+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR Immigration VISA

RJ28

Nov 26, 2016
Hi everyone!

My husband and I applied for PR through the QSWP. We did our medicals last year on December 14 (2015); We only received our passport request this month on November 18 (2016). We deposited our passports at our local visa office last Monday.

Can a PR visa be valid for only 2 weeks or even less than a month? Have any of you ever heard of such a case? We've already started to prepare ourselves but if that's the case, it'll still be pretty hectic.

Thanks in advance for your input!

janz

Star Member
Sep 20, 2015
Why the delay in requesting the passport? So your visa will expire on dec 2016 ? Little time to prepare . Hope you can ask for an extension if that is possible.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
RJ28 said:
Hi everyone!

My husband and I applied for PR through the QSWP. We did our medicals last year on December 14 (2015); We only received our passport request this month on November 18 (2016). We deposited our passports at our local visa office last Monday.

Can a PR visa be valid for only 2 weeks or even less than a month? Have any of you ever heard of such a case? We've already started to prepare ourselves but if that's the case, it'll still be pretty hectic.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Yes, this can happen. We have even seen a case where the COPR had expired before being delivered to the applicant. However, most times that it's cutting it close, they will extend the medical examination validity.

RJ28

Nov 26, 2016
My husband was on a work permit in Canada when he filed his federal application but the permit expired and he had to move back to his home country. This caused our application to get transferred from Nova Scotia to Pretoria which in turn resulted in the delay.

zardoz said:
Yes, this can happen. We have even seen a case where the COPR had expired before being delivered to the applicant. However, most times that it's cutting it close, they will extend the medical examination validity.
Thank you for your response. We're keeping our fingers crossed, hoping that they'll, in fact, extend it.

I have one more question though. If it so happens that they do give us only till 14 December on our visa, can we land on the 14th or do we have to land before that particular date (i.e. the 13th)?

jacktheback

Dec 3, 2016
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you know how long does it take from the time you send the passport until when the visa is issued? Our processing center is Ottawa and we are planning on going for vacation.

Thanks a lot!

RJ28

Nov 26, 2016
Soooooo, it turns out that an immigrant visa can actually be valid for only 2 weeks.

RJ28

Nov 26, 2016
jacktheback said:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you know how long does it take from the time you send the passport until when the visa is issued? Our processing center is Ottawa and we are planning on going for vacation.

Thanks a lot!

Hello Jack,

The processing times varies from case to case; it's very difficult to give you an approximation. Ours took nearly a year!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
RJ28 said:
Soooooo, it turns out that an immigrant visa can actually be valid for only 2 weeks.
Yes... Time to fly to Canada, "land" as permanent residents and return. Best to do it as soon as possible, just in case travel plans go bad due to weather etc. If you miss it by even a day, you will almost certainly have problems.