+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR-Citizenship and EB2 Green Card Application

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
I'm Canadian and commute everyday to Detroit from Windsor on a H1-B. My wife has her Canadian PR and works in Windsor. My employer in Detroit will start the EB-2 green card application. I've heard from my company's law firm to expect 1.5-3 years to receive the green card. My wife has 1.5 years until she is eligible to apply for CDN citizenship and then roughly another 6-8 months to receive her citizenship. Both the EB2 and CDN citizenship process will roughly take the same amount of time from start to finish given the current situation. Should I include my wife as part of the EB2 application? I've heard that CIC with their new clauses in the immigration act are starting to look for intent to reside in Canada during the citizenship application. Is it possible the for the CIC to find out that my wife is also applying for US green card while applying for CDN citizenship and deny her citizenship? If that's the case I rather leave her off and have her receive CDN citizenship without any doubt or inquires from CIC. Once I receive the green card and she receives her CDN citizenship, I would sponsor her as a US permanent resident myself to receive her US PR.

Ultimately we both want to live in the US as Canadian citizens with a US green card. Just trying to figure out the best course of action.

I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
If your law firm group can manage a US PR within 3 years via EB2, I would say they are miracle workers. People who applied under EB2 around 2009 are still waiting. Your wife's name can be added only during I 485 stage, which should take a few years. The Canadian citizenship would probably come earlier. And I don't think they will look whether you have a US PR or applying for the same. Even if they do, I don't think that's ground for not granting citizenship. Wait for the experts in the forum to weigh in.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
francaispourquebec said:
If your law firm group can manage a US PR within 3 years via EB2, I would say they are miracle workers. People who applied under EB2 around 2009 are still waiting. Your wife's name can be added only during I 485 stage, which should take a few years. The Canadian citizenship would probably come earlier. And I don't think they will look whether you have a US PR or applying for the same. Even if they do, I don't think that's ground for not granting citizenship. Wait for the experts in the forum to weigh in.
EB2 delay is only for people born in India , China and Philippines ( I believe). Eb2 processing is very fast for other countries.

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
APPNOV2014NY said:
EB2 delay is only for people born in India , China and Philippines ( I believe). Eb2 processing is very fast for other countries.
Oh ya, true. I keep forgetting there are people from other nationalities in line as well. Coming back to the original question, I don't think there is any problem. At the most, the immigration desk at both countries may frown after looking at the US PR or the Canada passport of the other country, but that's about it.

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
APPNOV2014NY said:
That's what I heard from some of my Indian coworkers. They stated that EB2 is much faster for Canadians than Indians. Thanks for confirming.

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
francaispourquebec said:
Oh ya, true. I keep forgetting there are people from other nationalities in line as well. Coming back to the original question, I don't think there is any problem. At the most, the immigration desk at both countries may frown after looking at the US PR or the Canada passport of the other country, but that's about it.
Thanks for your insight. I'll go ahead and proceed as planned to include her as part of my EB2 application. As you stated it's very likely that my wife will receive her Cdn passport before we reach the I-485 stage so that should eliminate any doubts and perhaps bill C-6 will pass sooner rather than later which would help her case nonetheless.

nirmiti

Jul 15, 2017
That's what I heard from some of my Indian coworkers. They stated that EB2 is much faster for Canadians than Indians. Thanks for confirming.
Is EB2-NIW based on country of birth (India/China) though we became citizen of another country like Australia /Canada now???

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thnx for quick reply, further to that , What about family sponsor green cards?? based on birth country only??
Depends which family member is sponsoring you.

Reactions: nirmiti

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Own Brother sponsoring so F4 category , who is citizen of US now but not by birth.
As far as I'm aware, the wait times are based on country of birth. So getting a different citizenship won't speed up the process.

Reactions: nirmiti