+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
This is ridiculous. I don't know why they delay passport applications like this. What are they examining? I still don't know. Passport applications should be straightforward with all the documents we send.
I filed my complaint on March 2nd. It takes 12 business days to expect a response. I hope to hear something soon. My complaint was that I was not contacted about a missing signature. If I hadn’t called I would never have known.
I sent and they received the missing signature on February 28th. I called on March 17th and was told no record of receiving it, but that it takes time for that to show on record. They did say that signature was the only thing that was missing. So still waiting and hoping to get passport soon.

Reactions: CaBeaver

taekwondo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
GTA
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa ...though based out of India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
But what is the reason for delay? Have you called them?
Yes ..called them Twice and every time the same response " Your file is under examination . No comments regarding any issues with the documents on your file as of now. No ETA"

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I filed my complaint on March 2nd. It takes 12 business days to expect a response. I hope to hear something soon. My complaint was that I was not contacted about a missing signature. If I hadn’t called I would never have known.
I sent and they received the missing signature on February 28th. I called on March 17th and was told no record of receiving it, but that it takes time for that to show on record. They did say that signature was the only thing that was missing. So still waiting and hoping to get passport soon.
I sent a normal update request, and not a complaint. 17 days and still the system doesn't show a document was sent to an already open file? It seems they treat all received mails as new mails, which take 3 weeks to open. Did you write on the envelop something to indicate it's not a new mail?

Last edited:

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: taekwondo

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
If you can find an appointment within days or you can walk-in in service Canada, go for it. I read some people were given appointments as far as May, though. If that's the case in your region, I would just mail it, and not waste time.
yeah, I've read it's not as quick as people think to apply in person, so I'm kinda glad I mailed my application

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
There's no updated tracker but based on many reports in this thread, this timeline is pretty standard if there's no issues with your application:

Mail it day 0
Delivered by day 4
CC charged by day 20
Passport received by day 40
40 days to receive passport... oh my god.. another long wait... phew (what else can we do, just keep on waiting.. keep on waiting.... )

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Passport Application sent: Feb 27th
Application delivered : March 1st
CC charged : March 21st
Citizenship certificate returned : TBA
Passport received : TBA

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Well, guys, my journey has finally come to an end. Here's my timeline:

Feb 28: Application delivered (to Ottawa)
Mar 12: CC charged by Kelowna BC office
Mar 16: Passport shipped from Kelowna BC
Citizenship certificate shipped from Mississauga ON
Mar 21: Canada Post delivery notices left in my mailbox
Passport and certificate picked up at post office (signature required)

I never contacted IRCC. I never submitted a status request. My guarantor/references were not contacted. Total processing time 3 weeks exactly (13 business days if you exclude shipping time). I got the shipping information from the delivery notices that were left on my mailbox today, not from IRCC.

If you guys follow IRCC's instructions to the letter and are patient, your application should be processed smoothly. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! all the best.
Credit card charged on March 12? Do they work on weekends? This is super fast!