+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

thepharmaguy

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
I am planning to mail passport applications for myself, my wife and my 8 year old son. I have following questions:
1. I am planning to provide my son's birth certificate as proof of parentage. Do I need to send the original birth certificate or can I send a copy of it. If copy is okay; Do I and/or Guarantor need to attest/sign it?
2. Can I send all 3 applications in one envelope?

Last edited:

mcchen

Dec 14, 2023
I am planning to mail passport applications for myself, my wife and my 8 year old son. I have following questions:
1. I am planning to provide my son's birth certificate as proof of parentage. Do I need to send the original birth certificate or can I send a copy of it. If copy is okay; Do I and/or Guarantor need to attest/sign it?
2. Can I send all 3 applications in one envelope?
1) You will need to send in the original birth certificate. Back then only the long form was accepted; however, I believe the short form is okay these days (you will need to double check to make sure).

2) I once sent in 3 applications all in 1 Canada Post carrier envelope. However, I did separate them with paper document envelopes within the carrier envelope. Depending on who receives your package, the person may or may not screw up.

My recent passport renewal has been going on for 2 months. And they are still processing it. I called to ask what was missing, the reply was that I have done my part, I just need to wait it out.
I would highly recommend you take those applications and go to a local office to get them processed. Do not mail your application at this time. You might not get them back on a timely manner if you mail them in.

Reactions: thepharmaguy

hixynewu

Nov 27, 2023
Hi everyone,

Happy holiday season! I have a question regarding my passport application status. I applied in person at a Service Canada - Passport Office on Dec 21st (normal process, no urgent or express) and the online status showed "We have received your application and are now processing it" on Dec 22nd. However, on Dec 23rd, the status showed "We can't give you the application status right now." till now. Is this normal or not?

mcchen

Dec 14, 2023
Hi everyone,

Happy holiday season! I have a question regarding my passport application status. I applied in person at a Service Canada - Passport Office on Dec 21st (normal process, no urgent or express) and the online status showed "We have received your application and are now processing it" on Dec 22nd. However, on Dec 23rd, the status showed "We can't give you the application status right now." till now. Is this normal or not?
Try checking it again. You might have entered the information incorrectly.

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
For walk-in applications (for express pick-up), do I need to have my guarantor sign copies of my ID and take that as well? I have the original IDs with me, and will be taking them to my walk-in appointment. Just wanted to confirm if I should get copies of my ID printed and signed by guarantor as well

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
For walk-in applications (for express pick-up), do I need to have my guarantor sign copies of my ID and take that as well? I have the original IDs with me, and will be taking them to my walk-in appointment. Just wanted to confirm if I should get copies of my ID printed and signed by guarantor as well
For walk-in applications, there is no need for the guarantor to sign ID copies when taking the original IDs.
All the best!

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
For walk-in applications, there is no need for the guarantor to sign ID copies when taking the original IDs.
All the best!
Thanks @Calgary222.

I submitted my passport application this morning, and they immediately called my guarantor. I had asked my guarantor to post-date the signature to today (12/27), coz today is the first business day after I got my e-certificate. He signed it on 22nd when I actually received it. When they called him, they asked him to tell when he signed, and he said he couldn't remember exactly if it was 21st or 22nd. Will they reject my application and ask to re-apply? I asked for urgent processing so I can pick it up tomorrow n take my flight on 12/29

Last edited:

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
Thanks @Calgary222.

I submitted my passport application this morning, and they immediately called my guarantor. I had asked my guarantor to post-date the signature to today (12/27), coz today is the first business day after I got my e-certificate. He signed it on 22nd when I actually received it. When they called him, they asked him to tell when he signed, and unfortunately he messed up and said he can't remember exactly if it was 21st or 22nd. Now, I am freaking out.. will they reject my application and ask to re-apply? I asked for urgent processing so I can pick it up tomorrow n take my flight on 12/29
No they won't reject or make you re-apply.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks @Calgary222.

I submitted my passport application this morning, and they immediately called my guarantor. I had asked my guarantor to post-date the signature to today (12/27), coz today is the first business day after I got my e-certificate. He signed it on 22nd when I actually received it. When they called him, they asked him to tell when he signed, and he said he couldn't remember exactly if it was 21st or 22nd. Will they reject my application and ask to re-apply? I asked for urgent processing so I can pick it up tomorrow n take my flight on 12/29
Did you apply express or urgent?
Wonder why they called guarantor immediately... people said here earlier they didn't call their guarantor or reference for normal application..

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Did you apply express or urgent?
Wonder why they called guarantor immediately... people said here earlier they didn't call their guarantor or reference for normal application..
I applied for express (the next business day pick-up), since I needed it to catch my flight. Maybe coz of that? I am not sure I could have used my India passport and applied for Canada passport after re-entering the US. But, I wanted to avoid those hassles..

thepharmaguy

Star Member
Oct 6, 2020
Try checking it again. You might have entered the information incorrectly.
I am experiencing the same...applied in person on Dec 21st for myself, my wife and my 8 year old...till earlier this week online status showed "We have received your application and are now processing it" for myself and my family but today it's showing as "We can't give you the application status right now."...I double checked and all the information is accurate...do I need to do anything from my end for this?

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
I am experiencing the same...applied in person on Dec 21st for myself, my wife and my 8 year old...till earlier this week online status showed "We have received your application and are now processing it" for myself and my family but today it's showing as "We can't give you the application status right now."...I double checked and all the information is accurate...do I need to do anything from my end for this?
Didn't they give you a pickup date?