+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Even getting a passport in Canada made me feel bad about myself and my lifestyles.
Not to judge, but you can't name 2 people you've known for 2 years in Canada? A family doctor, a volunteer org coordinator, your landlord?
I know it's a hassle, but the references and guarantors are indirect markers of how integrated you are into Canadian society. My guarantor was my former landlord, and my references were the guy whose house I AirBNB'ed in when I arrived, and another friend who's a CanadaVisa forum user. Instead of taking offense or feeling bad about it, go out and meet more people. Your next passport won't need all this.

Reactions: armoured

momoland1069

Jan 16, 2024
Not to judge, but you can't name 2 people you've known for 2 years in Canada? A family doctor, a volunteer org coordinator, your landlord?
I know it's a hassle, but the references and guarantors are indirect markers of how integrated you are into Canadian society. My guarantor was my former landlord, and my references were the guy whose house I AirBNB'ed in when I arrived, and another friend who's a CanadaVisa forum user. Instead of taking offense or feeling bad about it, go out and meet more people. Your next passport won't need all this.
All I can say is, everyone's circumstances are different. For example, I stayed with a relative for a while and every since then bought my own place, so I don't know any landlord.
And I am actually content with my lifestyles. I only feel bad when other people questions the way I live my life.
I am puzzled why they don't do this step for the application of citizenship. Instead they wait till passport.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
All I can say is, everyone's circumstances are different. For example, I stayed with a relative for a while and every since then bought my own place, so I don't know any landlord.
And I am actually content with my lifestyles. I only feel bad when other people questions the way I live my life.
I am puzzled why they don't do this step for the application of citizenship. Instead they wait till passport.
well.... not to be rude.... but lol you will need 2 references again in the future who are not relatives when you have to renew said passport. so regardless you will have to interact and get to know people so in the future you aren't complaining about this part again lol. but one benefit is you won't need a guarantor for the renewal so one less person for you...

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

momoland1069

Jan 16, 2024
well.... not to be rude.... but lol you will need 2 references again in the future who are not relatives when you have to renew said passport. so regardless you will have to interact and get to know people so in the future you aren't complaining about this part again lol. but one benefit is you won't need a guarantor for the renewal so one less person for you...
yes it stresses me out lol

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Perhaps because a certificate of citizenship is generally not, on its own and without other documents, very useful. A passport is. (Keep in mind most of those born in Canada don't have certificates of citizenship - they go by birth certificates to prove citizenship.) Acquiring documents like passports and driver's licenses (fraudulently) that have photos associated is more useful.

And there is a VERY long history of those wanting to adopt fake identities using the passport-acquisition route. (More often by using birth records, mind - see for example this case - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Heathfield ).

That said: I'm not arguing that the references/guarantors method is particularly efficient or even appropriate for all circumstances, including/esp new citizens (who have passed the full citizenship grant process).

But you asked why they do this at the passport stage and not at citizenship stage. This is one reason.

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

aalii786

Dec 5, 2023
a quick question for people applying for their passports, are you guys using the same picture you used for citizenship application ? my picture is still under 6 months and i got it from shoppers, but they gave me digital picture back then, and the passport requires 2 physical pictures. Shoppers are telling me they cannot print those pictures (85$ for 3 pictures and are unable to print a copy). Is there a place where i can print those pictures (as required by passport) and use it for my passport application, or do i have to get them taken again, just because they cant print it ?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
a quick question for people applying for their passports, are you guys using the same picture you used for citizenship application ? my picture is still under 6 months and i got it from shoppers, but they gave me digital picture back then, and the passport requires 2 physical pictures. Shoppers are telling me they cannot print those pictures (85$ for 3 pictures and are unable to print a copy). Is there a place where i can print those pictures (as required by passport) and use it for my passport application, or do i have to get them taken again, just because they cant print it ?
If you dont have physical photo, then simply get a new one.. usually places near me charge only $10 or 15 or 20 for 2 new passport photos..

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Go to a photography studio and talk to them. Maybe they'll allow you to send them the digital pic over email and then they can print and crop the physical photos and charge you accordingly.

But the easiest option is to find a reasonaly-priced place and take good photos with the date and stamp on the back.

Temitee002

Jan 26, 2021
do we have to book any appointment or we can go directly to this location ? how long does it take there to finish things up.
Just walk in for me, and duration depends on the time you get there. I was the first in line super early in the morning, so it was fast for me

Reactions: Zay11