the bus for a quarter and given a free ride when I forgot my bus pass. All in the same city. It depends on the driver and their mood. Although some are always grouchy but you find that everywhere.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
amikety said:
I'm not angry at all, :) , remember I'm a Canadian, I have no reason to "bash" or "hate" Canada. Just want to state it like it is.

I'm just sick and tired of people pretending Canada is all rose petals and honey, it isn't. People overrate Canada way way too much and I just want to bring a little "reality" to the forum.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
mic8400 said:
Keep in mind that this happens everywhere. Not just Canada. Canada's crime rate vs US is actually better.
No, not true at all in reality. There are lies and statistics. Yes the U.S has violent crime, but it also has a lots of race and poverty issues that I don't want to get in to. Most of the crime is just gangs killing each other in parts of the city no one EVER goes to.

In the normal and nice parts of the city it is actually pretty nice and safe.

In Canada we have so much property crime, home invasions etc..and a person isn't even allowed to defend their property. You could shoot a criminal breaking into your house, and would have to spend years clearing your name.

In Vancouver you can live in an expensive part of town, yet your car will be broken into all the time. Try telling the cops and see if they care.

Further, even if a criminal is caught the horrid justice system in Canada will make sure he/she is out and about in NO time. In the U.S crime has serious consequences.

Canada has a pathetic soft justice system, and youth can pretty much get away with anything. There was a drunk driver who killed a family of 4 and only got 3 years in jail, and was out in about 1.5 years on parole!!!! What a sick country.

If you think we don't have crime, try Winnipeg. A girl who moved there had her car stolen, then was attacked by a bunch of people on the bus.

I mean Canada is no Switzerland. The cities are grimy, run down dumps for the most part.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Just ask anyone using the Calgary LRT at night, it is def not safe at all. You will see drunks, tons of anti social behavior etc...I could go on and on about the horrid things I've seen. A Fillipino woman was followed, raped and killed just a few years ago around the Shawnessy LRT platform.

The guy who did it had a history of violence and abuse, yet kept getting released over and over. This type of stuff really pisses me of about Canada.

We have pathetic judges and a horrid court system.

A girl was raped in Airdree, and took the case to court. Case took so long to come to trial that the judge had to throw it out.

These are just some examples of the kind of crap that goes on in Canada.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
That's the kind of crap that goes on anywhere.

Make sure to let people know thefts, assaults, and murders happen in Canada too since surely we all believe that there is no such thing in Canada.

Being from San Francisco, and San Jose/Santa Clara, the latter metro being one of the safer big cities in the US, I feel safer in Toronto or Calgary than those cities mentioned, never mind far safer than most other large US cities.

Canada should be commended on the lower crime rates, lower gun murders, and higher overall safety.

OTOH, there is no convincing a malcontent, so carry on with the monotonous crusade.