+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
I think by 20 business days processing time it means from the time cc is charged, that's why it takes long these days.
This is concerning for me as my CC has not been charged in almost 4 weeks. Jeez! They sure know how to keep your nerves on their toes. My citizenship "ceremony" was in mid-Jan for *&^'s sake!

Reactions: CaBeaver

Esi1979

Feb 12, 2022
This is concerning for me as my CC has not been charged in almost 4 weeks. Jeez! They sure know how to keep your nerves on their toes. My citizenship "ceremony" was in mid-Jan for *&^'s sake!
Please don't get worried, I just said my personal opinion. I really don't know why it takes this much of time to process aps.

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
QUESTION:

how many documents you need to submit to support your identity ?
can you only submit a copy of your drivers license ?

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Please don't get worried, I just said my personal opinion. I really don't know why it takes this much of time to process aps.
No, I actually appreciate everyone sharing their experience and observations. It helps us have some sort of an estimate about a process that has been defined by a lack of transparency from the very beginning. It is taking much longer than expected for (surprise!) the passport applications, like almost any other step of the way. That can be okay in itself! The government is overwhelmed by requests, they don't have enough resources, COVID, etc., etc.... What makes it frustrating is that we try to follow the instructions very carefully; yet the other side does not hold their end of the bargain. If we had correct estimates of processing times, maybe people like me could apply for urgent processing with travel plans coming up in the second half of April. Now, with the trends I see, I seriously doubt I can make those plans.

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
QUESTION:

how many documents you need to submit to support your identity ?
can you only submit a copy of your drivers license ?
Yes, just one doc would suffice if it has all the required info/photo on it. If it is a copy, though, then it should be signed and dated by the guarantor.

Reactions: sting_hard

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
is it mandatory to fill out all the columns in Passport application form, or just the columns that are highlighted in red ?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
No, I actually appreciate everyone sharing their experience and observations. It helps us have some sort of an estimate about a process that has been defined by a lack of transparency from the very beginning. It is taking much longer than expected for (surprise!) the passport applications, like almost any other step of the way. That can be okay in itself! The government is overwhelmed by requests, they don't have enough resources, COVID, etc., etc.... What makes it frustrating is that we try to follow the instructions very carefully; yet the other side does not hold their end of the bargain. If we had correct estimates of processing times, maybe people like me could apply for urgent processing with travel plans coming up in the second half of April. Now, with the trends I see, I seriously doubt I can make those plans.
Exactly my thought. I would have waited until my travel is within 25 business days and would have applied in person express, while keeping my original certificate. That way, I would have a date to pick up my passport, and wouldn't have to part with my certificate. More certainty. The waiting of the whole citizenship makes this last wait and uncertainty difficult (I waited 27 months to get my certificate, 3 times the original time I expected to get my citizenship in). The thing that is puzzling the most to me is what they are examining exactly for the passport application? Once they open the file and make sure it's complete, and deduct the charges, there isn't much to do. They have the original certificate, photos, and signed ID copies from a Canadian guarantor. It should be a straightforward process. They don't verify physical presence and background check like PR and the citizenship.

Reactions: Klamm

Tommy22shoes

Jun 14, 2017
Application sent: 8th Feb 2022
Application Delivered : 9 Feb 2022
Contacted by passport office: 4th March
(requesting new photos)
CC charge : 12 March 2022

Frustrating that's its nearly 2 months. I don't mind the passport delay as i dont have any travel plans but I don't understand by they haven't returned my certificate

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Exactly my thought. I would have waited until my travel is within 25 business days and would have applied in person express, while keeping my original certificate. That way, I would have a date to pick up my passport, and wouldn't have to part with my certificate. More certainty. The waiting of the whole citizenship makes this last wait and uncertainty difficult (I waited 27 months to get my certificate, 3 times the original time I expected to get my citizenship in). The thing that is puzzling the most to me is what they are examining exactly for the passport application? Once they open the file and make sure it's complete, and deduct the charges, there isn't much to do. They have the original certificate, photos, and signed ID copies from a Canadian guarantor. It should be a straightforward process. They don't verify physical presence and background check like PR and the citizenship.
Absolutely, there is nothing more to check! Most naturalized citizens have lived here 10+ years, and the long wait is anyway the case even for Canadian born citizens. So basically just government inefficiency.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Application sent: 8th Feb 2022
Application Delivered : 9 Feb 2022
Contacted by passport office: 4th March
(requesting new photos)
CC charge : 12 March 2022

Frustrating that's its nearly 2 months. I don't mind the passport delay as i dont have any travel plans but I don't understand by they haven't returned my certificate
Did they call you for the new photos or you called them and discovered that?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Absolutely, there is nothing more to check! Most naturalized citizens have lived here 10+ years, and the long wait is anyway the case even for Canadian born citizens. So basically just government inefficiency.
In my home country, when you apply for a passport, an agent checks your application and approves it on the spot in 5 minutes, and you get the passport in 2 hours. You don't even have to leave the premises. It's silly to "examine" a passport application for weeks and even months for a citizen. They have created a backlog by their own procedure. Now many Canadians are applying for/renewing their passports for the summer vacation.

Reactions: Klamm