+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR to marry a US citizen

ziared

Jul 9, 2012
Hello,

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident and I landed in Canada on the 7th of July, 2010. I met my American fiance 4 months after I landed, on November 2010. We just got engaged this July 1st, 2012 and we are planning to settle in the states for good. We will start processing our papers soon through the K-1 Fiancee Visa(US). I would like to ask for help on the following concerns:

1.) Will I be able to keep my Canadian permanent resident status until I get my US citizenship?

2.) Am I going to be allowed to travel in and out of US or out and back to Canada while the sponsorship is processing?

3.) Am I going to be sent back to my country of origin while the sponsorship is processing?

There has not been any similar case as I have upon research. But I would like to make sure that loopholes are seen before we start the processing.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) You will be able to keep your PR status while you still meet the residency requirements, that is, you have stayed 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and any 5 year period after that. Your PR card should come up for renewal in 2015. If you have at that point 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years, you can apply to renew your PR card for another 5 years. I do not know how long it takes to get US citizenship.

2) As a Canadian PR, you are allowed to enter Canada any time. Entering the US depends on your passport / visa status or green card status in the US.

3) I do not see who would send you back to your country and why.

NephThys

May 13, 2019
Hi.

I m also a Canadian PR engaged to a US Citizen. I've lived in Canada for 11 years now. Moved here in May 4th 2008. Met my fiance online in 2018. We got engaged in November of 2018. Have been together 7 months now.
My fiance and I are planning to meet in the next few weeks for the first time. And planning to get married.
How do we go on about the paperwork for this?
Can I stay with him in the states while the paperwork is being processed without being deported back to Canada?