+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR from IT worker Visa from inside country

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
Hi,

I have got a job in Canada and landing there after getting IT worker visa for 1 year. This is the max. duration of visa.

My question is since my job is permanent in Canada and i would like to settle there. what are the options i have.

Which visa category should i use once i am in Canada so that i can stay there with PR.

How easy or difficult it will be keeping in mind that i will apply again from inside Canada.

Any suggestion will be welcom

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
Guys, It seems that either my question is too simple or it is too complex.
Have noticed that most of the threads are being answered very conveniently but not mine.
:( Is something wrong with the way i posted my query.

This is my first post so please let me know the mistakes and I will be more careful going forward.

Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Sorry man. Looks like the carriage is ahead of the horse this time. I don't know if you had already landed or still out of the country. Anyway for IT (or any skilled job for that matter), you can apply for PR after working in Canada 2 years under CEC; or PNP after several months to a year (employer driven stream, depending upon the province). Info on cic.gc.ca website.

ap_tier1 said:
Guys, It seems that either my question is too simple or it is too complex.
Have noticed that most of the threads are being answered very conveniently but not mine.
:( Is something wrong with the way i posted my query.

This is my first post so please let me know the mistakes and I will be more careful going forward.

Thanks

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
job_seeker said:
Sorry man. Looks like the carriage is ahead of the horse this time. I don't know if you had already landed or still out of the country. Anyway for IT (or any skilled job for that matter), you can apply for PR after working in Canada 2 years under CEC; or PNP after several months to a year (employer driven stream, depending upon the province). Info on cic.gc.ca website.
Thanks for your response, much appreciated (Honestly).
I will be landing in Canada this month.

Since my WP is valid for one year only & I wish to apply PR directly rather than getting the same WP extended, while my employer will get my WP extended for sure by raising LMO etc. I can tell you that employer should be OK to sponsor me for PR (otherwise i can pay for my pocket) as well.

The reason why I wish to get into PR is that in case of citizenship / passport, i guess the WP time will not be counted so initial 24 months after which i can apply for PR will be not utilized. I might be wrong, excuse me for that).

I wish to know:
1. Will the time i spend on WP will be counted for passport / citizenship.
2. Is there a way i can apply for PR once i am in Canada without waiting for 2 years.

Thanks in advance :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Explore PNP when you get here. That's your only chance for PR with a year or less of in-Canada experience, unless there are new rules that would be in place when you get here.

ap_tier1 said:
Thanks for your response, much appreciated (Honestly).
I will be landing in Canada this month.

Since my WP is valid for one year only & I wish to apply PR directly rather than getting the same WP extended, while my employer will get my WP extended for sure by raising LMO etc. I can tell you that employer should be OK to sponsor me for PR (otherwise i can pay for my pocket) as well.

The reason why I wish to get into PR is that in case of citizenship / passport, i guess the WP time will not be counted so initial 24 months after which i can apply for PR will be not utilized. I might be wrong, excuse me for that).

I wish to know:
1. Will the time i spend on WP will be counted for passport / citizenship.
2. Is there a way i can apply for PR once i am in Canada without waiting for 2 years.

Thanks in advance :)

kapil27

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2011
Doc's Request.
positive final determination of eligibility for processing on the basis of Arranged Employment in Canada.
AOR Received.
06-06-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted with File
File Transfer...
07-18-2011
Med's Request
11-22-2011
Med's Done....
12-20-2011 (December 20th 2011)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-22-2011 Passport Submission: December 20th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-28-2012
LANDED..........
I am in Winnipeg Canada
Hi,

This is a very good question, regarding your PR.

Yes, I am a IT worker and in Canada. If you have full time permanent job than you can apply under the Arranged Employment category.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-employment.asp

You have to have 67 points. The condition for Arranged employment is:

If you are currently working in Canada:

* your current employer must have made an offer to give you a permanent job if you are accepted as a federal skilled worker, and
* your temporary work permit must be valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued.

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
Hi Kapil,

Thanks kapil & Job seeker for your responses.
Two quick Q's;
1. How difficult or easy it is to get the PR. How much time does it take, I guess i can make 67 points easily.
Where do i check if i can qualify with enough points.
2. Is the initial time on IT worker Visa is counted towards PR.

Further to above 2 questions, Is there a limitation when can i apply under arrange employment category. Is it like i have to complete lets say 6 months before i am eligible or i can apply as soon as i lands in Canada.

Thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
eligibility/assessment tests

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/index.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/Education.asp

ap_tier1 said:
Hi Kapil,

Thanks kapil & Job seeker for your responses.
Two quick Q's;
1. How difficult or easy it is to get the PR. How much time does it take, I guess i can make 67 points easily.
Where do i check if i can qualify with enough points.
2. Is the initial time on IT worker Visa is counted towards PR.

Further to above 2 questions, Is there a limitation when can i apply under arrange employment category. Is it like i have to complete lets say 6 months before i am eligible or i can apply as soon as i lands in Canada.

Thanks.

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
I have checked the second link to assess:

I am scoring the required point (I am getting 91 points).
Can I apply for PR immediately once i lands in Canada? or do I have to wait for some more time.
* Is the time on WP counted towards PR / citizenship.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Does not count toward the PR time. Am not sure about the Citizenship time. 91 points. My that is HIGH!!!!! All the best. We'll see you when you get here :)

ap_tier1 said:
I have checked the second link to assess:

I am scoring the required point (I am getting 91 points).
Can I apply for PR immediately once i lands in Canada? or do I have to wait for some more time.
* Is the time on WP counted towards PR / citizenship.

kapil27

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2011
Doc's Request.
positive final determination of eligibility for processing on the basis of Arranged Employment in Canada.
AOR Received.
06-06-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted with File
File Transfer...
07-18-2011
Med's Request
11-22-2011
Med's Done....
12-20-2011 (December 20th 2011)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-22-2011 Passport Submission: December 20th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-28-2012
LANDED..........
I am in Winnipeg Canada
Hi,

He was right, 91points are very high.

Yes, you can apply your PR application right away (please make sure only under Arranged employment stream).

Cheers

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
Thanks to both of you,

I guess we can close this thread provided someone give me an idea of how much time it takes for completion of PR processing from inside Canada :)

kapil27 said:
Hi,

He was right, 91points are very high.

Yes, you can apply your PR application right away (please make sure only under Arranged employment stream).

Cheers

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Hi,

My 2 cents. Just having 91 pts is not sufficient. Broadly speaking, the following are the rules:

1) At least 67 pts and 2 years of in-canadian experience assuming you do not have canadian education. In your case, you can apply for PR only after working 2 years in Canada. The other option is to try the PNP option (someone mentioned it to you already)
2) At least 67 pts, Canadian degree, 1 year in-Canadian work experience (usually on a PG work permit)
3) At least 67 pts, 1 year work experience (not required to be Canadian) and you fall under one of the major job categories listed in CIC (Cook, Carpernters etc...)

Since you said you are a IT worker, you can apply for PR as soon as you arrive provided:
1) you have 67
2) your designation is manager and upwards.
3) 1/2 years experience in the last 3/5 years in the same field

Thanks.

ap_tier1

Nov 5, 2010
Thanks Yogesh, If I am manager & scores atleast 67 points and have the required experience as mentioned in last point, can i apply for PR (not through PNP) if i don't have Canadian education and no 2 year experience in Canada.