+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
If this is the case, then I have lost hope of receiving my son’s passport on time. I made the transfer request to my local PO and the agent told me to expect a call from the offfice no earlier than 2 days before my travel date! How are they going to transfer paper files and print out my passport all within 2 days?!
No need to worry. Some time agents might give wrong info. If your travel date is out too far say more than 15 days from the date you called they might have said that.
what is your travel date and when did you call them?. Passport office will have to call you once before accepting transfer
because they need your credit card info to charge the transfer fee and confirm if you have tickets etc
Before accepting your transfer request (which is electronic) they need to do it.
i think atleast you should a get a call one week before travel date worst case

Last edited:

utopir

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019
let me know if you here any updates on your application
I called them again today and they put a transfer request to my local office (Calgary). The agent repeatedly told me that there is no guarantee and that the office could reject the request. On top of that, she mentioned I will have to pay the transfer fees AND the urgent processing fees. I was surprised about the latter because I submitted my application well before th 25 business days posted on their website. They should give me a call on the 24 or 25 to confirm the transfer. Needless to say, I am both stressed and a bit miffed.

Last edited:

VickiC

Jan 30, 2019
Canada
Applied by mail, delivered March 15, CC charged April 7th. Got through to them today (168th in line, took about 40 mins) and file is still "under examination" and wouldn't give any estimate - just got the usual point that they could try and transfer my file if I had proof I was travelling within 10 days.

Also, they wouldn't give me any information at all about my husband's application (even though they were in the same envelope, I had all the details etc.) because he wasn't with me! So frustrating!
Update May 13: Got through via phone. Both files still in examination, and told me to call back in 2 weeks as the agent was hopeful there would have been some movement by then. She mentioned she could see the scanned documents and didn't see any issues on the file, but couldn't give me any other information.

Have emailed my MP to see if that helps.

Reactions: Nfwin

vis9486

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
SYDNEY,NS
App. Filed.......
19-09-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Request
19-12-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018( upfront)
Passport Req..
WAITING
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
application mailed to Mississauga on March 26 from Yellowknife.
no update since then, cc not charged even.
I tried to call them, all agents were occupied, and unable to get through. do you guys have any suggestions?

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called them today and they said the file is in process and to call every 2 weeks to know the status. What the heck?

"Application sent March 30
Application received April 1
CC charged April 26"
Date put on travel date: May 25
Application filed as non emergency
Option chosen: 26 business days or more!

Reactions: BuzzBuzz

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
No need to worry. Some time agents might give wrong info. If your travel date is out too far say more than 15 days from the date you called they might have said that.
what is your travel date and when did you call them?. Passport office will have to call you once before accepting transfer
because they need your credit card info to charge the transfer fee and confirm if you have tickets etc
Before accepting your transfer request (which is electronic) they need to do it.
i think atleast you should a get a call one week before travel date worst case
My travel date is on May 27th and the agent requested the transfer on May 12th. They are now only allowing transfer requests if your travel date is within the next 10 business days. So I got the request put in right at that 10 business days mark (taking into account Victoria Day holiday on the 23rd).. hopefully I get a call sometime early next week.. !

Reactions: delray55

Nfwin

Jan 28, 2022
Application sent March 9
Delivered March 10
CC charged April 4
Got delivery notice today - May 13.

So, I assume they are sending passports for applications from the 2nd-3rd week of March now unless they are urgent.
Didn't put a travel date in my application.

Last edited:

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Delivery notice by Canadapost? or Passport office?

Application sent March 9
Delivered March 10
CC charged April 4
Got delivery notice today - May 13.

So, I assume they are sending passports for applications from the 2nd-3rd week of March now unless they are urgent.
Didn't put a travel date in my application.

lincolnys

Apr 25, 2021
Hi folks, I have a question. If we have a valid RTD, should we apply for renewing a passport or directly apply for a new passport?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hi folks, I have a question. If we have a valid RTD, should we apply for renewing a passport or directly apply for a new passport?
A RTD is not a canadian passport, you need to apply for a canadian passport which will be your first one.

AhsanK

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Ottawa
App. Filed.......
22-09-2016
AOR Received.
04-01-2017
Med's Request
18-12-2017
Med's Done....
26-12-2017
Hi All, I am going to apply for the passport this coming week, I am unable to find an appointment in any passport office, and not sure if submitting an application at service Canada would guarantee passport delivery on time. I am planning to attend my friend's wedding in June in Seattle but not sure if I will have the passport by then. Please suggest what should I do :)

I am not sure if something similar has been discussed earlier as I am new to the passport thread.

Thank you in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi All, I am going to apply for the passport this coming week, I am unable to find an appointment in any passport office, and not sure if submitting an application at service Canada would guarantee passport delivery on time. I am planning to attend my friend's wedding in June in Seattle but not sure if I will have the passport by then. Please suggest what should I do :)

I am not sure if something similar has been discussed earlier as I am new to the passport thread.

Thank you in advance.
Walk-in at passport office to save time instead of applying via service canada. Go early to stand in line.
How early you should stand will depend on that office - one day before you can check how big the line is and then go accordingly next day 1-2 hours early.