+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

t1908

Jun 6, 2022
Update on my transfer request (see my earlier post for more details).

My guarantor was able to confirm the missing information. Unclear still what the missing information was (possibly querying a signature?), but ostensibly resolved.

The agent at the main call centre told me to expect a call from my local office (Kitchener) at the end of next week (about 1 week before travel). I got a call from the local office within an hour, which I missed because I wasn't expecting it. Called them back, left a message, and was called back about an hour later.

They said they needed:

(a) My credit card number to charge me the $20 pickup fee. (They waived the transfer fee because the passport was past usual processing times.)
(b) Me to fax(!) my proof of travel. They insist on fax because they're not allowed to receive external emails. I don't have a fax machine but there are online apps for it (google is your friend). I might go to a print shop as well just to be sure.

They said that my passport will be ready to pick up next Friday (17th). One week prior to my travel date. Told me to come to the building after 10am, to go to the front of the line and say I was there to pick up. All remarkably smooth sailing but I'm not going to count my chickens until it's in my hand.

I'll say that while the system as a whole is obviously a complete and utter mess right now, when I have talked with people directly they have been extremely helpful, friendly, and efficient.
Wow, that's a quick turn around time. Hopefully I'll receive a call from my local office soon. I requested the transfer two days ago. Every time my phone rings I jump hoping that it's a private/blocked number and that it's the passport office. I'm glad they actually left you a voicemail or at the very least, you could see the number to phone back. At this point, just go to a print shop and fax it for peace of mind! Glad it worked out for you :D

Last edited:
Reactions: occamslaser

t1908

Jun 6, 2022
My story for reference:

Mine is a simple renewal, anticipated travel date June 15.
Application received in Quebec April 28.
Credit card charged May 18.

Reading this forum I realized it won't be back in time. So I bought a plane ticket for June 22 and went to a Toronto office at 8am. Was put into the "transfer line" by a security guard. Two hours waiting in line. Agent charged me $20 for a file transfer, and gave me a pickup slip for June 21. She said it's likely to succeed because my situation is simple. Fingers crossed!

Basically no urgent processing possible. Only chance is to show up with a plane ticket. They try to accommodate, but might not work out.
Glad it worked out. Which Toronto office? North York, Victoria street, somewhere else?

Canvisaprash

Jun 8, 2022
Experience - 08June2022
Mississauga Passport Office - In Person
377 Burnhamthorpe Rd E

- Got in line at 3am this morning. 19 People ahead of me.

- First person in line arrived at 10pm on 07June2022

- Couple of people paid someone to stand for them in the line (~45$/hour)

- By 6am the line up was till McDonalds. Do not bother to come past 6am (current conditions only) as they only distribute ~140 tokens each day.

- Tokens (Golden Ticket ) were distributed at 8am. This office only accepts people who have travel confirmation anywhere between 1 to 45 business days. People who have already submitted their application to Service Canada (by mail/in person) and have urgent travel needs (must be within 7 days) can also get their passport at this location with proof of travel.

- Got inside at 8:30am (First batch of ~25 people). Good segregation of people with urgent travel needs and people with travel after 3-5 business days.

- First counter is for Docs Check (Reached 1st Counter at 845am) Asked to wait at Second Counter area with Token Number. (called at the Second Counter at 9am). Checked docs again (was asked, "at what time did you arrive today?"), docs scanned by clerk, paid fees ($180 total). Option to pickup ($20) or mail by Canadapost (upto 14 business days mailing time). Option Chosen - Pickup. Was out of the office at 915am.

- Overall: Apart from standing up early in line, everything else was smooth.

- Passport will be ready for pickup on 22June2022

Tips: Plan well, brings chair(s), blankets, no washroom till 6am (McD opens at 6am). Staff is friendly if you are friendly.

Reactions: kulb

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
My timeline:
Docs Sent: May 6, 2022
Gatineau Received: May 10, 2022
Travel Date: June 18, 2022
Followed the advice on here to keep calling until I got through, any tips on things to say once I get through the 200 people? I'm just looking to see if my passport will be getting to me before the 18th or if I need to get the file transferred to Edmonton?

Does this sound about normal?

I appreciate the help!
If you have a flight ticket contact your MP,s office your file will move quicker via your MP and you will get information regarding your file even quicker instead of calling and waiting for hours. I contacted my MP office yesterday, wanted to know if my application is in progress and didn't want to spend hours waiting on the phone. After filling the consent form my MP's office contacted passport Canada and in less than an hour I had an update on my file.

Reactions: Deedle

KR14

Oct 22, 2021
If you have a flight ticket contact your MP,s office your file will move quicker via your MP and you will get information regarding your file even quicker instead of calling and waiting for hours. I contacted my MP office yesterday, wanted to know if my application is in progress and didn't want to spend hours waiting on the phone. After filling the consent form my MP's office contacted passport Canada and in less than an hour I had an update on my file.
What is your current status now?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
What is your current status now?
I sent mine as no urgent and my file was received in April 19 and credit card charged May 17, right now my file is under examination and according to my MP's office I should received my passport by the end of June if not I can contact them again, and if I have a flight ticket booked they can request for urgent processing on my behalf.

KR14

Oct 22, 2021
I sent mine as no urgent and my file was received in April 19 and credit card charged May 17, right now my file is under examination and according to my MP's office I should received my passport by the end of June if not I can contact them again, and if I have a flight ticket booked they can request for urgent processing on my behalf.
Did they mention if you booked ticket are you going to pay another fee for urgent processing?

WTHunter51

Jun 8, 2022
My timeline: Child Passport (expired, but had pp previously)
Docs Sent : March 17, 2022 (Xpresspost)
Gatineau Received: March 21, 2022
Travel Date: August 30, 2022
CC charged; April 14, 2022

Zero communication from passport office, and certainly past the 11 weeks processing timeline.

a987

Star Member
May 23, 2022
My timeline: Child Passport (expired, but had pp previously)
Docs Sent : March 17, 2022 (Xpresspost)
Gatineau Received: March 21, 2022
Travel Date: August 30, 2022
CC charged; April 14, 2022

Zero communication from passport office, and certainly past the 11 weeks processing timeline.
Call 18334071031.
Tell them your child name and birthdate

a987

Star Member
May 23, 2022
I had been reading a lot of people are having trouble calling in but if you just need to update information or get more information on your passport information just call this number.
You still need to wait but not long 18334071031

Jenincanada

May 25, 2022
I applied for passport in person on March 17th,2022. I couldnt get hold of anyone in the number mentioned here . It always ends with automated voice. Is there an alternate number you guys are calling ? Please help.