+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport Question

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I applied yesterday for passport for all 3 members of my family and after making the payment they gave me a receipt with file number on it, I did not look at it at that time, but today I saw that my child last name was printed wrong on the receipt. Instead of last name they printed my wife`s second name on my child`s receipt. My child`s actual name as per citizenship certificate is Isabella McGuire. They printed Isabella Marie instead, "Marie" is my wife`s second name "Lisa Marie".

Should I get it corrected or they will automatically print the name as per the name on citizenship certificate.

I would appreciate your views. thanks

Last edited:

NeonYellow

May 9, 2018
Hi, I applied yesterday for passport for all 3 members of my family and after making the payment they gave me a receipt with file number on it, I did not look at it at that time, but today I saw that my child last name was printed wrong on the receipt. Instead of last name they printed my wife`s second name on my child`s receipt. My child`s actual name as per citizenship certificate is Isabella McGuire. They printed Isabella Marie instead, "Marie" is my wife`s second name "Lisa Marie".

Should I get it corrected or they will automatically print the name as per the name on citizenship certificate.

I would appreciate your views. thanks
You can check the status of your application online..and once you know they have opened your file, give them a call and point out the mistake. They will most likely go with the information on the citizenship certificate, as it's more of an official government document compared to a receipt. And plus, they would require a legal change of name document to have her name as Isabella Marie on her passport rather than Isabella McGuire. I wouldn't worry too much... but give them a call in a couple of days so you can have peace of mind.

Their number: Toll free: 1-800-567-6868

Hope it gets straightened out quick for you.

Reactions: JPBless

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Talked to the call center agent, she says this is the rep's error and I should get in touch with the passport office ASAP. I am freaking out now.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
If the forms are filled out correctly it shouldn't be any problem.
Did you fill the forms manually (by pen) or did you fill them online/download/barcoded ?

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
If the forms are filled out correctly it shouldn't be any problem.
Did you fill the forms manually (by pen) or did you fill them online/download/barcoded ?
I filled it on computer, downloaded the PDF file and filled it. The rep scanned the QR code on the form, she varified citizenship certificate, scanned the certificate, also scanned the birth certificate.

I have even took the last minute picture of the forms that I submitted, and everything is good.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
In that case I would think that it should be ok.
But if possible you can always visit the passport office ASAP and see that no error is made the first time.

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
In that case I would think that it should be ok.
But if possible you can always visit the passport office ASAP and see that no error is made the first time.
thanks a lot.

Do they inform the applicants by email regarding the date they mailed the passports and canada post tracking number?

Prime A

Oct 18, 2017
You can check the status of your application online..and once you know they have opened your file, give them a call and point out the mistake. They will most likely go with the information on the citizenship certificate, as it's more of an official government document compared to a receipt. And plus, they would require a legal change of name document to have her name as Isabella Marie on her passport rather than Isabella McGuire. I wouldn't worry too much... but give them a call in a couple of days so you can have peace of mind.

Their number: Toll free: 1-800-567-6868

Hope it gets straightened out quick for you.
How do you check passport application status online?

NeonYellow

May 9, 2018

ronmcguire3425

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
As stated above, you fill out a form and they reply to you. There's no option of asking a question in that format. If you have a question, you should call them and ask away and the number was mentioned in my earlier post. Here's the link for the status check: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/rs-vd/stat-eng.aspx?_ga=2.42704357.1354312954.1528039045-397500746.1528039045
Does passport office gives any tracking number of courier company. Or do they send any email to tell that the passport has been dispatched and the tracking number?

NeonYellow

May 9, 2018
Does passport office gives any tracking number of courier company. Or do they send any email to tell that the passport has been dispatched and the tracking number?
To my knowledge, they don't notify you when it's ready and en route for delivery if you're expecting a mail service (it'll show up whenever it gets there)... If no one is home to accept it, they'll leave a notice for you to pick it up in person at the post office. If makes sense to be notified for pick up, if the applicant chose that option.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I think it’s kind of a web from that you have to fill with all the details and then they reply in 3 business days . It’s not like ECAS.
It is a generic web form to receive just the passport application status, and you can't ask any question. If he requests status at this stage, he will get a reply that applications were received, and that processing time is up to xxx days.

The best way to check details is to call 1-800-567-6868.