+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing. I think that the whole application process is ridiculously long und unjustified. How in the world it can take more than 40 days just to verify docs and print a passport? Gross inefficiency and blunt incompetency from passport office. Some walkins got they passport in couple of days. No system, no fairness, no nothing.
yep yep i was not thinking the passport Canada have such slow bad service, i was in urgent processing my application took more than 25 days and no passport from them called transferred the file to a local office went and paid fees the lady said come tomorrow well what??? you can print it now it takes 2 min, i returned again the next day for her and she said they did not printed the passport yet let me check in the back she went inside and printed my passport and returned within like 5 min like for god sake why you did not do this yesterday it took you 5 min to do it, and instead you told me to waist my time and come again next day, finally i am away from them for the next 10 years. i forgot to tell they kept my certificate with them for 2 weeks i panicked they may lose it or misplace it or the agent who worked on my file messed up the whole thing i called them many times and filed complaint finally after lot of wait time and stress they return it to me and i am 300% sure if i did not ask about it i will wait for 3 months without certificate and they will lose it.

Reactions: Tihompra01

Tihompra01

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 April 2015
AOR Received.
15 May 2015
File Transfer...
12 June 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
22-08-2016
Passport Req..
22-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-10-2016
Last edited:

Tihompra01

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 April 2015
AOR Received.
15 May 2015
File Transfer...
12 June 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
22-08-2016
Passport Req..
22-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-10-2016
Hi guys, finally my waiting journey is over. Today I received my passport and citizenship certificate both together in the same envelope.

My timeline is

Application sent Jan 10, 2022 from Mississauga to Gatineau

Application received Jan 12, 2022

E status requested Jan 26, application received in process

E status requested Feb 11 , application still in process

status requested by call Feb 16 , application approved, in printing

E status requested Feb 21, application approved will be mailed shortly

Passport and citizenship certificate received- Feb 23, 2022

Exact 43 days

Good luck to all.

Don’t panic if you forgot to write ✍ your name on the back side of photo where guarantor signed as I also forgot the same. No Enquiry made to my guarantor or references.

Always make sure that guarantor sign each page of the photocopy.

All the best once again. Just Be patient

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi guys, finally my waiting journey is over. Today I received my passport and citizenship certificate both together in the same envelope.

My timeline is

Application sent Jan 10, 2022

Application received Jan 12, 2022

E status requested Jan 26, application received in process

E status requested Feb 11 , application still in process

status requested by call Feb 16 , application approved, in printing

E status requested Jan 21, application approved will be mailed shortly

Passport and citizenship certificate received- Feb 23, 2022

Exact 43 days
It's VERY long. They say 25 business days, which is roughly 30 calendar days. Also noticed that they started to send the passport and certificate together. Maybe they changed their strategy since they send them using Xpresspost. I guess this is better than waiting for the certificate for another 2 weeks.

Tihompra01

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 April 2015
AOR Received.
15 May 2015
File Transfer...
12 June 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
22-08-2016
Passport Req..
22-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2016
LANDED..........
02-10-2016
It's VERY long. They say 25 business days, which is roughly 30 calendar days. Also noticed that they started to send the passport and certificate together. Maybe they changed their strategy since they send them using Xpresspost. I guess this is better than waiting for the certificate for another 2 weeks.
Yes certainly not 25 business days, frankly I was mentally prepared for a month in the beginning but then I realized that it’s taking extra 10-15 days. Not sure why? May be protests or shortage of staff or backlog.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yes certainly not 25 business days, frankly I was mentally prepared for a month in the beginning but then I realized that it’s taking extra 10-15 days. Not sure why? May be protests or shortage of staff or backlog.
I thought when I was done with the oath I won't have to wait. I was wrong. The wait is in all stages even after the oath :confused:

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought when I was done with the oath I won't have to wait. I was wrong. The wait is in all stages even after the oath :confused:
This is a ridiculous system of sucking our hard earned money without providing any slight resemblance of service.

Reactions: CaBeaver

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Bureaucracy at its finest. You wait weeks for one branch of the government to mail you your citizenship certificate, only to mail it back to another branch of the government and wait another few weeks. I get that having these redundancies helps in verification and security, but at some point it's at the cost of inefficiency and inconvenience. They already have our citizenship status in their systems, it should suffice as proof of citizenship to generate a passport. Also, an option to receive the first passport automatically when granted citizenship should exist if you choose the option, they could request the passport application form be submitted when invited for oath. I'm pretty sure a lot of the process can be optimized without compromising security and integrity of the status of Canadian Citizenship. The private sector is able to do so.

A

abdisarockstar

Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure it's not only passport services are so lousy, the whole government bureaucracy is an inefficient, hypocritical, racist, inept system. Period. They are so lazy and with a sense of entitlement and superiority like they know how hard is it to come here and work your way up. They are acting like they do us (immigrants) favor. F...ks. I can't wait to get my passport and just like you said try not to deal with them for another 10 years.
lol who hurt you brah? Lots of immigrants too work for the government.

rushabh.patel208

Dec 8, 2021
The only way the guarantor to know your exact height is by you telling them. Passport Canada should know this. I think as long as the height your guarantor gave is close, that should be OK. As for the eyes colors, again if they gave close description that's OK. This requirement is silly to be honest to expect someone else to know you that well. Even couples living together sometimes don't know this much details about each others.
Very true said. I don't know why the heck they ask for these silly details.

xieyixy1231

Jun 9, 2016
yep yep i was not thinking the passport Canada have such slow bad service, i was in urgent processing my application took more than 25 days and no passport from them called transferred the file to a local office went and paid fees the lady said come tomorrow well what??? you can print it now it takes 2 min, i returned again the next day for her and she said they did not printed the passport yet let me check in the back she went inside and printed my passport and returned within like 5 min like for god sake why you did not do this yesterday it took you 5 min to do it, and instead you told me to waist my time and come again next day, finally i am away from them for the next 10 years. i forgot to tell they kept my certificate with them for 2 weeks i panicked they may lose it or misplace it or the agent who worked on my file messed up the whole thing i called them many times and filed complaint finally after lot of wait time and stress they return it to me and i am 300% sure if i did not ask about it i will wait for 3 months without certificate and they will lose it.
yup, why not just charge a bit more from the citizenship application, and just send us citizenship certificate and the passport together once we take the oath. No point of applying multiple times for different stuff basically meaning the same thing.

UnBip

Jan 28, 2021
yup, why not just charge a bit more from the citizenship application, and just send us citizenship certificate and the passport together once we take the oath. No point of applying multiple times for different stuff basically meaning the same thing.
IRCC already struggles enough with not much. I don't think adding the passport creation in the queue would be wise.
I think most of us is tired and exhausted after the years waiting for the entire citizenship process to finish but the passport process doesn't seem that bad.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
I'll be mailing my application soon. quick question: Do I need to send IRCC a return envelope with a tracking number for them to send me my passport and my documents back?