+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Ver94

Aug 17, 2019
Hi, I send application by registered mail to Gatineu passport office from Ottawa. I was trying to get fileno. but it wasn't available for next 2 weeks. But CanadaPost was saying they had delivered the same to passport office after 3 days only.
so this 20 businessdays limit is from date when passport application mail is delivered to them or its since we see the Fileno. in their online passport tracker system.
I have given bankers cheque so I won't know when credit card etc is being processed.. So wondering how long i had to wait.

anybody knows timeline after mail application delivery date (but not showing in online system for next 1.5weeks).

thanks
After the delivery date, my file number was available after 10 business days. Toronto. I'm still waiting for the passport, hasn't been printed yet.

Application sent: Oct 6th
Application delivered: Oct 10th
File number available: Oct 24th
Additional info required: Oct 26th
Credit card charged: Oct 26th

shuttle11

Feb 15, 2019
Yes. I saw this status. This happened to me after they charged the credit card and before they shipped it. It was in this status for a few days and later on one fine day, the status changed to Your passport was printed and shipped to you in a courier.
How ddi you check your status? I don't have file number yet?

ifunkyk

Jan 16, 2018
Location - Toronto, ON
Sent mail Application (FedEx 2 Business days delivery) - 21st October 2023
Delivered to Gatineau, QC - 24th October 2023
Credit Card charged - 2nd November 2023.
Received my returned citizenship certificate thru canada post today. Hoping I would receive passport early next week.

Application status changed to "We can't give you the application status right now" on tracking. It was we are processing your application till today morning.

I have a confirmed appointment on 17th Nov(thinking I would get my CN passport by then) at BLS Indian passport center for which I need new Canada Passport for verification. Otherwise I need to opt for their awful mail service.

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Received my returned citizenship certificate thru canada post today. Hoping I would receive passport early next week.

Application status changed to "We can't give you the application status right now" on tracking. It was we are processing your application till today morning.

I have a confirmed appointment on 17th Nov(thinking I would get my CN passport by then) at BLS Indian passport center for which I need new Canada Passport for verification. Otherwise I need to opt for their awful mail service.
Hi
my case is similar. Passport delivered 25thOct but till now status is "We have received your application and are now processing it. If we need more information, we'll contact you by telephone, mail, or email. We will never use text or instant messages to contact you about your passport application"
Not sure if its still under processing etc as I used certified cheque instead of credit card etc for payment.
Same case waiting for passport before going in walkin to BLS to surrender desi passport.

ifunkyk

Jan 16, 2018
Location - Toronto, ON
Sent mail Application (FedEx 2 Business days delivery) - 21st October 2023
Delivered to Gatineau, QC - 24th October 2023
Credit Card charged - 2nd November 2023.
Citizenship Cert returned - 9th November 2023.
Update:
Passport received - 20th November 2023.

Received my Passport today!! It's the old version printed at Gatineau.

Tracker said "Your passport has been printed and mailed" today morning. Canada post tracking number provided.

Last edited:

asingh7201

Sep 7, 2016
the passport office called my gurantor yesterday and looks like he messed it up as my status shows :
We've reviewed your application and can't process it further.

what should be the next step .
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

asingh7201

Sep 7, 2016
I received the same message , did you get your passport back ?
When i check the status of my passport online it shows as below

We've reviewed your application and can't process it further
We're sending you a letter explaining why and will return your supporting documents at the same time.

Has any one got this message before ?

I had called the passport office to expedite my passport for express pick up. Is it because of this ?

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
the passport office called my gurantor yesterday and looks like he messed it up as my status shows :
We've reviewed your application and can't process it further.

what should be the next step .
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
That's too bad. Can't you have your guarantor call them back, I mean don't they leave a message?

AnonyKaty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hello, I became a citizen on October 20th but I have had a busy busy month. I haven't been able to apply for my passport. I now want to apply but I am unsure if a walk-in will still be the best option because I see some folks here get a turn around of 3 weeks by mailing in.

What made you go with a mail in instead of walk in? What are some key considerations?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, I became a citizen on October 20th but I have had a busy busy month. I haven't been able to apply for my passport. I now want to apply but I am unsure if a walk-in will still be the best option because I see some folks here get a turn around of 3 weeks by mailing in.

What made you go with a mail in instead of walk in? What are some key considerations?
Walk-in is better as they check the forms for any issues and there won't be be any back and forth. Also processing starts quickly. Postal I have seen people not knowing what's happening to the application and credit card not getting debited and all. Walk-in you get a application number with which you can track your application online too.

• Love
Reactions: AnonyKaty

asingh7201

Sep 7, 2016
so this is epic ,

my status shows we reviewd your application and cant process it further, called office and guy said you and your wife application is rejected , today afternoon , received passports for both.

Timeline:
29 Oct - application sent
1Nov - application received
8 Nov- CC charged
18 Nov - citizenship certificate returned
20 Nov - status changed to " we have reviewd your application and cant process it further
21 Nov- called passport office , was informed to apply again as application rejected and returned
22 Nov - received both passports.

good luck to everyone , you ll get yours very soon

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
so this is epic ,

my status shows we reviewd your application and cant process it further, called office and guy said you and your wife application is rejected , today afternoon , received passports for both.

Timeline:
29 Oct - application sent
1Nov - application received
8 Nov- CC charged
18 Nov - citizenship certificate returned
20 Nov - status changed to " we have reviewd your application and cant process it further
21 Nov- called passport office , was informed to apply again as application rejected and returned
22 Nov - received both passports.

good luck to everyone , you ll get yours very soon
Good. So it got approved in the end.