+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR and US H1

sripra87

Nov 26, 2014
Hope someone could answer my queries:

--> My Fiancee is on his work permit in Canada and his PR application is in process. He is expecting his PR by July 2015.
--> I am on F1 visa(student) in the US and will be getting my OPT soon in March 2015.

My questions are:
1. Can my Fiancee apply for US H1B while his Canadian PR is in process? Will this effect his PR application in Canada if he gets his H1B from US.
2. Once he gets his PR, is it mandatory for him to stay in Canada only? if so for how many years.
3. Can I get added up in my fiancee's PR application when I am on OPT in the US, will this effect my OPT status in US?
4. if I move to Canada either on dependent or either on my Fiancee's PR(If i get mine), will I lose my OPT Status in the US?
5. Will I be eligible to apply for my H1 visa when I am in Canada? will i prioritized as I have my Masters from US?

would be of great help if someone can answer my questions.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should post your OPT and HB1 questions to a US immigration forum.

Your fiancee's PR process will not be affected by applying for an HB1.
To keep her PR status, your fiancee will have to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years.
You can get added to your fiancee's PR application once you are either married or have lived together for at least one full year.

sripra87

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply..i just posted on US forum.

If i get added as wife in my fiancee's PR now, will I get PR along with him?
What legal documents do we need to show them?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sripra87 said:
Hope someone could answer my queries:

--> My Fiancee is on his work permit in Canada and his PR application is in process. He is expecting his PR by July 2015.
--> I am on F1 visa(student) in the US and will be getting my OPT soon in March 2015.

My questions are:
1. Can my Fiancee apply for US H1B while his Canadian PR is in process? Will this effect his PR application in Canada if he gets his H1B from US.
2. Once he gets his PR, is it mandatory for him to stay in Canada only? if so for how many years.
3. Can I get added up in my fiancee's PR application when I am on OPT in the US, will this effect my OPT status in US?
4. if I move to Canada either on dependent or either on my Fiancee's PR(If i get mine), will I lose my OPT Status in the US?
5. Will I be eligible to apply for my H1 visa when I am in Canada? will i prioritized as I have my Masters from US?

would be of great help if someone can answer my questions.
Thank you.
1. He can apply for both, wont effect each other. One is permanent and the other is temporary.
2. 730 days in 5 years in Canada.
3. You can be added only if you are married or lived together the past year.
4. US OPT and PR are unrelated.
5. Yes.