+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR and h1b

smartfin

Mar 26, 2018
Hello, guys.
I wish everyone great day and easy process.

I would be very grateful if you could help me with some advices. Here is brief explanation of my situation:
My wife and I are software engineers, working remote for different clients from US/Europe, but currently working as independent contractors for single company. We just got PPR and we are going to get visa in nearest days and our visa for landing would be valid till start of 2019.

But on the same time I'm in process of interviewing for position in USA for another company(not same with one we are working currently) and they offer employment via h1b visa.

So, actually, I have bunch of questions:
  1. Is it possible to get canadian PR and h1b on the same time? I'm interested to return to Canada after end of h1b employment, but currently it is great possibility to get awesome experience.
  2. If it is possible - how should I do that? First get PR via landing process and then start h1b process? Or can I firstly get h1b, and then go for landing (at some weekend for example - in that case counting of days of presence/absence in Canada would start later)
  3. How should I deal with taxes?
  4. Is there any other issues that I should keep in mind? Some legal documents/restrictions/etc?

I understand that it is not very common situation, but I would appreciate any advices or links to official documents/blogs where I can read as much as possible.

Reactions: wonka

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
>Is it possible to get canadian PR and h1b on the same time? I'm interested to return to Canada after end of h1b employment, but currently it is great possibility to get awesome experience
Yes. But you need to maintain Residency obligations (730 days over 5 years) or you risk losing PR

>If it is possible - how should I do that? First get PR via landing process and then start h1b process? Or can I firstly get h1b, and then go for landing (at some weekend for example - in that case counting of days of presence/absence in Canada would start later)
I am confident none of the order matters

> How should I deal with taxes?
You will pay taxes in USA. You do not pay taxes in Canada unless you meet specific criteria. If I recall, Canada (unlike USA) does not automatically require filling tax return for all PRs

>Is there any other issues that I should keep in mind? Some legal documents/restrictions/etc?
None that I am aware of... except residency requirements in Canada

Reactions: smartfin

smartfin

Mar 26, 2018
>Is it possible to get canadian PR and h1b on the same time? I'm interested to return to Canada after end of h1b employment, but currently it is great possibility to get awesome experience
Yes. But you need to maintain Residency obligations (730 days over 5 years) or you risk losing PR

>If it is possible - how should I do that? First get PR via landing process and then start h1b process? Or can I firstly get h1b, and then go for landing (at some weekend for example - in that case counting of days of presence/absence in Canada would start later)
I am confident none of the order matters

> How should I deal with taxes?
You will pay taxes in USA. You do not pay taxes in Canada unless you meet specific criteria. If I recall, Canada (unlike USA) does not automatically require filling tax return for all PRs

>Is there any other issues that I should keep in mind? Some legal documents/restrictions/etc?
None that I am aware of... except residency requirements in Canada

Thanks a lot. Yes, I remember about obligatory numbers of days that I should spend in Canada, I'm going to achieve that after few years of working in US.

I'm kind of new to filling taxes, that's why a lot of questions, which I can not understand at the moment

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
Hi, Were you able to find more information on this. Did you go for PR first and then H-1B. Are there anything specific to keep in mind. Thanks