+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR Parents sponsoring a US born child

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Hi all,

I read through prior posts on this subject but couldn't find answer to some of my questions.

Situation: Me and my wife are PR holders residing in the US. We did our landing formalities in May 2019 and now have PR cards in our hands. We since had a baby girl in the US who by birth is a US citizen.

I will be moving to Canada in March 2020 and will be working for my US employer in Canada.

While I know my daughter can travel with us as a visitor based on her US passport, I want to apply for a PR for my daughter for longer term residency.

I read on the CIC website that I can't sponsor anyone as a PR who is currently residing outside of Canada.

Questions:
  1. What are my options to apply for a PR for my daughter now? Is applying after moving to Canada in Mar 2020 the only way to go?
  2. While my wife and I will have to wait for 3 months after we move to receive our health cards, I am afraid my daughter won't be eligible for these benefits until she becomes a PR (add 3 months for her too). Where should I look for her health coverage in the mean time as a visitor in Canada?
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I read through prior posts on this subject but couldn't find answer to some of my questions.

Situation: Me and my wife are PR holders residing in the US. We did our landing formalities in May 2019 and now have PR cards in our hands. We since had a baby girl in the US who by birth is a US citizen.

I will be moving to Canada in March 2020 and will be working for my US employer in Canada.

While I know my daughter can travel with us as a visitor based on her US passport, I want to apply for a PR for my daughter for longer term residency.

I read on the CIC website that I can't sponsor anyone as a PR who is currently residing outside of Canada.

Questions:
  1. What are my options to apply for a PR for my daughter now? Is applying after moving to Canada in Mar 2020 the only way to go?
  2. While my wife and I will have to wait for 3 months after we move to receive our health cards, I am afraid my daughter won't be eligible for these benefits until she becomes a PR (add 3 months for her too). Where should I look for her health coverage in the mean time as a visitor in Canada?
Thanks in advance.
1) Either you or your spouse must be living in Canada to submit the application to sponsor your daughter. If you are living outside of Canada, you cannot sponsor her and the application will be refused if you try.
2) You should look to purchase travel insurance to cover emergencies. You will have to pay for non-emergency care out of pocket.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
1) Either you or your spouse must be living in Canada to submit the application to sponsor your daughter. If you are living outside of Canada, you cannot sponsor her and the application will be refused if you try.
2) You should look to purchase travel insurance to cover emergencies. You will have to pay for non-emergency care out of pocket.
Thanks scylla.

I was really hoping there is an alternate option. But if not, I will have to deal with it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not really, given my personal circumstances but I get your point.
They were personal circumstances thus your choice. You chose when to apply for PR, to do a short landing and perhaps when to get pregnant. Luckily you will be in Canada paying for routine care versus the US so likely under $500-1000 plus the cost of emergency coverage.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
They were personal circumstances thus your choice. You chose when to apply for PR, to do a short landing and perhaps when to get pregnant. Luckily you will be in Canada paying for routine care versus the US so likely under $500-1000 plus the cost of emergency coverage.
Hi Canuck78 - I got clarity on the subject I was looking to gain. I appreciate you visiting this thread and sharing your opinion.

Thanks and have a good day.

Reactions: mahtax

manishdamani271

Star Member
May 10, 2013
Hi @@dumdum_yo . I am in same situation as yours. Can you share your experience? I am specifically looking to understand if I need to get any VISA for my US citizen baby or I can directly take entry from Canadian border and after that apply for PR ?

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Hi @@dumdum_yo . I am in same situation as yours. Can you share your experience? I am specifically looking to understand if I need to get any VISA for my US citizen baby or I can directly take entry from Canadian border and after that apply for PR ?
Hi Manish,

As a US citizen, the baby doesn't need to apply for a formal visitor visa. You can simply bring the baby with you when coming to Canada and Border Security will stamp the passport with entry stamp indicating the baby can stay here for 6 months.

Once you get here, you will need to apply for the PR (by post, online option not available). Pre-Covid wait time was around 11 months on the website but you can count on it to be delayed now. I applied in mid-March and we are in late June and I haven't even received the acknowledgement. There is a stage in the PR process where you would receive a notification that the baby is eligible to be a PR and further steps need to be taken (I am yet to learn more). But using this letter/notification, you can apply for OHIP (assuming you are moving to Ontario).

Until OHIP is applied, you will need to get medical coverage for the baby. Due to COVID, government has waived the 3 months wait period for new OHIP applications. So you can apply as soon as you are done with your 14 day quarantine. I was able to secure medical coverage for me and my family through my employer for 3 months. Now I need to continue the coverage for my baby and bear the cost out of pocket (~$150/month for Manulife).

Hope this answers your question and then some. :)

PS: I had prepared all the PR application documents while I was in US. And simply posted from Canada when I got here. The sooner you apply the better.

manishdamani271

Star Member
May 10, 2013
Hi Manish,

As a US citizen, the baby doesn't need to apply for a formal visitor visa. You can simply bring the baby with you when coming to Canada and Border Security will stamp the passport with entry stamp indicating the baby can stay here for 6 months.

Once you get here, you will need to apply for the PR (by post, online option not available). Pre-Covid wait time was around 11 months on the website but you can count on it to be delayed now. I applied in mid-March and we are in late June and I haven't even received the acknowledgement. There is a stage in the PR process where you would receive a notification that the baby is eligible to be a PR and further steps need to be taken (I am yet to learn more). But using this letter/notification, you can apply for OHIP (assuming you are moving to Ontario).

Until OHIP is applied, you will need to get medical coverage for the baby. Due to COVID, government has waived the 3 months wait period for new OHIP applications. So you can apply as soon as you are done with your 14 day quarantine. I was able to secure medical coverage for me and my family through my employer for 3 months. Now I need to continue the coverage for my baby and bear the cost out of pocket (~$150/month for Manulife).

Hope this answers your question and then some. :)

PS: I had prepared all the PR application documents while I was in US. And simply posted from Canada when I got here. The sooner you apply the better.
Thank you very much for your response. Really appreciate your time. I have few more queries;

1) "There is a stage in the PR process where you would receive a notification that the baby is eligible to be a PR and further steps need to be taken (I am yet to learn more). But using this letter/notification, you can apply for OHIP (assuming you are moving to Ontario)."

After how many days of application do we receive this notification ? I am assuming you have received OHIP for your baby. In that case why you are still paying for Manulife coverage ?

2) Do I need to secure any full time job or need to provide any Proof of Fund before applying for sponsorship for my baby ? Do we need to provide any type of financial information?

3) So for child sponsorship , can any parent become the sponsor or do they require both parents to be on application? I am asking this because my wife is still short to full fill 730 days of residential obligation and she cannot become sponsor before getting her PR RO time period complete. Only I can become sponsor.

Sorry for all questions but really appreciate your time.

Thanks.

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
Thank you very much for your response. Really appreciate your time. I have few more queries;

1) "There is a stage in the PR process where you would receive a notification that the baby is eligible to be a PR and further steps need to be taken (I am yet to learn more). But using this letter/notification, you can apply for OHIP (assuming you are moving to Ontario)."

After how many days of application do we receive this notification ? I am assuming you have received OHIP for your baby. In that case why you are still paying for Manulife coverage ?

2) Do I need to secure any full time job or need to provide any Proof of Fund before applying for sponsorship for my baby ? Do we need to provide any type of financial information?

3) So for child sponsorship , can any parent become the sponsor or do they require both parents to be on application? I am asking this because my wife is still short to full fill 730 days of residential obligation and she cannot become sponsor before getting her PR RO time period complete. Only I can become sponsor.

Sorry for all questions but really appreciate your time.

Thanks.
Not certain. It's not actually a milestone as such in governments process so they don't forecast. I haven't received this so can't apply for OHIP hence the out of pocket coverage.

I am not certain but I have read at places that since it's the baby you are sponsoring financial support may not be as important as keeping the family together. But research more on this. I had a job so I sent them my offer letter and bank statements with account balance to demonstrate capability to support my family financially.

I think one parent can sponsor but it had some additional forms or consent documents that needed to be filled. It was easier for me to just put my wife's name in the forms I was already submitting. Research more I would say.

Reactions: manishdamani271

Enroyal15

Jan 27, 2022
Hi all,

Questions:
Thanks in advance.
Hello,
We're in a similar situation. Wondering how you went about filling the financial assessment form for sponsorship. We have no tax history in Canada and will be moving this spring with our US born infant.
Thanks so much!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
We're in a similar situation. Wondering how you went about filling the financial assessment form for sponsorship. We have no tax history in Canada and will be moving this spring with our US born infant.
Thanks so much!!
You can only apply when at least one parent is in Canada. Submit proof of your savings and update your application when you’ve found Canadian employment. Does your spouse have a visa to work in the US or else he should work with an accountant in order to set up the best way to get paid as a consultant in Canada.