+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Passport mailed from USA and delivered on March 21st
Credit Card charged on March 24th
I have no idea what the status of my application is since then. Tried calling customer service but had 500+ callers ahead of me.. didn't have time and courage to wait 3-4 hours.. but I guess I will have to do it one of these days or perhaps first thing in morning at 7.30 am like someone suggested here..

I was assuming charging of credit card would mean they have validated documentation is in good order and printing is the only big step before they ship out the passport. Is there a general sense of how many days does it take for passport to be shipped post credit card charge ? is there any other way to get status tracking of application other than customer service phone # ?
unfortunately not. there is a web form that you can fill out. but looks like it take few days before you get a response (if you get one at all). the fact that there is no online tracker is making everyone call which delays service for people who need real support

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
unfortunately not. there is a web form that you can fill out. but looks like it take few days before you get a response (if you get one at all). the fact that there is no online tracker is making everyone call which delays service for people who need real support
True. The situation is snowballing. If applications are being processing in 2 weeks, you won't find many people on the line and passport Canada won't have so many updates requests and complaints to address, which take from the resources which then cause more delays. FYI, the update request takes around 3 weeks to be answered these days, not few days.

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
Is your application for a new adult passport or a renewal application? Your card was charged quickly. I don't know what it means, but if it's renewal they recently expedited renewals. Otherwise, I have no clue.
My passport is for my child and it is renewal (which is essentially a new passport application). Yes, I agree it was charged within 3 days of being delivered.. May be my passport is shipped out but I have no means of knowing if it did. I wonder what made Canada passport services to not have a online tracking system for showing status at least (if not for submission). I am guessing most of us are calling their phone lines because we are in blind about what is happening to our application.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
My passport is for my child and it is renewal (which is essentially a new passport application). Yes, I agree it was charged within 3 days of being delivered.. May be my passport is shipped out but I have no means of knowing if it did. I wonder what made Canada passport services to not have a online tracking system for showing status at least (if not for submission). I am guessing most of us are calling their phone lines because we are in blind about what is happening to our application.
If it's for your child and it's again a child passport, then it's a renewal and probably won't take long. But if you are transitioning from child passport to an adult passport, then it's a new passport. I wish they had an online tracker for the passport like other categories. They could offload the agents who waste their times on the phone and the email responding to requests. But government agencies are very slow in adapting to realities. Until pigs can fly, call them 7:30 EDT and ask about the file.

Reactions: kapil_takeit_easy

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
True. The situation is snowballing. If applications are being processing in 2 weeks, you won't find many people on the line and passport Canada won't have so many updates requests and complaints to address, which take from the resources which then cause more delays. FYI, the update request takes around 3 weeks to be answered these days, not few days.
Is there really any further background work to be done post the credit card charge or just the printing ? Wonder why the delay post the charge on the card.

tarekh

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Guys. If I decided to transfer the application to a local office, then I need to submit an itinerary. Does the one printed from Cheapoair or Expedia considered or do they need proof of ticket payment? I would appreciate if anybody knows.

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
We heard back from our MP this morning, it seems they have a dedicated support line with Passport Canada (just so you know if your situation is a little desperate...).

We were told that they would be reviewing my wife's file to see why it is taking so long (received late January). They also asked her to provide a proof of travel in order to speed up the process. We should get an update by Friday. Finger crossed :rolleyes:

taekwondo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
GTA
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa ...though based out of India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
Hi Guys ,

Finally my Passport Journey is over . Canada Post ringed my doorbell just now and gave my Passport & Citizenship Certificate in one envelope.
Some Imp changes which I didn't post on the forum which might be helpful for guys who are waiting.

I called them last week on Monday (my 3rd Call ) and fortunately got a very good agent . She saw my case and told me its already very late as per their regular timelines. First she put me on hold to deep dive into all my docs and confirmed that all file is perfect with no issues in any document / signature etc. Then again she put me on hold to discuss my case with the Supervisor and after 5 mins she said she has escalated my case to the processing agent with a request to speed up the processing and I should get my passport in next few days. She also gave me the file number to follow up in case I don't get it in a week. My CC got charged from Toronto office after 2 Hours of that call which gave me confidence that at least it has moved for sure.

Summary : Keep calling until you get a good agent who is willing to help your case if its delayed . Web Status requests are of no use.

Good luck to all folks who are waiting . Its a painful process and I am really thankful to all of you here to keep me motivated during this time. This forum is a big support for anyone stuck in citizenship / PR / passport circle.

Cheers !!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi Guys ,

Finally my Passport Journey is over . Canada Post ringed my doorbell just now and gave my Passport & Citizenship Certificate in one envelope.
Some Imp changes which I didn't post on the forum which might be helpful for guys who are waiting.

I called them last week on Monday (my 3rd Call ) and fortunately got a very good agent . She saw my case and told me its already very late as per their regular timelines. First she put me on hold to deep dive into all my docs and confirmed that all file is perfect with no issues in any document / signature etc. Then again she put me on hold to discuss my case with the Supervisor and after 5 mins she said she has escalated my case to the processing agent with a request to speed up the processing and I should get my passport in next few days. She also gave me the file number to follow up in case I don't get it in a week. My CC got charged from Toronto office after 2 Hours of that call which gave me confidence that at least it has moved for sure.

Summary : Keep calling until you get a good agent who is willing to help your case if its delayed . Web Status requests are of no use.

Good luck to all folks who are waiting . Its a painful process and I am really thankful to all of you here to keep me motivated during this time. This forum is a big support for anyone stuck in citizenship / PR / passport circle.

Cheers !!
Congratulations. Finally. I was wondering what happened with you. It's sad to know that it depends on the agent and luck. There should be solid guidelines in place for all files. Did they call the guarantor/references?

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
It has been 5 weeks for my application. Having heard from many on this thread that the processing time could be up to 5-6 weeks, I hope I could get mine by the end of next week (my cc was charged on Mar 25)

taekwondo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
GTA
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa ...though based out of India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
Congratulations. Finally. I was wondering what happened with you. It's sad to know that it depends on the agent and luck. There should be solid guidelines in place for all files. Did they call the guarantor/references?
Totally Agree ...cant depend on the luck of getting good Agent some day as others keep telling you " Your file is under examination ".

No my Guarantor / References were not contacted . Hope you get yours soon ...you have waited for long like me.

Tommy22shoes

Jun 14, 2017
Totally Agree ...cant depend on the luck of getting good Agent some day as others keep telling you " Your file is under examination ".

No my Guarantor / References were not contacted . Hope you get yours soon ...you have waited for long like me.
I'm still waiting. My guarantor told me he was contacted last week and asked a few questions so I told my references they might contacted too. I was surprised as it doesn't sound like it happens a lot. Lucky me

Elchinec

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Application Sent: March 14 (By mail to Gatineau)
Received: March 15
CC charged : TBD
Passport received: TBD
Travel date: April 29

So, I called this morning, waited for 95 minutes, then the call ended on their side. Called again, waited for 2 hours.
An agent answered and said that my documents have been received and scanned. Nothing is required on my side, if they do they will call me from a private number.
She offered an option to transfer the file to the local office, however what she said was: the local office has to accept the transfer. The closer the travel date, more chances that they will accept it. In my case, they would call me on April 26th to come and pick up the passport on April 28th (the earliest).
I decided to wait till like 10-12 days before my travel date to do that. The transfer takes 2 business days according to them (I will count in 5 just in case). She also said that would be a better option.

I'll wait for another week and probably will do that.

Reactions: goodboy97 and Klamm

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Hi folks - quick question about mailing addresses. The application form says for BC residents to send the passport application to:
Government of Canada
Passport Program
Box 4000 STN LCD 3
Mississauga, Ontario L5K 0A9

The courier address is:
Government of Canada
Passport Program
22 de Varennes Street
Gatineau, Quebec J8T 8R1

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference in processing times between the two?

I can send a tracked bit of mail via Canada Post to the Mississauga address that isn't courier so I feel comfortable sending to both. Just curious about anyone's experience and whether one results in quicker turn around or not.

Thanks!