+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

WingsL

Mar 30, 2022
Application sent on January 18, 2022
Application delivered on January 20, 2022
Charged on January 25, 2022
Passport application is under review until April 19, 2022

3+ months...hopefully, I'll receive my passport by then.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

How did you know your application is under review until April 19th? And do you know why is this all delay? Did you have any issue in your application, for example?

WingsL

Mar 30, 2022
How did you know your application is under review until April 19th? And do you know why is this all delay? Did you have any issue in your application, for example?
Called and the person told that my passport application is still under review until April 19, 2022.

Reactions: CaBeaver

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
What is passport canada phone number?
1 (800) 567-6868

I am on hold again, got cut off with 100 or so people ahead of me (started out over 500). Be prepared to be on hold for 1.5-2 hours (if you don't get cut off and have to start again).

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
So I called the passport program today (2.5 hour wait) and they say that me and my wife's applications is showing in the system (under processing - no remarks) and my child'd cannot be found!! but that's okay. I said that I have travel plans for May 1 and with what I see I don't think I can make it and the agent reassured me that I should be okay! I was also given two file numbers (for me and wife), but is there anything I can do with these?
Apps mailed to Mississauga (from BC): Feb 28
Delivered: Mar 2
No CC charge yet!

Esi1979

Feb 12, 2022

What is the reason it takes 3 months?

Navedbc

Mar 28, 2022

Have you filed a complaint 3 months delay is way too much to wait

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
So I called the passport program today (2.5 hour wait) and they say that me and my wife's applications is showing in the system (under processing - no remarks) and my child'd cannot be found!! but that's okay. I said that I have travel plans for May 1 and with what I see I don't think I can make it and the agent reassured me that I should be okay! I was also given two file numbers (for me and wife), but is there anything I can do with these?
Apps mailed to Mississauga (from BC): Feb 28
Delivered: Mar 2
No CC charge yet!
So they told you will get it before May 1st?

Nothing much you can do with the file's number really, unless you need to submit new documents.

I wish they would consider creating a new online system so we can track our applications. This way they could offload call agents to do other useful things.

ScarletSails

Dec 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Our applications were received on Feb 24. On March 12, my credit card was charged. I called Passport Program on March 24 and was told my husband’s and my kids’ applications were approved and my application was still being reviewed. On March 29, we received my husband’s and my two kids’ passports. I called Passport Program this morning (waited for 2 hours) and was given a file number and was told my file is still being reviewed. The agent told me I could choose to transfer my file to a local passport office but I will have to pay more fees. I said No. It is such a lame system!

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
So they told you will get it before May 1st?

Nothing much you can do with the file's number really, unless you need to submit new documents.

I wish they would consider creating a new online system so we can track our applications. This way they could offload call agents to do other useful things.
Yes, even though I seriously doubt that. The agent sounded confident, though. He \also kind of seemed nonchalant about our child's application not even being in the system after a month, so make what you will with that! He just casually mentioned "maybe call again in two weeks if you heard nothing?" It's really just like being in the dark. All we do is guess.

Agreed on the online system. Shouldn't be hard. Just allow applicants to access the same info as customer service agents? I was hoping having a file number would allow me to do something like that.

uvsrsk

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
I sent my application on 8th March. When can I expect my CC to be charged ? And what is the turnaround time to get the passport in general ?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yes, even though I seriously doubt that. The agent sounded confident, though. He \also kind of seemed nonchalant about our child's application not even being in the system after a month, so make what you will with that! He just casually mentioned "maybe call again in two weeks if you heard nothing?" It's really just like being in the dark. All we do is guess.

Agreed on the online system. Shouldn't be hard. Just allow applicants to access the same info as customer service agents? I was hoping having a file number would allow me to do something like that.
Covid-19 has been the perfect excuse for them. All government agencies. They think we must slow and stop applications, and not adapt and find new ways. I regret applying in-mail. I should have waited one day before my travel, and applied urgent. Someone got it in the same day because they are traveling the next day. Everyday I am disappointed when I don't find a notice in my mailbox. My application was received Feb 22nd. God knows what's going on. I am not able to reach them.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I sent my application on 8th March. When can I expect my CC to be charged ? And what is the turnaround time to get the passport in general ?
It used to be 5 weeks to receive the passport, these days processing times are not clear. They claim to have huge backlog but it is most certainly inefficiency issue. It's been almost 40 days for me already, and nothing.