+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
How to find out, if my service canada location has 10 business days or 20 processing time?
Quick update for those looking to book appointments at Passport Service Offices - they are offered a month in the future. (Eg: today is March 6th, you will most likely get an appointment for April 5th). The reason I know this is because I booked two appointments a day apart, just as a back up in April, 6 days after my Oath.

Appointments open at 7 PM sharp and remain available until 9 PM or so (at least from what I have seen, not sure if they get filled or the office closes them).

Book only at Passport Service Offices because you may get your passport way faster from there.

TIA.

Reactions: mbaleine

alu1234

Jan 25, 2017
Hi,
I applied at the Victoria St passport office February 21th. They told me to come pick it up March 6th but when I check my application on the tracker online it still says : We have received your application and are now processing it

Is this normal. They basically only have 2 more days to print it.

Should I still go try to pick it up the 6th even if the status doesn't change?
I am in a same boat.
I applied at Victoria St on Feb 20th and yesterday was my estimated pickup date.
The status is still the same. "We have received your application....".

Have you been able to collect your passport?

glqu2013

Feb 21, 2024
Are the size requirements of applying for Canadian passport as same as those of applying for citizenship grant?

Manny2

Star Member
Oct 13, 2023
Stupid Question Alert

Hey folks, just a quick question: Do I have to print out all 8 pages of form PPTC153(including the instructions), or just the ones I've filled in?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Stupid Question Alert

Hey folks, just a quick question: Do I have to print out all 8 pages of form PPTC153(including the instructions), or just the ones I've filled in?
No only first 3 pages including your information. You don’t need other pages . Those are only if you are mailing application.

Reactions: Manny2

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Quick update for those looking to book appointments at Passport Service Offices - they are offered a month in the future. (Eg: today is March 6th, you will most likely get an appointment for April 5th). The reason I know this is because I booked two appointments a day apart, just as a back up in April, 6 days after my Oath.

Appointments open at 7 PM sharp and remain available until 9 PM or so (at least from what I have seen, not sure if they get filled or the office closes them).

Book only at Passport Service Offices because you may get your passport way faster from there.

TIA.
depends on where you are and which pp office you're planning to go to. No need for an appointment. It took me 15 mins back in November and it took my wife an hour in February.

Reactions: adstarscream732

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019

TIA.
I think it's because they get filled.. At the moment I cannot find a single appointment no matter how far out at a GTA passport office. Managed to snatch a spot on Mar 28 at the Whitby passport office -- somebody must have cancelled. My guess is if one keeps refreshing there might be an earlier spot opening up from someone else cancelling. Kinda brutal, the competition for this o_O

• Haha
Reactions: adstarscream732

MaggieJP

Aug 20, 2020
I think it's because they get filled.. At the moment I cannot find a single appointment no matter how far out at a GTA passport office. Managed to snatch a spot on Mar 28 at the Whitby passport office -- somebody must have cancelled. My guess is if one keeps refreshing there might be an earlier spot opening up from someone else cancelling. Kinda brutal, the competition for this o_O
Agreed. I live in Calgary, when I was looking for a slot for the appointment, I couldn't find any slot available within one month in both Calgary and Edmonton's passport office or Service Canada. But there were plenty of slots available in a Service Canada in a small city where my husband was working at temporarily. I applied for my passport there when I visited my husband. The location I did my application was with the service standard of 20 business days though.
For the ones who can't make an appointment in big cities, try small cities when you get a chance to pass by.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In all passport offices I'm aware of you can just arrive and line up for any free spaces, and the space available is substantial each day - probably hundreds of people processed this way (at the decent-sized ones in tronto area I've been to).

It's first-come first-served, so show up earlier. But from reports I've seen (including here) that no longer means showing up at say 7 am as was common when covid restrictions were first lifted. Just try to show up around opening time.

I had to do twice in North York, first during covid, another a year or so ago. Second time was in and out in an hour for the form, 30 minutes for the pickup when passport was ready.

MaggieJP

Aug 20, 2020
In all passport offices I'm aware of you can just arrive and line up for any free spaces, and the space available is substantial each day - probably hundreds of people processed this way (at the decent-sized ones in tronto area I've been to).

It's first-come first-served, so show up earlier. But from reports I've seen (including here) that no longer means showing up at say 7 am as was common when covid restrictions were first lifted. Just try to show up around opening time.

I had to do twice in North York, first during covid, another a year or so ago. Second time was in and out in an hour for the form, 30 minutes for the pickup when passport was ready.
There is a passport office in the same building where I attended my oath ceremony. When I arrived for the ceremony at around 7am on that day, I was curious to see how many people were lining up at the passport office. There were more than 80 persons in the line, as early as 7am.....
I think a lot of people who couldn't get the appointments would try their luck by walking-in.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There is a passport office in the same building where I attended my oath ceremony. When I arrived for the ceremony at around 7am on that day, I was curious to see how many people were lining up at the passport office. There were more than 80 persons in the line, as early as 7am.....
I think a lot of people who couldn't get the appointments would try their luck by walking-in.
How long ago was this? Which office or metro area?

Not contradicting you, just last I'd heard/followed the lines early am had mostly disappeared (or at least declined to really modest numbers). Mind when I did the first time, it was a couple hundred people by opening at 8.30, and those arriving after about 10 am were being told no chance that day.