Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.
I had a question regarding residency requirements,
I am a PR and will be traveling to US on j1 Visa. It's a town close to border. I was wondering if I travel to US daily, would that count towards my stay in Canada for maintaining residency? I read somewhere that any day started or ended in Canada counts as a day in Canada, but does getting a j1 Visa for US makes it any different? Please guide, or if someone was in a similar situation, please share your experience.
Thank you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The type of visa you have to the US doesn't change the fact that if you start or end the day in Canada it counts as a day for residency purposes.

Just don't cut it close by returning at two minutes to midnight.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi.
I had a question regarding residency requirements,
I am a PR and will be traveling to US on j1 Visa. It's a town close to border. I was wondering if I travel to US daily, would that count towards my stay in Canada for maintaining residency? I read somewhere that any day started or ended in Canada counts as a day in Canada, but does getting a j1 Visa for US makes it any different? Please guide, or if someone was in a similar situation, please share your experience.
Thank you.
It doesn't matter if you have a J1 visa. The days still count.

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your replies. To that end, is there anything that frequent travellers can do to make their border crossing hassle free?
Like nexus?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thank you for your replies. To that end, is there anything that frequent travellers can do to make their border crossing hassle free?
Like nexus?
NEXUS can make things much easier. NEXUS is designed for people who travel across the border frequently.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you may be doing a residency or working as an MD in the US. Not a typical visa for people crossing almost daily so you may get pushback from either US or Canadian border agents.

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assume you may be doing a residency or working as an MD in the US. Not a typical visa for people crossing almost daily so you may get pushback from either US or Canadian border agents.
Yes. That is what I will be doing! So you think that will make things complicated then? Pushback how?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There will be no pushback from CBSA, as OP would be a PR in compliance with the RO and with the right to leave and enter Canada.

I doubt US CBP would care, as OP has the legal right to work in the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There will be no pushback from CBSA, as OP would be a PR in compliance with the RO and with the right to leave and enter Canada.

I doubt US CBP would care, as OP has the legal right to work in the US.
J1 is a cultural and educational exchange visa so not living in the US may create discussion at the US border. Looked but couldn’t see if there was a residency in the US component. Most are trying hard to get to live in US through J1. It is not a common situation.

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
J1 is a cultural and educational exchange visa so not living in the US may create discussion at the US border. Looked but couldn’t see if there was a residency in the US component. Most are trying hard to get to live in US through J1. It is not a common situation.
So you think I am in the clear? What would be a good way to make sure ?

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, as long as I satisfy RO like this, would I be eligible for citizenship? Or would they frown upon such a record number of visits outside?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Also, as long as I satisfy RO like this, would I be eligible for citizenship? Or would they frown upon such a record number of visits outside?
As long as you meet the physical presence requirement, you would be eligible.

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A side question.
If someone had option of getting us citizenship 8 or 9 years down the road as opposed to getting Canadian citizenship with a little trouble in two years, what would you have preferred? Career prospects are mostly in the US.

janus205

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you think I am in the clear? What would be a good way to make sure ?
A side question.
If someone had option of getting us citizenship 8 or 9 years down the road as opposed to getting Canadian citizenship with a little trouble in two years, what would you have preferred? Career prospects are mostly in the US.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
A side question.
That is a personal choice. I don’t think anyone here has the right to advice you on that. Try asking a family member or a close friend?