+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
@CaBeaver we called them again today, and guess what? They agreed to transfer my wife's application directly to the nearest local office without even asking! Remember, the previous agent told us to wait 5 days before our trip if we wanted to ask for a transfer.... bunch of lies clearly.

Now we must wait their call to be notified if they accept or not the transfer, why complicate things when they can be simple ? :rolleyes:.

Also, according to the person over the phone, her passport could only be collected the day before we leave the country o_O! (or even worse, on the flight day itself! :eek:)... not to mention that we will have to pay extra fees for their own laziness.

Does anybody knows, do they need an in-person appointment if we chose to transfer to the local office?
If you transfer your file to a local office, they are supposed to give you a call for an appointment.

• Wow
Reactions: Klamm and CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
@CaBeaver we called them again today, and guess what? They agreed to transfer my wife's application directly to the nearest local office without even asking! Remember, the previous agent told us to wait 5 days before our trip if we wanted to ask for a transfer.... bunch of lies clearly.

Now we must wait their call to be notified if they accept or not the transfer, why complicate things when they can be simple ? :rolleyes:.

Also, according to the person over the phone, her passport could only be collected the day before we leave the country o_O! (or even worse, on the flight day itself! :eek:)... not to mention that we will have to pay extra fees for their own laziness.

If you transfer your file to a local office, they are supposed to give you a call for an appointment.
I hope they will accept the transfer and things start to move forward for you from now on. Let's know if they transfer it to the Montreal's office to St. Laurent's. I am interested in knowing this bit of info in case I have to do the same. The transfer should be on them. Are you going to pay express fees as well or just the transfer fees?

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
I hope they will accept the transfer and things start to move forward for you from now on. Let's know if they transfer it to the Montreal's office to St. Laurent's. I am interested in knowing this bit of info in case I have to do the same. The transfer should be on them. Are you going to pay express fees as well or just the transfer fees?
I was told again that the Montreal office is over booked and that the Ville St-Laurent one is still much much faster... so we will go with this one.
And yes, we will have to pay that $45 extra for the transfer, and $100 something to speed up the process (meeeh :()

• Sad
Reactions: CaBeaver

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
any idea if the file transfer is courier of the physical application form itself? How many days it takes generally?
also what is the purpose of the appointment (i submitted the documents in service canada where originals were verified)

Last edited:

tarekh

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
any idea if the file transfer is courier of the physical application form itself? How many days it takes generally?
also what is the purpose of the appointment (i submitted the documents in service canada where originals were verified)
The agent told me that it is an electronic transfer. I don't know the purpose of appointment

Reactions: delray55

tarekh

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
I called them at 7:30 am and there were 7 calls ahead of me but the time between each call was too long so they took about 30 min to reply.
And they told me that my file is awaiting approval and that might take 2 days or 10 days. I tried to get any expectations from him but wasn't able to give a reply.
Sent: March 1
Delivered: March 4
Credit charged: April 1

kd216

Sep 24, 2020
I also called them today at 7.32am with 280 callers ahead and waited 1h58m.
The lady told me my application is in review and everything is in order. The delay is just from the office being overloaded with applications.
She told me I should receive my passport by end of this month and call back later next week to check the status again.

I applied on Feb 21 and delivered Feb 24 from BC.

an_mah

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with App (except PCC)
Nomination.....
26-09-2014
Med's Request
10-11-2014
Med's Done....
25-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-02-2015
LANDED..........
02-05-2015
Just got off a call with Passport office after a wait of 1 hr 52 minutes (about 500 callers before me). The agent confirmed that my application is received and gave me the file number. She mentioned that there is a 6 to 8 week delay and given that my application was received on Mar 11, it is expected to be picked up for processing the week of May 6, then 2-3 weeks for receiving the passport.
I was not sure if I had attached my daughter's birth certificate and she confirmed that I had - they have all required documents.

Long wait ahead. She did give me the option of transferring to local office (who will need proof for faster processing) for $45 per application. `didnt take that option at this time but may call them back tomorrow for the same.
After the call yesterday, I was surprised to see my credit card charged today by Sc Varennes Passport 2. Not reading too much into it as the agent clearly said there is a 6-8 week delay but keeping the faith that miracles do happen :)

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I called them at 7:30 am and there were 7 calls ahead of me but the time between each call was too long so they took about 30 min to reply.
And they told me that my file is awaiting approval and that might take 2 days or 10 days. I tried to get any expectations from him but wasn't able to give a reply.
Sent: March 1
Delivered: March 4
Credit charged: April 1
2 to 10 days doesn't sound so bad. I think in the morning they put just one person to answer the phone, because when I called early, and my turn came up, I waited like 5 minutes or so with no caller ahead of me.

Reactions: tarekh

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I also called them today at 7.32am with 280 callers ahead and waited 1h58m.
The lady told me my application is in review and everything is in order. The delay is just from the office being overloaded with applications.
She told me I should receive my passport by end of this month and call back later next week to check the status again.

I applied on Feb 21 and delivered Feb 24 from BC.
Which office? Gatineau? Did you call EDT or PDT?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
After the call yesterday, I was surprised to see my credit card charged today by Sc Varennes Passport 2. Not reading too much into it as the agent clearly said there is a 6-8 week delay but keeping the faith that miracles do happen :)
It's some progress, but I wouldn't say a significant one. Mine was charged more than 3 weeks ago, and still nothing.

kapil_takeit_easy

Jul 15, 2016
Passport mailed from USA and delivered on March 21st
Credit Card charged on March 24th
I have no idea what the status of my application is since then. Tried calling customer service but had 500+ callers ahead of me.. didn't have time and courage to wait 3-4 hours.. but I guess I will have to do it one of these days or perhaps first thing in morning at 7.30 am like someone suggested here..

I was assuming charging of credit card would mean they have validated documentation is in good order and printing is the only big step before they ship out the passport. Is there a general sense of how many days does it take for passport to be shipped post credit card charge ? is there any other way to get status tracking of application other than customer service phone # ?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Passport mailed from USA and delivered on March 21st
Credit Card charged on March 24th
I have no idea what the status of my application is since then. Tried calling customer service but had 500+ callers ahead of me.. didn't have time and courage to wait 3-4 hours.. but I guess I will have to do it one of these days or perhaps first thing in morning at 7.30 am like someone suggested here..

I was assuming charging of credit card would mean they have validated documentation is in good order and printing is the only big step before they ship out the passport. Is there a general sense of how many days does it take for passport to be shipped post credit card charge ? is there any other way to get status tracking of application other than customer service phone # ?
Is your application for a new adult passport or a renewal application? Your card was charged quickly. I don't know what it means, but if it's renewal they recently expedited renewals. Otherwise, I have no clue.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I think the express and urgent processes are causing the delay. In such time of crises, these applications are causing significant delays for us who applied regular. I understand some people have urgent reasons to travel, but in most cases people just don't plan their travels well ahead of time, and then let passport Canada handles their situation. While those who planned to travel 2 months or more after they submit their applications based on the 20 business days processing time are being punished by delaying their applications more than 2 months. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Klamm and Ragnheidr