+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR. Visiting citizen dad in US without a job. Chances of inadmissibility?

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Hi guys.. please help me with this issue..

2013-2015: Finished MS in Canada, recd 3yr work permit, multiple visits to visit dad (US citizen since 2 years) in US no issue
2016: Inadmissibility at Can-US land border due to no return ticket (as I was planning to even visit India for a few months after visiting dad for 2-3 months), end of Canadian apt lease, no employment, pending GC application in US, etc. Asked to carry return ticket, financial proof and proof of residence in Canada upon next entry.
2017: Started my first Canadian job in March, was allowed entry into US (to visit Detroit/Vegas but not father) in July without any issues, made 10-15+ one-day/overnight visits to Detroit via same border later without issues. Received Canadian PR in September (only have COPR in passport, PR card has been mailed to Canadian address after I flew to India). Left job in October to visit India for 3 months for family weddings and stuff.

Since I'm again unemployed right now, I have an opportunity to visit my father in SFO for 1 month which I can't when I'm working since it's 4 hrs away by flight, and flying there for 2-3 days isn't worth it. So I'm first planning to fly to the US with my mother (Greencard holder since 1 year and visited dad last year for 6 months) from India in January end and then go back to Canada in February end. My mother would be staying back with dad. But I'm afraid my lack of employment would make the US officials suspicious again. I have my Canadian apt lease (April 2017-March 2018), utility bills, previous employment experience letter, bank statements etc. to show as ties to Canada but would that be enough? Would accompanying my mom, a greencard holder go against me as well as it may seem I might stay back with mom and dad?

I'm also going to carry a return ticket (albeit to Detroit and not Canada) since I want to take the cheaper tunnel bus from Detroit to cross the Detroit-Windsor tunnel in Canada, as I live in Windsor.

Would any of the above create any issues? Is there something specific I should answer to any of their questions? Kindly suggest!

Last edited:

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016

2013-2015: Finished MS in Canada, recd 3yr work permit, multiple visits to visit dad (US citizen since 2 years) in US no issue
2016: Inadmissibility at Can-US land border due to no return ticket (as I was planning to even visit India for a few months after visiting dad for 2-3 months), end of Canadian apt lease, no employment, pending GC application in US, etc. Asked to carry return ticket, financial proof and proof of residence in Canada upon next entry.
2017: Started my first Canadian job in March, was allowed entry into US (to visit Detroit/Vegas but not father) in July without any issues, made 10-15+ visits to Detroit via same border later without issues. Received Canadian PR in September (only have COPR in passport, PR card has been mailed to Canadian address after I flew to India). Left job in October to visit India for 3 months for family weddings and stuff.

Since I'm again unemployed right now, I have an opportunity to visit my father in SFO for 1 month. So I'm planning to fly to the US with my mother from India first (Greencard holder since 1 year) and then go back to Canada in February end. My mother would be staying back with dad. But I'm afraid my lack of employment would make the US officials suspicious again. I have my Canadian apt lease (April 2017-March 2018), utility bills, previous employment experience letter, bank statements etc. to show as ties to Canada but would that be enough? Would accompanying my mom, a greencard holder go against me as well as it may seem I might stay back with mom and dad?

Please suggest!
Unfortunately, the fact that you're unemployed, have no family responsibilities in Canada (kids, wife etc.), have been denied entry into the US before and have an Indian passport would work all against you. You might not be denied entry, but I wouldn't take any chances if I were you. The more denials you have on record, the lower your chances of being let in on a future visit.

"Would accompanying my mom, a greencard holder go against me as well as it may seem I might stay back with mom and dad?"

That certainly wouldn't help your case, no.

" I have my Canadian apt lease (April 2017-March 2018), utility bills, previous employment experience letter, bank statements etc. to show as ties to Canada but would that be enough?"

Unfortunately, no. None of those are strong ties. Current employment, ownership of real estate or a business or having dependent family members would be far stronger. Based on what you've shared here, you don't appear to have very strong ties to Canada.

I'd hold off on visiting the US for a few months.

Last edited:

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Unfortunately, the fact that you're unemployed, have no family responsibilities in Canada (kids, wife etc.), have been denied entry into the US before and have an Indian passport would work all against you. You might not be denied entry, but I wouldn't take any chances if I were you. The more denials you have on record, the lower your chances of being let in on a future visit.

"Would accompanying my mom, a greencard holder go against me as well as it may seem I might stay back with mom and dad?"

So how do you suggest I make a 1 month visit to my dad's place? I certainly can't do it if employed.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013

" I have my Canadian apt lease (April 2017-March 2018), utility bills, previous employment experience letter, bank statements etc. to show as ties to Canada but would that be enough?"

Unfortunately, no. None of those are strong ties. Current employment, ownership of real estate or a business or having dependent family members would be far stronger. Based on what you've shared here, you don't appear to have very strong ties to Canada.

I'd hold off on visiting the US for a few months.
Infact I forgot to mention, my mother isn't that fit, has had a hip replacement last year and can't travel alone. So I can't let her go alone.

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
So how do you suggest I make a 1 month visit to my dad's place? I certainly can't do it if employed.
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. My parents are US citizens and I became a Canadian PR recently.

Without stable employment, it would be really hard.

You could try to enter the US but I wouldn't bet on your chances of getting in but you might get lucky (there are no guarantees in immigration, it would really depend on the border officer you encounter). There is no way around this, unfortunately till you either become a Canadian citizen or get a NEXUS card.

I would suggest having your parents visit you in Canada instead. They wouldn't need visas to enter Canada. That's what we're doing.

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
Infact I forgot to mention, my mother isn't that fit, has had a hip replacement last year and can't travel alone. So I can't let her go alone.
You could try to explain this to the border officer. That might help your chances, but I'm not sure.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. My parents are US citizens and I became a Canadian PR recently.

Without stable employment, it would be really hard.

You could try to enter the US but I wouldn't bet on your chances of getting in but you might get lucky (there are no guarantees in immigration, it would really depend on the border officer you encounter). There is no way around this, unfortunately till you either become a Canadian citizen or get a NEXUS card.

I would suggest having your parents visit you in Canada instead. They wouldn't need visas to enter Canada. That's what we're doing.
They already did that last year while I was working. I want to go to San Francisco!

clguy

Apr 7, 2017

2017: Started my first Canadian job in March, was allowed entry into US (to visit Detroit/Vegas but not father) in July without any issues, made 10-15+ one-day/overnight visits to Detroit via same border later without issues. Received Canadian PR in September (only have COPR in passport, PR card has been mailed to Canadian address after I flew to India). Left job in October to visit India for 3 months for family weddings and stuff.

Since I'm again unemployed right now, I have an opportunity to visit my father in SFO for 1 month which I can't when I'm working since it's 4 hrs away by flight, and flying there for 2-3 days isn't worth it. So I'm first planning to fly to the US with my mother (Greencard holder since 1 year and visited dad last year for 6 months) from India in January end and then go back to Canada in February end. My mother would be staying back with dad. But I'm afraid my lack of employment would make the US officials suspicious again. I have my Canadian apt lease (April 2017-March 2018), utility bills, previous employment experience letter, bank statements etc. to show as ties to Canada but would that be enough? Would accompanying my mom, a greencard holder go against me as well as it may seem I might stay back with mom and dad?

I'm also going to carry a return ticket (albeit to Detroit and not Canada) since I want to take the cheaper tunnel bus from Detroit to cross the Detroit-Windsor tunnel in Canada, as I live in Windsor.

Would any of the above create any issues? Is there something specific I should answer to any of their questions? Kindly suggest!
You were denied entry initially because you didn't have a return ticket. When traveling to US make sure you have a return ticket. At inspection be honest with the border patrol officer.

None of those situations(traveling with mother who is a green card holder, no employment, pending GC application in US) you described would render you inadmissible. None make you more likely to be denied entry either. There are thousands of people who enter the US on yearly basis without jobs who either were refused entry or deported previously or have pending immigrant visa applications. Like I said just be honest and at the very least have a return ticket when you are not driving your personal vehicle.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
You were denied entry initially because you didn't have a return ticket. When traveling to US make sure you have a return ticket. At inspection be honest with the border patrol officer.

None of those situations(traveling with mother who is a green card holder, no employment, pending GC application in US) you described would render you inadmissible. None make you more likely to be denied entry either. There are thousands of people who enter the US on yearly basis without jobs who either were refused entry or deported previously or have pending immigrant visa applications. Like I said just be honest and at the very least have a return ticket when you are not driving your personal vehicle.
That is so relieving to hear, thanks. However, if you noticed, I mentioned that I want to return to Canada via land (Detroit-Windsor tunnel bus) from the US, which means my return ticket would essentially be to Detroit, MI and not a Canadian city. Do you think that's a problem? I don't want to be flying to Toronto and then back to Windsor because that's more time-consuming and 3x expensive.

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
That is so relieving to hear, thanks. However, if you noticed, I mentioned that I want to return to Canada via land (Detroit-Windsor tunnel bus) from the US, which means my return ticket would essentially be to Detroit, MI and not a Canadian city. Do you think that's a problem? I don't want to be flying to Toronto and then back to Windsor because that's more time-consuming and 3x expensive.
Get a return ticket to a Canadian city.

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
You're not making much sense, if you're already in Windsor and it's cheaper to go by bus then you should also go by bus to Detroit, no? So get a return to Detroit by bus and from Detroit get a return to SFO by air...

In short, either you enter by land and exit by land or you enter and exit by air, mixing both and staying over two weeks will undoubtedly make the officer suspicious and given that you've been refused entry once already that you'll want to play it as safe as you can.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
You're not making much sense, if you're already in Windsor and it's cheaper to go by bus then you should also go by bus to Detroit, no? So get a return to Detroit by bus and from Detroit get a return to SFO by air...

In short, either you enter by land and exit by land or you enter and exit by air, mixing both and staying over two weeks will undoubtedly make the officer suspicious and given that you've been refused entry once already that you'll want to play it as safe as you can.
I'm not in Windsor. I'm on vacation back home in India since 3 months.

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
Well do as clguy says then.
Yes, I will surely get a return ticket to Toronto. However, I'm not sure if that's enough. Someone suggested saying that I'm "still employed" and not saying that I resigned to take a vacation.