+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR with Previous US Visa Not Able to See Visa Interview Waiver Questionnaire

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian PR waiting for my citizenship. My spouse's H1B was approved and wouldn't be needing a visa (Canadian citizen). I had completed a DS-160 and wanted to schedule a visa appointment for H4 but the appointment availabilities were far away.

Upon the announcement of a visa interview waiver for certain classes of visas, I called the Toronto call center which guided me on how to ascertain eligibility for an interview waiver. As of then, I had access to the visa interview waiver questionnaire but didn't proceed with answering the questions as I realized my passport had less than 6 months of validity. Fast forward, I got my passport renewed, updated my DS-160, and saved the application hoping that the questionnaire will pop up. However, the interview waiver questionnaire does not show up anymore.

I contacted the call center and I was told that if I don't see the questionnaire, it means that I am not eligible for the interview waiver - this I find difficult to believe as my eligibility will be determined after I had answered questions. I had access to it before, what changed?

Please can someone with any experienced help suggest how I can navigate through this challenge?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian PR waiting for my citizenship. My spouse's H1B was approved and wouldn't be needing a visa (Canadian citizen). I had completed a DS-160 and wanted to schedule a visa appointment for H4 but the appointment availabilities were far away.

Upon the announcement of a visa interview waiver for certain classes of visas, I called the Toronto call center which guided me on how to ascertain eligibility for an interview waiver. As of then, I had access to the visa interview waiver questionnaire but didn't proceed with answering the questions as I realized my passport had less than 6 months of validity. Fast forward, I got my passport renewed, updated my DS-160, and saved the application hoping that the questionnaire will pop up. However, the interview waiver questionnaire does not show up anymore.

I contacted the call center and I was told that if I don't see the questionnaire, it means that I am not eligible for the interview waiver - this I find difficult to believe as my eligibility will be determined after I had answered questions. I had access to it before, what changed?

Please can someone with any experienced help suggest how I can navigate through this challenge?
What do you mean by you had access to it before?? Firstly, if you had access to it earlier, you wouldn't have access to go back from there, thats not possible, if thats so easy, everyone will have two options isn't it? simple , so dont think too much, its either Dropbox or Interview, you can't choose what you want, its the system that decides. If you still want to try that out, leave this account, create a new account, pay fee and you can check your eligibility again.

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
What do you mean by you had access to it before?? Firstly, if you had access to it earlier, you wouldn't have access to go back from there, thats not possible, if thats so easy, everyone will have two options isn't it? simple , so dont think too much, its either Dropbox or Interview, you can't choose what you want, its the system that decides. If you still want to try that out, leave this account, create a new account, pay fee and you can check your eligibility again.
Thank you for the reply.

What I meant by had access to it before is that the call center worked me through on how to assess eligibility. Upon his instructions, I saw the questionnaire which I met all the questions. But since my passport had less than 6 months validity, the call center agent advised that I don't send my passport but renew it before doing so. Hence, I didn't respond to the questions. I used to close button to get out of the questionnaire. I even recalled having logged in some time while waiting for my passport renewal and since saw the questionnaire but didn't make any selections.

About the system deciding - isn't supposed to be based on the responses one gave to the questions asked? Can the system automatically decide not to pop the question to certain applicants?

About creating a new account in order to try my eligibility - that seems unfair. I seem disenfranchised on what I know that I am qualified to get!

I am still wondering why this is happening!!!