+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

LOrangeVerte

Jun 28, 2022
toronto
Update:

I waited for a week and I had no news and my guarantor didn't receive any calls. So I decided to call them again today. I explained my situation, my travel at the beginning of September and that I called them last week.

The agent on the phone was very polite and told me that he could transfer it to my city and pay the fees (45$). What I found silly is that when they do the transfer it is not certain that the file will be accepted by the local office. I did receive a confirmation by email that the application transfer was requested.

They advised to wait for two weeks during which they would call me to give me a date to get my passport directly at the Passport Office. If they don't call me, I will have to go to the passport office 48h before my travel date (and pay the fees of course).

I don't have the capacity to know if my application will be transferred or not except the payment on my card. Or I can call them everyday and ask them if the application was transferred and treated.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!! but I can only bid my time until they call me for now.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
UPDATE:

I called today because I had no news and my travel date is approaching (the 3rd of September). The agent verified my application and told me that it's still under review and that there is a transfer request for this file which is correct (i received the email confirming the request).

He then asked me if my guarantor was called to which I replied "no".

He said that my guarantor needed to call a specific number and answer questions from an agent (also my guarantor needed to have my file number ready).

At that point, I really thought it was a mistake but he repeated that I needed to do that in order to clarify that point. I was never asked that before but anyway, I sent a message to my guarantor asking her to phone that number and indicate my file number. She did it quickly and the agent on the phone asked her questions about me etc. She finally said that they have everything they needed. The agent told my guarantor that they will call me in two days. If I don't receive any call I need to call them again.

I hope I'm near the end of the process because it's getting boring. :eek::rolleyes:o_O

Bibobibo123

Jul 4, 2022
I have requested transfer for my daughter’s application more than a week ago and haven’t received any call yet. Travel date is approaching (sep 3) so I’m getting very anxious. Does anyone know what I should do?

LOrangeVerte

Jun 28, 2022
toronto
I have requested transfer for my daughter’s application more than a week ago and haven’t received any call yet. Travel date is approaching (sep 3) so I’m getting very anxious. Does anyone know what I should do?
I think you should call them and ask why it is taking so long. And call several times because they don't always have the same answer.

tco23

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong/Gatineau
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I would have said my passport can come before Sep but the recent replies, along with how no reference said they got a call, seem to suggest otherwise. The only update is I have the cert back, 2+ weeks after my first call about this exact cert, for my personal purpose. I can only take it with some folding of the plastic cover which.... not great but I have to take it.

I don't like to say but while my trip is still a few months from now I'll still need to book hotel rooms with my other passport. Still not great, tbh.

Abakshi1984

Feb 14, 2017
Did they charge your CC prior to the transfer? If so, do you remember when? We have similar timelines, but no CC charge yet for me
Nothing so far and Surrey office is famous for ignoring these kind of requests. Even if you go there they will entertain people traveling in two days

SHROTT

Sep 3, 2020
Finally made a decision to request a file transfer. Application submitted on May 17 at ServiceCan. been in under review for over 1 month. Called in today to check status again since my travel date is Aug 30. Agent was kind and willing to help. She submitted a transfer request to my local office, emailed me the transfer confirmation, and told me if no call from them the day before travel, just go to the office to pick up with transfer confirmation email and proof of travel. Fingers crossed.
Update: called 6868 number couple times in the last few days, the agent wasn't very helpful. Since the transfer has been initiated, it's all up to the local office whether to accept and/or process it. 6868 agent told me to expect a call from my local office which I never received, so I decided to line up in the office this morning. Arrived at 6am, ~10 people ahead of me. Passport officers opened the door at 7am and people were triaged into three lines: already applied/transfer requested; new application for urgent travel (travel within 2 biz days) and normal walk-in application. For those already submitted application, Officers wrote down some personal info and file number as well as checked proof of travel. Few minutes later, an officer came out handed me a passport pickup slip for 3pm tomorrow. I headed home at 730am. Almost at the end of this passport journey.

Bibobibo123

Jul 4, 2022
Update: called 6868 number couple times in the last few days, the agent wasn't very helpful. Since the transfer has been initiated, it's all up to the local office whether to accept and/or process it. 6868 agent told me to expect a call from my local office which I never received, so I decided to line up in the office this morning. Arrived at 6am, ~10 people ahead of me. Passport officers opened the door at 7am and people were triaged into three lines: already applied/transfer requested; new application for urgent travel (travel within 2 biz days) and normal walk-in application. For those already submitted application, Officers wrote down some personal info and file number as well as checked proof of travel. Few minutes later, an officer came out handed me a passport pickup slip for 3pm tomorrow. I headed home at 730am. Almost at the end of this passport journey.
Can I ask what local office did you go? I’m still waiting for transfer call since my travel date is Sep3. Should I go there to wait in line now or should I wait till 2 days before travel date?

mahinhossain

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-10-2016
Doc's Request.
23-11-2016
Nomination.....
29-11-2016
AOR Received.
01-03-2017
File Transfer...
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-05-2017
Med's Done....
03-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2017
LANDED..........
06-02-2018
Guys, just a query, how long did you guys wait for the Citizenship Cert to arrive after OATH...??? It's been 3 weeks now after my OATH and I am still waiting for the cert... I know 3 weeks is nothing compared to the IRCC ways of working.... but I have had my fair share in the waiting game and getting anxious at the final stage.... :)

Gorbv.01

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Received my passport and citizenship certificate via canadapost. Did not followup or receive any call from passport Canada.
Mailed from Ontario to Gatineau: May 7
Received: May 9
CC charged: June 22
passport received: Aug 23
Congratulations and thank you for the info !
I have almost the same dates - sent May 9th, CC charged June 23rd. I called them last monday and they promised two week -ish to approve and 3wk to receive.

Last edited:

SHROTT

Sep 3, 2020
Can I ask what local office did you go? I’m still waiting for transfer call since my travel date is Sep3. Should I go there to wait in line now or should I wait till 2 days before travel date?
my local office is Ottawa. Ive been told the recommended practice is to line up if no call received 2 biz days before travel.

Last edited: