+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

callaway73

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Toronto
I just called 1-800-567-6868 and the agent said that if you have already mailed your passport application under regular processing, and something has come up and now need the passport more urgently, you can request to have your file transferred to more urgent processing.

bluecanuck

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Finally received passports
Application sent by Xpresspost on July 19,2021
Application received on July 21, 2021 [confirmed after calling the PP Office, CanadaPost Tracking wasn't updated]
CC Charged on Aug 05, 2021
Passport issue date Aug 13, 2021
Passport Dispatched on Aug 16,2021
Received Originals and Passport - single package on Aug 18, 2021 by Xpresspost ( Delivered to mailbox, No signature required)

So that is a 30 day turnaround time.

Similar timeline- but ahead by 2 days! They got mine JULY 19- no CC charge, no email, no call, no NOTHING.

Extremely frustrated at how SLOW they are. I applied for citizenship Nov. 2019 and got my cert July 2021. IRCC is SO INNEFICIENT.

Bambam123

May 16, 2021
Got my passport in the mail today at last (issued Gatineau)! Certificate was with it. Journey finally complete.

App Delivered: June 28th.
CC Charge: July 12th.

Filed a complaint almost 2 weeks ago. Don’t think that did much. Passport Office called me today though and apologized for the delay. He said they’re swamped with applications and covid isn’t helping matters. Limited staff.

Also, don’t be too focused on cc charge. It’s not an indicator of progress. Mine was 2 weeks after delivery, passport 5 weeks later. Some agents charge at the beginning, some charge at the end. If you’re over a month in with no charge, you might probably get your passport within a week or two of cc charge.

The processing time is up to 8 weeks. If you need your passport sooner and haven’t applied. Go with walk in. If you’ve already mailed it in, you can contact them and request a file transfer. The receiving office will contact you (they may require additional fees and proof of travel).

Stay safe everyone.

taherkhan

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Got it!!! :)

Timeline:

Reached via mail to Ottawa - 4th of Aug
CC charged - 10th of Aug
Received both the certificate and passport in mail on - 17th of Aug
No calls to the guarantor/referees

Reactions: Hapique

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
I was about to write a second complaint to get my certificate back… I called the Mississauga office and literally made them send it to me ASAP… saw the tracking # update on the same day… they really pissed me of and made the whole experience miserable