+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

piti

May 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Congrats!
Did you get Certificate and Passport in your mail box (Canada post)?
only got passport for now. it was hand delivered since I needed to sign for it. Im going on travel soon so was mostly just worried about the passport. In fact I completely forgot about the certificate!

Reactions: Kornet

rememberme

Star Member
Nov 18, 2021
No. This section is if you have a Canadian travel document. A PR card is not a travel document
Thanks. Few other questions -

1. is it okay (I mean legally) to sign the form before oath ceremony or before receiving the citizenship certificate?
2. My guarantor has moved to another province. So, I am sending the printed version of the form to my guarantor physically. Is it okay for my guarantor to sign the form without the citizenship certificate #? I know the effective date of citizenship but I don't know the certificate number yet since I am yet to receive the certificate.

tarekh

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011

1. is it okay (I mean legally) to sign the form before oath ceremony or before receiving the citizenship certificate?
2. My guarantor has moved to another province. So, I am sending the printed version of the form to my guarantor physically. Is it okay for my guarantor to sign the form without the citizenship certificate #? I know the effective date of citizenship but I don't know the certificate number yet since I am yet to receive the certificate.
It seems that there would be no problem with this once the date of the guarantor's signature is after the oath date. Later on, you can fill up the certificate number by hand.

rushabh.patel208

Dec 8, 2021
only got passport for now. it was hand delivered since I needed to sign for it. Im going on travel soon so was mostly just worried about the passport. In fact I completely forgot about the certificate!
Did you got your Citizenship certificate yet? I am in the same boat. I got my passport but still waiting for my citizenship certificate.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB

I don't agree with @tarekh
Do NOT do this. The only way for you to do it is if you guarantor signs your application with a later date, but you don't even know when you'll receive your certificate and you can't apply until you have it. You won't know the date your certificate was issued until you receive it. The date on your passport application can't be before the date of issue of your citizenship certificate.
Use common sense, guys. just wait!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

Honestly, I don't know.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Do NOT do this. The only way for you to do it is if you guarantor signs your application with a later date, but you don't even know when you'll receive your certificate and you can't apply until you have it. You won't know the date your certificate was issued until you receive it. The date on your passport application can't be before the date of issue of your citizenship certificate.
In the passport application they ask for the issuance date or effective date. Effective date is the date of the oath ceremony. The only thing would be missing is the certificate number.

Reactions: rememberme

rememberme

Star Member
Nov 18, 2021
in the citizenship certificate section, the application asks for "Date of Issue or Effective Date of Citizenship". the "Effective Date of Citizenship" is the oath date right? and also can the citizenship certificate issue date be different from the effective date of citizenship?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Still no certificate? Did you call to ask if they sent it out? It's a long time since Jan 25th, and still haven't received your documents.

thewaitinggame90

Dec 12, 2017
App Sent: Feb 1st
App Delivered: Feb 2nd
CC charged: Feb 17th
Passport received: TBD

How is everyone getting the Canada post tracking information for the passports and certificates?
I called them on Friday and I was told my application was approved and should be mailed this week yet no Canada post information was attached to my file. I'm a bit confused as to when I can expect my passport and don't want to have to call again due to the wait times.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

How is everyone getting the Canada post tracking information for the passports and certificates?
I called them on Friday and I was told my application was approved and should be mailed this week yet no Canada post information was attached to my file. I'm a bit confused as to when I can expect my passport and don't want to have to call again due to the wait times.
You will have to call them again next week after they send out the documents to you. Before that there will be no tracking number associated with them. How long did you wait to talk to an agent? I wish there was a way to ask for the tracking number and other things via a webform to avoid all this waiting times on the phone just like the webform we use for the citizenship application

thewaitinggame90

Dec 12, 2017
You will have to call them again next week after they send out the documents to you. Before that there will be no tracking number associated with them. How long did you wait to talk to an agent? I wish there was a way to ask for the tracking number and other things via a webform to avoid all this waiting times on the phone just like the webform we use for the citizenship application
I called and there were nearly 400 ahead of me. I waited 1hr 20 mins as I work from home and can do so. You're so right though, I actually sent a tracking request through the site last month around the 25th and have gotten no response yet. I have only gotten information from calling them frequently. I travel on the 18th and they were going to transfer my file to my local office and they stopped it since the file was approved. It's so disorganized.

Reactions: CaBeaver

M.Wagih

May 24, 2015

I have the exact same timeline as you, sent Feb 1, delivered Feb 2, CC Charged Feb 17, and called them last Friday and confirmed it is approved and under printing. Will try to call again in a couple of days. Please let me know if you got any updates and I'll do the same.