+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR working remotely for US company as W2 employee - Basic questions

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Contractor is a layer between me and the actual company. They will be basically hiring me and running my payroll.
If they are Canadian-based, and acting like a PEO (i.e., treating you as a Canadian resident employee working for them, a Canadian organization; withholding Canadian taxes on your behalf, handling benefits and the like, paying you in Canadian $), then they are essentially leasing you out to the U.S. company and dealing with the U.S. side of the matters so you don't have to. But as Canuck78 has recommended, I'd run this by an accountant.

Totoro1661

Star Member
Feb 11, 2019
There are few suggestions to open a company in Canada in our own name and then the contractor will pay to that company.
Setting up corporations in Canada comes with costs that you will want to be aware of before doing that (legal cost for registration, minute book, accounting fees to file each year tax return for the corporation AND for yourself, additional bookkeeping, not to say if you perform all services on behalf of the company there will be additional tax complications).
That being said if you are self-employed, you can provide services entirely from Canada as a contractor. There will be no double taxation providing that you structure your services correctly and file required tax returns.