Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

nasadadadsa

Mar 3, 2022
oh thanks so much..

so i will send them

filled application form
my citizenship certificate - in original
a copy of health card - signed by me and my guarantor

are these enough ? or am i missing anything ?
You're missing a few details, just to be sure:
- The two identical photos (signed by Gurantor and your name on the back of ONE picture, not the other photo they will use for your passport)
- Make sure to sign BACK and FRONT of ID with the date from your gurantor (make sure ID also meets criteria)
- Include payment info of course, unless you're going in-person
- You only need four pages from the application: the three first pages and the one with your payment. Don't be like me and print all seven pages and waste ink/paper

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and additional details if need be.

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
You're missing a few details, just to be sure:
- The two identical photos (signed by Gurantor and your name on the back of ONE picture, not the other photo they will use for your passport)
- Make sure to sign BACK and FRONT of ID with the date from your gurantor (make sure ID also meets criteria)
- Include payment info of course, unless you're going in-person
- You only need four pages from the application: the three first pages and the one with your payment. Don't be like me and print all seven pages and waste ink/paper

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and additional details if need be.
thanks so much for the detailed info.

i read about the ID, so i am hoping ontario health card should be fine for ID ? what if i print both the front and back in 1 page ?

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
thanks so much for the detailed info.

i read about the ID, so i am hoping ontario health card should be fine for ID ? what if i print both the front and back in 1 page ?
For the ID, it has to contain certain information: name, date of birth, photo and signature. You could print both sides on 1 page. The guarantor has to sign on the copy of ID if you apply via mail-in

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
If you sent any not required documents, they will most likely return them to you. Are these documents important?
Yeah, they are my original birth certificate and employment verification letter from my employer back home. Both are not needed right now but yeah the birth certificate is original but it looks more like a photocopy which it’s not and hard to get it again. It could be still with me but I wanna confirm it’s not there in the envelope :( .

Reactions: CaBeaver

piti

May 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hi everyone,

I received our passports yesterday! Just updating my timeline here:
  • Jan 26 mailed application for my and my spouses first Canadian passport
  • Jan 31 shows delivered to Ottawa (I sent to Gatineau, but apparently this is common from what I've seen in this thread)
  • Feb 15 CC charged (twice, one for me and one for spouse)
  • Mar 3: Received passports

Good luck everyone!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

• Jan 31 shows delivered to Ottawa (I sent to Gatineau, but apparently this is common from what I've seen in this thread)

Good luck everyone!
Congrats. It seems 5 calendar weeks is the norm for in-mail applications. Did they call the guarantor/references?

Naush4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

Good luck everyone!
Congrats!
Did you get Certificate and Passport in your mail box (Canada post)?

Naush4

Star Member
Nov 16, 2020
hi all,

i am in the process of applying for canadian passport.. i was a little confused when i saw this..

Include the following documents with your application form:

They need original of the certificate ? i just want to confim before i send them the certificate.. please let me know ?
You need to send Citizenship Certificate (original) along with your PP application package if applying by mail. They will return the Certificate back in your mail.

Reactions: munderdifflin

munderdifflin

Mar 1, 2022
Canada Post tracking # for citizenship certificate activated today. Expected delivery time: 1-3 business days. Currently shows having processed in Mississauga a few minutes ago having left North York earlier today. (On its way to Winterpeg, Manisnowba)

- Application Sent: February 4, 2022
- Application Delivered: February 7, 2022

- Passport Printed: ?
- Passport Tracking Details received: ?
- Passport Received: ?
- Citizenship Certificate tracking details received: March 3, 2022 (after calling them of course)
- Citizenship Certificate Received: March 8, 2022 (estimated, will update the actual date upon receipt)

Cheers :cool: The above template refers to passport printed date as well. Silly question but how do you guys know that? It would be the effective date of the passport I guess?

Mar 1, 2022
Wow, what a situation. You would expect to have your passport before March 14th when you applied Feb 4th, but not in Canada and with passport Canada. Did you put the travel date on your application? I put unknown, but I think I should have put April to let them know I am not extremely flexible to delay my application only because it's not urgent
Hi CaBeaver, yes I did put my travel date. And I did send webform and called them. But no movement up until today :( . Not sure if I will make it. I got very little vacation days after working for 8 months straight and I was really hoping to enjoy it but because I am new to this town and I was not aware that there is no local office for me to drop off/pick up passport, things have been really hard for me. The nearest is Edmonton, which is 8 hours from where I live. I also came into realization that passport has expired pretty late for me to get the ball rolling earlier. I am getting really upset about this. Partly my fault for not realizing my passport has expired but mostly it's the fact that there is no local office anywhere near this small town and the fact that application through mail is taking really long despite asking for their help every way possible. Sad. :(

action.me

May 7, 2021
Hopefully when I applied it will be quick as well I really need to get back home to see my family
Call the 1800 number and choose emergency passport option. They work 7 days a week and you can get a passport same or next day.
Be prepared to provide a good reason and to pay more than regular processing.

Also, you don't need a passport to enter Canada if you return through a land border. Fly from US and back. Again might be expensive but works.

Reactions: Angeles87mike77

hungtington

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Congrats. How long in total?
Approximately 6 weeks from the time I sent the mail. I mailed out the application and didn't pay attention to when it arrived...
I think my experience shows that: applying from the US costs more, but the pp will be sent via FedEx instead of Canada Post, so it is somehow more reliable than applying in Canada :(

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Approximately 6 weeks from the time I sent the mail. I mailed out the application and didn't pay attention to when it arrived...
I think my experience shows that: applying from the US costs more, but the pp will be sent via FedEx instead of Canada Post, so it is somehow more reliable than applying in Canada :(
Not that long. In Canada it takes around the same time.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
By the way, did they call the guarantor/references?