Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

abc012

Star Member
Jan 21, 2017
From Ontario:
Passport application delivered by mail on 19th April
CC charged on 12th May
Passport not received yet.
Anyone with similar timeline? What is the current wait time?
I'm very close. They got my application April 21, charged me May 13th, and nothing else.

• Wow
Reactions: humerarehman

rkurtur

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I have booked my ticket for June 20 and I asked passport customer service agent to transfer the file to Mississaga office and I got the passport yesterday but I didnt get my citizenship certificate as they said it may take 8 t 12 weeks. But, I must need it to apply for my india visit visa. Is there any way to get my citizenship copy from passport office? I just need a softcopy. Unfortunately I didnt make a copy before.

Any suggestions to get my citizenship copy ?

Reactions: yutaeren

rkurtur

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey. thanks for the input. How do we know our file number if we have sent the application by mail? first time passport. I am on the phone right now, waiting for my turn. thanks!
Okay few things to take care of when talking to an agent over the phone

Get your file number
Agent will say they have transferred your file to your local office but that's not true
An office over the counter can only help you if your documents are scanned
Important thing, for people who are renewing their passports , they should be filling out a new form and go with pictures even after an agent has told them that their file has been transferred, trust me it is not the case
I had to involve my local MP (Jagmeet Singh) who also happens to be NDP leader, only after his involvement they scanned my documents, otherwise the nightmare would have continued

For people who are applying for the first time, it's way complicated, an agent has to see your oath certificate in order to issue you a passport at local office
Two things (if your documents are not scanned, he will fill out a form and ask you to sign it and then he will send that form to concerned authorities to verify your oath certificate (you should have your oath certificate number)
If you're lucky enough and they reply in time, then you need fill out a new form with guarantor and references with pictures (you should be going with all of this beforehand)
The only bad thing about that is he/she can only issue you 2 years valid passport but they gonna charge 5 year fee
Man it has been a mess and so difficult to get a passport in case of emergency
I got mine yesterday, so this is hands on experience :)
Hi Friend,

Just wanted to know who will have our scanned copies. I got my passport but I need my citizenship copy as I need to apply for india visit visa where citizenship copy is must but I dont have one. I tried passport customer service and they say they cant see my scanned copy and I asked missisauga office where I picked my passport and they confirmed that they dont see scanned copy. I am stuck now and I have my travel on June 20 so scared now whether I get visa or not. Can MP help me on my case?

a987

Star Member
May 23, 2022
There is a situation, I am located in a very remote town where there are no photo studios therefore thinking when I will plan to visit to my home city then I will get my picture done and also apply for passport.

So my question will it be required to apply for passport now or I can apply later this year as well?
Depend when are you traveling to. How small is your town. Not even London drug?

Cesco86

Jun 10, 2022
From Ontario:
Passport application delivered by mail on 19th April
CC charged on 12th May
Passport not received yet.
Anyone with similar timeline? What is the current wait time?
Good evening, we are in the same boat. I have the exactly same dates like you. i guess it is a waiting game now.

Nesstea

Apr 8, 2022
Everyone seems to be getting their cc charged about a month after sending in. Mine was received May 4th and still nothing. Travel July 20th. Does anyone know the best time to try get an appointment online?
Mine was received April 11, and still no cc charge.

Reactions: scuba ken

a987

Star Member
May 23, 2022
I received my passport yesterday! Mine was a renewal application mailed from the U.S.

This was my timeline:

Application mailed out: March 27
CC charged: April 2
Passport mailed out: June 9
Passport delivered: June 10
They tell you when they mail out ?

ladyhaha

Sep 17, 2019
I was told that my photo was missing the guarantor's signature. The new photo was received by mail on June 1st and the file transfer request was made last Thursday as I am travelling on June 23.
  • Has any office transfer request been denied?
  • What are the chances for the photo to be opened and scanned by the central office? They noted my tracking number and said that if the local office accepted my file, they would push the central office to find that mail.
    • Some of you said that the local office would ask for a fax but that is only for proof of flight ticket, not photos
    • In case the central office cannot find the mail, do you think the local office will deem that I already have a photo and issue a passport anyway?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?

kulb

Feb 11, 2018
Experience - 08June2022
Mississauga Passport Office - In Person
377 Burnhamthorpe Rd E

- Got in line at 3am this morning. 19 People ahead of me.

- First person in line arrived at 10pm on 07June2022

- Couple of people paid someone to stand for them in the line (~45$/hour)

- By 6am the line up was till McDonalds. Do not bother to come past 6am (current conditions only) as they only distribute ~140 tokens each day.

- Tokens (Golden Ticket ) were distributed at 8am. This office only accepts people who have travel confirmation anywhere between 1 to 45 business days. People who have already submitted their application to Service Canada (by mail/in person) and have urgent travel needs (must be within 7 days) can also get their passport at this location with proof of travel.

- Got inside at 8:30am (First batch of ~25 people). Good segregation of people with urgent travel needs and people with travel after 3-5 business days.

- First counter is for Docs Check (Reached 1st Counter at 845am) Asked to wait at Second Counter area with Token Number. (called at the Second Counter at 9am). Checked docs again (was asked, "at what time did you arrive today?"), docs scanned by clerk, paid fees ($180 total). Option to pickup ($20) or mail by Canadapost (upto 14 business days mailing time). Option Chosen - Pickup. Was out of the office at 915am.

- Overall: Apart from standing up early in line, everything else was smooth.

- Passport will be ready for pickup on 22June2022

Tips: Plan well, brings chair(s), blankets, no washroom till 6am (McD opens at 6am). Staff is friendly if you are friendly.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Reactions: Canvisaprash