+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
Guys I highly recommend calling the office...they told me right away when my passport will be mailed out. She said if everything goes well it will be mailed out on August 3rd. She said it's currently at the examination stage. My CC has't been charged yet, if it's not charged next week, I will call again. They are very nice and polite

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
However if you are in BC the passport offices are op
Guys I highly recommend calling the office...they told me right away when my passport will be mailed out. She said if everything goes well it will be mailed out on August 3rd. She said it's currently at the examination stage. My CC has't been charged yet, if it's not charged next week, I will call again. They are very nice and polite
tried calling today it don’t even connect I get a number busy tone.
1 (800) 567-6868

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Is passport centrally processed in Ottawa or distributed to the local office to process (like citizenship)?

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Got back my citizenship certificate via Xpresspost crammed in my mailbox today (so much for "signature required"), plus a checklist of returned documents indicating my passport will be/has been delivered via courier. Hope to get that in the next few days then.
Sigh! I hope the Citizenship certificate isn't damaged.

Reactions: bellaluna

bpjeee

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Aug 2009
Med's Done....
Nov 2010
Passport Req..
April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
Today Business Day 24 and counting
Application received Jun 15
CC Charged June 24
Waiting Patiently.....

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Is passport centrally processed in Ottawa or distributed to the local office to process (like citizenship)?
Randomly is what I am observing. Gatineau sends them off to different (not necessarily local) offices to process.

Mine was processed in Ottawa (Ottawa Downtown, not Gatineau) and I'm in the GTA. Have seen other GTA people have theirs processed in London, Mississauga, Scarborough and even Halifax.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Randomly is what I am observing. Gatineau sends them off to different (not necessarily local) offices to process.

Mine was processed in Ottawa (Ottawa Downtown, not Gatineau) and I'm in the GTA. Have seen other GTA people have theirs processed in London, Mississauga, Scarborough and even Halifax.
Speaking of random, I'm also based in the GTA and my citizenship certificate and credit card receipt came from Kelowna, BC, (yes, I did ship it to Gatineau, QC) so I'm guessing that's where my passport will come from. o_O

In-person (walk-in) services are open for new passport applications but depends on the office. Damn.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html
It does say to apply in person if you need your passport in less than 25 business days, so I guess that is the new mail-in application standard. Well, I honestly don't mind the mail application option. If you're in no rush, it's convenient.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BadGamer6

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally got thru to them since it’s the 21st business day and work wants me to cross the border next month. Agent was nice but she said she has no info other than to say it’s in process and I asked if she can tell me if the certificate is coming back atleast she said no and the system isn’t showing any tracking numbers to give me. She said 20 days no longer apply since they have a backlog and expect it to take 30-45 days.

bpjeee

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Aug 2009
Med's Done....
Nov 2010
Passport Req..
April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
Finally got thru to them since it’s the 21st business day and work wants me to cross the border next month. Agent was nice but she said she has no info other than to say it’s in process and I asked if she can tell me if the certificate is coming back atleast she said no and the system isn’t showing any tracking numbers to give me. She said 20 days no longer apply since they have a backlog and expect it to take 30-45 days.
I too got through today as well. called at 0802 - 67 callers ahead and got through after 47 mins in the querue. Business Day 25
Very similar message. No target date no tracking numbers. Agent was polite but had no information. Said we have thousands of applications and to call back next week.
At least I dont have to go and check my mailbox several times a day for this week....

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Speaking of random, I'm also based in the GTA and my citizenship certificate and credit card receipt came from Kelowna, BC, (yes, I did ship it to Gatineau, QC) so I'm guessing that's where my passport will come from. o_O

It does say to apply in person if you need your passport in less than 25 business days, so I guess that is the new mail-in application standard. Well, I honestly don't mind the mail application option. If you're in no rush, it's convenient.
Looks like walk-in (without appointment) is opening up right now for both passport office and service Canada.

If you live near a passport office and it opens at 8 AM, you might have to go there by 7AM and you might be able to submit your passport application in person. I assume that you can also apply for the "Express Pickup" option if need be.

Without an appointment (walk-in)
You can go to any passport office (Service Canada Centre – Passport Services) or Service Canada Centre that offers passport services without an appointment (also called walk-in services).

Walk-in services are not guaranteed. They may not be available at busy locations.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

Reactions: bpjeee

bpjeee

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Aug 2009
Med's Done....
Nov 2010
Passport Req..
April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
And the agent asked me for my application number - not sure which one they referred to.
but then last name and DOB extra were used to verify identity.