+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Our applications were received on Feb 24. On March 12, my credit card was charged. I called Passport Program on March 24 and was told my husband’s and my kids’ applications were approved and my application was still being reviewed. On March 29, we received my husband’s and my two kids’ passports. I called Passport Program this morning (waited for 2 hours) and was given a file number and was told my file is still being reviewed. The agent told me I could choose to transfer my file to a local passport office but I will have to pay more fees. I said No. It is such a lame system!
It's silly to ask applicants to pay more to process their application after exceeding the advertised processing time of 20 business days. They should meet their target or change it and be realistic. As with IRCC, they put ideal processing time, but they don't follow it. It's just for positive advertisement.

Reactions: ScarletSails

gcamp

Mar 22, 2022
Covid-19 has been the perfect excuse for them. All government agencies. They think we must slow and stop applications, and not adapt and find new ways. I regret applying in-mail. I should have waited one day before my travel, and applied urgent. Someone got it in the same day because they are traveling the next day. Everyday I am disappointed when I don't find a notice in my mailbox. My application was received Feb 22nd. God knows what's going on. I am not able to reach them.
I 100% agree with this! I have a long story about why I have to reapply but sent my original application on February 7th. I found out last Thursday there was an error so have to submit a new application. I put in a callback request for an appointment last Thursday and again Monday. Nothing. My travel date is April 18th and I can’t get in the see anyone! It may come to the urgent appointment..I sure hope not but ‍♀

Reactions: CaBeaver

goodboy97

Feb 12, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
It's silly to ask applicants to pay more to process their application after exceeding the advertised processing time of 20 business days. They should meet their target or change it and be realistic. As with IRCC, they put ideal processing time, but they don't follow it. It's just for positive advertisement.
one thing i do not understand, why issuing a passport takes 20 days or couple of months! Why! what they need to verify! What they did in the PR application then (26 months) ... very frustrating

canv_1234

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
I see some people just had a walkin appointment. I had raised a ticket for them to call me to set an appointment in toronto area, still did not get a call. Also, I called the passport number and they said the best thing to do is to mail in the application.

I see a lot of time lag to get the PP if the application is mailed in and now I am thinking it would have just been better to do a walk in somewhere. I thought walk in is not available anymore but looks like its otherwise here.

Can someone let me know how did they figure out walk in location and did the processing centre not ask for any appointment?

trendtrader

May 31, 2017
I see some people just had a walkin appointment. I had raised a ticket for them to call me to set an appointment in toronto area, still did not get a call. Also, I called the passport number and they said the best thing to do is to mail in the application.

I see a lot of time lag to get the PP if the application is mailed in and now I am thinking it would have just been better to do a walk in somewhere. I thought walk in is not available anymore but looks like its otherwise here.

Can someone let me know how did they figure out walk in location and did the processing centre not ask for any appointment?
there are 2 places to apply in person.

Service Canada Receiving Agents- No appointment needed (you can walk in) but one should not have any travel plans before 25 business days. No need for proof of travel or need

Service Canada Passport Offices - if travelling between 3-25 business days, you need to get appointment by filling form for call back. If travelling within next 2 business days , you can walk in. But for passport offices you need proof of travel.

you can see which office is offering what level of service at this link

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/passport/map/map.asp

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I 100% agree with this! I have a long story about why I have to reapply but sent my original application on February 7th. I found out last Thursday there was an error so have to submit a new application. I put in a callback request for an appointment last Thursday and again Monday. Nothing. My travel date is April 18th and I can’t get in the see anyone! It may come to the urgent appointment..I sure hope not but ‍♀
They should have arranged a call back for you. I believe you can get your passport on time since now you are eligible for express service if you apply in-person, but they should arrange the appointment for you to send your supporting documents to the local office.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
one thing i do not understand, why issuing a passport takes 20 days or couple of months! Why! what they need to verify! What they did in the PR application then (26 months) ... very frustrating
Someone's passport issued today in 5 hours the same day, urgent processing. This proves there isn't much to issuing a passport. It all boils down to the fact whether you corner them or not. If you put "unknown" or a travel date that's not close as your travel date on the application, they put your file aside because it's not a priority, and say it's "in examination". Silly. I wish they were at least honest with the processing time.

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Someone's passport issued today in 5 hours the same day, urgent processing. This proves there isn't much to issuing a passport. It all boils down to the fact whether you corner them or not. If you put "unknown" or a travel date that's not close as your travel date on the application, they put your file aside because it's not a priority, and say it's "in examination". Silly. I wish they were at least honest with the processing time.
So you are still stuck as I see it, so is my wife...

I called again this afternoon (after 3h of wait), I was told they get over 150k calls a day... and now you can't transfer your file to an office unless you travel within the next 5 days ! ... and well, her file is under examination since the end of January.

Last edited:
  • Sad

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
So you are still stuck as I see it, so is my wife...

I called again this afternoon (after 3h of wait), I was told they get over 150k calls a day... and now you can't transfer your file to an office unless you travel within the next 5 days ! ... and well, her file is under examination since the end of January.
Yes, still nothing. Application received Feb 22nd, and CC charge March 14th. Almost 40 days passed. It seems things are getting worse by the day not better. No progress. No updates. No calls. No nothing :confused: It turned out mailing our applications was a big mistake.

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Yes, still nothing. Application received Feb 22nd, and CC charge March 14th. Almost 40 days passed. It seems things are getting worse by the day not better. No progress. No updates. No calls. No nothing :confused: It turned out mailing our applications was a big mistake.
I feel you ... Imagine here, they received her file on January 26, CC charged February 23 o_O, her application is still under examination, no ETA, nothing, I'll let you know if she receives any update before we leave in 20 days... but tbh, I have a bad feeling T___T..

The worst thing is that I received my passport more than 3 weeks ago, same dates, same envelope but yet different result, it makes no sense.

They also told me not to transfer to the Montreal office but to the Saint-Laurent one. The Montreal office is buried under demands.

KumarJayx

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
- Application Sent: 30 March 2022
- Application Delivered: 30 March 2022 (In person at Service Canada and got the file number too right away and payment done at counter)
- Passport Printed: waiting
- Passport Tracking Details received: waiting
- Passport Received:
Hi, Is there a way you can check the status of the passport application?

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Hi, Is there a way you can check the status of the passport application?
Kinda... you can fill their online form and wait/pray until your next birthday or so to get maybe an answer from them telling you that basically your file is still under examination.
You can also try to give them a call, prepare yourself for a 3h+ of wait with 550 ppl ahead of you (if they don't hang up on your face before which is unfortunately very common) but don't expect anything else than "your file is under examination".

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I feel you ... Imagine here, they received her file on January 26, CC charged February 23 o_O, her application is still under examination, no ETA, nothing, I'll let you know if she receives any update before we leave in 20 days... but tbh, I have a bad feeling T___T..

The worst thing is that I received my passport more than 3 weeks ago, same dates, same envelope but yet different result, it makes no sense.

They also told me not to transfer to the Montreal office but to the Saint-Laurent one. The Montreal office is buried under demands.
Indeed it doesn't make sense at all. I hope she will get it before your travel's date.

Those with a ticket are treated as VIP, while we are put aside and deprioritized, although they say don't finalize any travel plans before getting the passport. We have plans, too, you know :rolleyes: They reward those who don't follow the recommendations, and those who apply with a good margin are being punished.

I am discouraged with this. I was at least saying if it comes down to it, I will ask to transfer my file to the Montreal office, but now you are telling me the Montreal office is swamped. I don't drive, and that would cause an issue for me :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: Klamm and Ragnheidr

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Kinda... you can fill their online form and wait/pray until your next birthday or so to get maybe an answer from them telling you that basically your file is still under examination.
You can also try to give them a call, prepare yourself for a 3h+ of wait with 550 ppl ahead of you (if they don't hang up on your face before which is unfortunately very common) but don't expect anything else than "your file is under examination".
:D:p:p

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Indeed it doesn't make sense at all. I hope she will get it before your travel's date.

Those with a ticket are treated as VIP, while we are put aside and deprioritized, although they say don't finalize any travel plans before getting the passport. We have plans, too, you know :rolleyes:

I am discouraged with this. I was at least saying if it comes down to it, I will ask to transfer my file to the Montreal office, but now you are telling me the Montreal office is swamped. I don't drive, and that would cause an issue for me :confused:
The Saint-Laurent office is not that far with a Uber :oops: