+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
They called me saying everything was in order apart from the photos. Apparently the stamp from the photographer on the back wasn't readable
At least they called. Sometimes they just put the file on hold without notifying the applicant of any issue. Hopefully your passport is in printing. They sometimes return the passport and certificate together in one envelope.

dsanchez

Star Member
May 10, 2018
In my home country, when you apply for a passport, an agent checks your application and approves it on the spot in 5 minutes, and you get the passport in 2 hours. You don't even have to leave the premises. It's silly to "examine" a passport application for weeks and even months for a citizen. They have created a backlog by their own procedure. Now many Canadians are applying for/renewing their passports for the summer vacation.
Pre-pandemic the process was much faster in Canada as well; you would go in, show all your documents, hand in your pictures, and get it approved. You'd then come back the next day to pick up the printed passport.

I don't know your home country but maybe it's not as simple now as it was in the pre-pandemic times, and adding the anti counterfeiting measures to the passport to increase security has probably slowed the production process down quite a bit. I still hold out some hope that with restrictions easing, they will get back to their normal work processes and be able to start clearing the backlog; I don't think the issue is really how long the applications are getting reviewed, it's a combination of the backlog of work they have, and the number of applications that aren't done properly. In normal times when you'd apply in person, they'd just say "you forgot this box" or "you missed this signature" and you'd rectify it immediately; now they have to send it back and the whole process is much slower.

As frustrated as I get with it sometimes, I also try to remember - it's just once every ten years we have to go through it, and next time, as soon as I'm within a year, I'll look for a lengthy window where I don't plan to travel and renew then.

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
For those who plan to apply for passport, applying it in-person is my recommendation. Even if you may have to wait to get a slot of appointment, it could be just as long as the wait time you may have to experience when you apply via mail-in. But at least there are some big advantages
- You can take back citizenship certificate as soon as verification is done by the officer
- If there is anything wrong with your paper works, you will be told right away
- Before you leave the office, you get to know the date that you can come to claim your passport

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
For those who plan to apply for passport, applying it in-person is my recommendation. Even if you may have to wait to get a slot of appointment, it could be just as long as the wait time you may have to experience when you apply via mail-in. But at least there are some big advantages
- You can take back citizenship certificate as soon as verification is done by the officer
- Before you leave the office, you get to know the date that you can come to claim your passport
I highly recommend the same as well. Let the guys who applied already in the thread be the last applicants applied in-mail

Reactions: tarekh and sk000

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
- Application Sent: 30 March 2022
- Application Delivered: 30 March 2022 (In person at Service Canada and got the file number too right away and payment done at counter)
- Passport Printed: waiting
- Passport Tracking Details received: waiting
- Passport Received:

Reactions: PumpkinJack

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Do you need appointment or you can just do walkins ?

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
just did it today at the cambride service canada office in person with walk in. Took 30 minutes for the processing of fees. The lady even returned my birth certificate as she can authorize the copy. Got the file number too. Lets see now how much time it takes for the passport to come in mail.

Pretty smooth experience.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
can you do walkins or do you need appointment ?
walkin,
just did it today at the cambride service canada office in person with walk in. Took 30 minutes for the processing of fees. The lady even returned my birth certificate as she can authorize the copy. Got the file number too. Lets see now how much time it takes for the passport to come in mail.

Pretty smooth experience.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pre-pandemic the process was much faster in Canada as well; you would go in, show all your documents, hand in your pictures, and get it approved. You'd then come back the next day to pick up the printed passport.

I don't know your home country but maybe it's not as simple now as it was in the pre-pandemic times, and adding the anti counterfeiting measures to the passport to increase security has probably slowed the production process down quite a bit. I still hold out some hope that with restrictions easing, they will get back to their normal work processes and be able to start clearing the backlog; I don't think the issue is really how long the applications are getting reviewed, it's a combination of the backlog of work they have, and the number of applications that aren't done properly. In normal times when you'd apply in person, they'd just say "you forgot this box" or "you missed this signature" and you'd rectify it immediately; now they have to send it back and the whole process is much slower.

As frustrated as I get with it sometimes, I also try to remember - it's just once every ten years we have to go through it, and next time, as soon as I'm within a year, I'll look for a lengthy window where I don't plan to travel and renew then.
I agree with the on the spot corrections. Just recently someone mentioned the agent who took their application in Service Canada asked them to do some minor corrections. These minor mistakes could be important to Passport Canada, and we don't realize that, and they can cause delays.

I also agree with the 10 year period, but some of us have travel plans that weren't within the window they allowed for in-person applications at the time we applied. We applied based on the advertised 20 business days, but this processing time is not reflective of the actual processing time, and should be updated frequently so applicants can make informed decision whether to apply in-mail now or in-person later.

Reactions: PumpkinJack