+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
I've been following this thread for a few months since I sent my son's application out on April 18. It was received in Gatineau on April 19 and my CC was charged on May 10.
I booked my trip in April for an October 1 flight thinking there would be plenty of time but all the stories here got me worried because my son requires a visa too. I called the 6868 toll free number several times and always got the same response - still under review.
Earlier this week I asked them to transfer my file to the local passport office but they refused since it needed to be within 20 business days. I asked them to send my son's birth certificate back but they could only say that they would try. I tried contacting MP office this week but they needed an appt from the embassy or a letter from my travel agency to expedite. Travel agent who was going to get visa for me refused because I didn't purchase the flight ticket with him. I contemplated booking a fake trip to the States to expedite my son's passport.
Anyways today I decided to call 6868 number to check on the status since I read that some people who sent 1 week prior to mine were receiving passports. This time the lady that answered seemed less friendly and asked where I got this phone number which was unusual since I just called the toll free number. I have most luck getting through around noon. This leads me to think that she was probably from the guarantor phone line since some have reported similar questions when calling the other phone number. She told me the usual story saying that passport was still in progress and that I could only transfer within 20 business days. I told her that I needed it early because I also need to apply for a visa so she somehow agreed to transfer it this time. I told her that I needed the passport next week so she said that she would try but no guarantees that it would be accepted. She also mentioned that the birth certificate had also been sent back which should save me the $40 for getting another one.
Well later in the night I received a phone call from an Unknown number. It turned out to be the passport office saying that I could pick it up on Tuesday. Yay. Good luck to all and perhaps try to transfer your file to a local office. Sorry for the long story but I finally feel some stress lifted.
Congrats!

Could you please explain process of contacting your MP?

Thank you

Neb75

Aug 12, 2022
Congrats!

Could you please explain process of contacting your MP?

Thank you
I just wrote an email to my MP explaining my situation and asked for assistance in getting it expedited. My MP also has a website with a form to fill out with questions regarding what type of help you need but I didn't know about that until later. One of the assistants for my MP responded fairly quickly to my email.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuzzBuzz

tco23

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong/Gatineau
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I've been following this thread for a few months since I sent my son's application out on April 18. It was received in Gatineau on April 19 and my CC was charged on May 10.
I made a previous call to the same toll-free number on Monday. May I repeat that the reply was in short "it will arrive within August". I am applying alone so 1. I still don't have a travel plan although I could expedite by calling again and stating I have an actual plan, while 2. my main purpose was to get back my certificate. If 2. happens before next week I'd also feel relieved by far.

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
Final update for application:

Here is my timeline:

Application Sent: April 13, 2022
Application Delivered: April 14, 2022
CC Charged : May 11, 2022
Received Passport: August 9, 2022
Citizenship Certificate: August 11, 2022
Notes: No calls to passport centre, no travel dates, just waited

Both passport and citizenship certificate were sent by xpress post.

;)My immigration journey is finally over, I began as an international student in 2012 and became a Canadian citizen in 2022, 10 years in Canada yay!

Good luck with your applications, and hopefully you will receive your documents soon.

tco23

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong/Gatineau
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Final update for application:
Congrats! So actually many people like you got back the documents separately, not together. I asked for my certificate before my passport.

fermisk

Mar 30, 2017
It's a bit of a mystery to me on that front. Here is how it went:

When I called to do the transfer, the lady on the phone said that after the transfer request is made that IF they accept the transfer over the next 2 weeks, they would call me and that I would have to fax them (who still uses fax?!?!?!) my proof of travel. And if I didn't get a call (meaning that they didn't accept the transfer yet) then I should go down to the office 2 days prior to my travel date, bring my proof of travel, and wait in line to have them process a 48 hour rush passport. I wouldn't need to re-apply or anything becasue they had all of my applications fully in the system.

But then I got the call this past Tuesday from the passport office, and all they said to me was that it would be ready for pickup next Tuesday after 1:00 pm. They told me just to go to the front of the line and tell security that I am there to pickup the passports and they would let me in without having to wait in line with the people there to apply. They didn't ask me at all to provide my proof of travel (either now, or when I go next week). But I will be taking my proof of travel with me just in case they ask to see it when I pickup. Although I don't think they will ask to see it when I arrive because at that point, they're already completed and printed the passports.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: One thing you can do to cover your bases is to book a cheap hotel room in the States somewhere that has free 24 hour cancellation. Book a room for a date so you have proof of travel (if you need it) and then cancel the booking.
It's sad to see you as a new Canadian citizen are advocating for fraud.
You have sworn and signed not to act in a unlawful manner.

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
I just wrote an email to my MP explaining my situation and asked for assistance in getting it expedited. My MP also has a website with a form to fill out with questions regarding what type of help you need but I didn't know about that until later. One of the assistants for my MP responded fairly quickly to my email.
Cool! Thank you so much! So basically I just go on this website: https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search, choose Ontario and choose any MP I like and shoot him/her an email, correct?

Neb75

Aug 12, 2022
Cool! Thank you so much! So basically I just go on this website: https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search, choose Ontario and choose any MP I like and shoot him/her an email, correct?
Yes, that website seems like a good start since entering my postal code brought up my local MP. I just used Google search to find my MP's website. I guess you could just choose any MP but I'd probably start with the one that looks after your area.

Reactions: BuzzBuzz

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
Yes, that website seems like a good start since entering my postal code brought up my local MP. I just used Google search to find my MP's website. I guess you could just choose any MP but I'd probably start with the one that looks after your area.
Cool! Thank you so much! We can actually contact Chrystie Freeland and Just Trudeau lol

Reactions: Idilia555

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
just emailed to one of the MP's, let's see how fast they are going to reply.

Sonikky

Apr 4, 2016
Is there a way to find out if my certificate has been mailed? It's almost a month since the passport was delivered. I emailed the MPs office but no update yet.
Still no sign of citizenship certificate. Called the payment line and the agent couldn't see any remarks about it. Contacted Canada post but they couldn't help as I don't have any tracking #.
MPs office emailed the passport office thrice so far, no response. It's been 5weeks since I received my passport. Anyone sailing in the same boat as I?

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Hi

Passport mailed: Apr 2, 2022
Passport received at Service Canada: Apr 7, 2022
CC charged: May 3, 2022
Passport sent for printing: Jul 26, 2022
Passport printed: Jul 30, 2022
Passport received: Aug 5, 2022

Took 4 months without 2 days

Good luck everybody

Reactions: Genesis76

renesa05

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Passport mailed: Apr 2, 2022
Passport received at Service Canada: Apr 7, 2022
CC charged: May 3, 2022
Passport sent for printing: Jul 26, 2022
Passport printed: Jul 30, 2022
Passport received: Aug 5, 2022

Took 4 months without 2 days

Good luck everybody
How do you get the status of when passport is sent for printing?