+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
My mailout date was supposed to be today. With the way things are looking, I guess I shouldn't expect anything till November :rolleyes:.

Swift Turtle

Dec 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I submitted a mail-in passport application on August 10, 2022 and I noticed that the application processing fee was applied to my credit card on August 30, 2022.

Does the fact that they've already charged my credit card suggest that Service Canada has already started processing my application? Can anyone please tell me how much longer the process may take at this stage?

Thank you very much in advance .

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

I submitted a mail-in passport application on August 10, 2022 and I noticed that the application processing fee was applied to my credit card on August 30, 2022.

Does the fact that they've already charged my credit card suggest that Service Canada has already started processing my application? Can anyone please tell me how much longer the process may take at this stage?

4 months.

renesa05

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do they reply to the online status request? Or do I have to call them to get the status?

Costa5053

Star Member
Jul 30, 2021
Hi any one applied from Mars and still waiting? I called today he told me they fenish the verification of all documents every thing looks good my question is how long I have to wait after this update? Any help thx

Reactions: tco23

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
Hello everyone,

My CC was charged in early July, and I am still waiting for my 1st passport.

Reactions: Swift Turtle

tco23

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong/Gatineau
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I would have said my passport can come before Sep but the recent replies, along with how no reference said they got a call, seem to suggest otherwise. The only update is I have the cert back, 2+ weeks after my first call about this exact cert, for my personal purpose. I can only take it with some folding of the plastic cover which.... not great but I have to take it.

I don't like to say but while my trip is still a few months from now I'll still need to book hotel rooms with my other passport. Still not great, tbh.
update: I made this 3rd call just now 2.5 weeks after the 2nd call on 15 Aug.
1. I asked if there's more clarification/issue to settle. Officer said no, no more.
2. I said I got back the cert. Officer said, "since we cleared your issues, so we mailed it on 22 Aug".
3. "Everything was clear on 15 Aug, so it would take 20 business days (i.e. until one week from now, early Sep) to process". I asked, "why not in August?" That's because when I was calling on 8 Aug, presumably I had no issues so I could have got the passport mailed by Aug.

tldr I'll very likely get my passport by mid Sep.

"Did you just say a few more weeks?" is my line of the day.

Also, noticeably I started calling from 830am like with my previous calls and I found the line of calls was shorter, at 15x calls ahead of me, instead of 25x calls ahead of me. The backlog is definitely getting reduced. My takeaway for other citizens is, yes, that's kinda good news to ya. It may still take your time to call, but it's not so bad now.

LOrangeVerte

Jun 28, 2022
toronto
UPDATE:

I called today because I had no news and my travel date is approaching (the 3rd of September). The agent verified my application and told me that it's still under review and that there is a transfer request for this file which is correct (i received the email confirming the request).

He then asked me if my guarantor was called to which I replied "no".

He said that my guarantor needed to call a specific number and answer questions from an agent (also my guarantor needed to have my file number ready).

At that point, I really thought it was a mistake but he repeated that I needed to do that in order to clarify that point. I was never asked that before but anyway, I sent a message to my guarantor asking her to phone that number and indicate my file number. She did it quickly and the agent on the phone asked her questions about me etc. She finally said that they have everything they needed. The agent told my guarantor that they will call me in two days. If I don't receive any call I need to call them again.

I hope I'm near the end of the process because it's getting boring. :eek::rolleyes:o_O
UPDATE:

I received a call from the passport office this morning around 10h30. The call was from the Toronto office and the agent told me to come to the office on Friday at 2pm with a photo ID to get it. So its the end of the process for me. Im glad I will get my document tomorrow and will be able to fly to the US to see my family.

I know its hard and stressful but it will come in the end. The transfer was done and my travel date was added but they just don't know how to communicate the evolution of our application which add to the stress. I hope that people waiting for their travel document will get it soon!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing information, tips and support!!

Reactions: Genesis76 and tco23

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Thanks for your reply.

If you don't mind me asking; how do you know the processing time is 4 months from the date of your credit card being charged?

Thanks.
It's not 4 months from the moment your credit card is charged--total waiting time right now is 17 weeks. If you applied August 10 you should get your passport by Nov 11. If you need it sooner you need to call them with proof of travel. If you don't get it by then you should call them.
Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get it as soon as you need it though :)

Abakshi1984

Feb 14, 2017
Called passport office on 6868 number and lucky to get in touch with an agent.
Informed that your transfer request is not yet processed by Surrey office. As it was more than 13 weeks so agent said now it’s 17 weeks or 4 months.

They don’t care about anyones priorities and only bother about the people who are traveling in few days by the looks of it.

I am totally frustrated by the response from call centre. No one cares about the notes on your case etc.

** App sent via mail to Mississauga**

Last edited:
  • Wow

Abakshi1984

Feb 14, 2017
It's not 4 months from the moment your credit card is charged--total waiting time right now is 17 weeks. If you applied August 10 you should get your passport by Nov 11. If you need it sooner you need to call them with proof of travel. If you don't get it by then you should call them.
Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get it as soon as you need it though :)
*** Just wanted to update the thread with the information I got from Passport Office or 6868 number:- 17 weeks of processing time starts from the day they start working on mailed in applications. In my case application was received in May and then, agent said we started working on your application on 4th August. As per agent, its 17 weeks from 4th Aug which is ridiculous.. sorry

rh123

Aug 24, 2022
UPDATE:

I received a call from the passport office this morning around 10h30. The call was from the Toronto office and the agent told me to come to the office on Friday at 2pm with a photo ID to get it. So its the end of the process for me. Im glad I will get my document tomorrow and will be able to fly to the US to see my family.

I know its hard and stressful but it will come in the end. The transfer was done and my travel date was added but they just don't know how to communicate the evolution of our application which add to the stress. I hope that people waiting for their travel document will get it soon!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing information, tips and support!!
Congratulations
I notice that for transfer request they give the passport only 1 day before your travel date which make me worry bcz i also have to apply for visa after that.

rh123

Aug 24, 2022
Called passport office on 6868 number and lucky to get in touch with an agent.
Informed that your transfer request is not yet processed by Surrey office. As it was more than 13 weeks so agent said now it’s 17 weeks or 4 months.

They don’t care about anyones priorities and only bother about the people who are traveling in few days by the looks of it.

I am totally frustrated by the response from call centre. No one cares about the notes on your case etc.

** App sent via mail to Mississauga**
Do you have any travel date??
i also applied for transfer at Surrey office asking pickup date 26aug bcz i need extra time to apply for visa but they never call me. when i call again today she said my transfer wasn't accepted bcz i ask it too early (my travel date is 24oct).Today she update my trasfer date to 16 sept. which is 5weeks before my travel date.
I really hope they accept it otherwise i have to postpone my trip :(