+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Hi all! This thread seems like the place for this question?

I'm trying to get a sense of the 'general' time it takes from citizenship oath ceremony to citizenship certificate to passport receipt. I know there are strikes at the moment that are delaying passports, but what would be the usual expected time for this? Is it much quicker if you receive the e-certificate?

Thanks in advance!

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Oath to certificate - anywhere between a week to 6 weeks
Passport - again, anywhere between a week to 2-3 weeks (non urgent, walk-in applications)
(PS: ^times based on my personal experience)

Can't really comment about e-certificate, but yeah if you get the certificate right away then guess it's just the passport processing time that counts.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Are we allowed to go out of country without a passport when citizens? I know we cannot come back without it.

This is beyond frustrating. So they expect people to cancel their trips? Why couldn't they process for the ones that already booked travel before they even started talking about strike? Can we do anything about this? No. They can go on strike and stop everything and I don't even understand how they don't care that people paid sometimes thousands for their travel. So, essentially they are denying our basic right for mobility.

Anyway... rant over...
you can always leave on your other nationality/passport and then apply cdn ppt at nearest canadian embassy that offers passport services. Just ensure you contact the embassy by phone/email to get instructions and procedure info. It’s not hard, you can even take photos done in Canada and these days you pay fees online using credit/debit card. Easy
Sometimes its easier getting it abroad than here.

caneu

Jul 23, 2022
you can always leave on your other nationality/passport and then apply cdn ppt at nearest canadian embassy that offers passport services. Just ensure you contact the embassy by phone/email to get instructions and procedure info. It’s not hard, you can even take photos done in Canada and these days you pay fees online using credit/debit card. Easy
Sometimes its easier getting it abroad than here.
Thank you. It does complicate a bit for me because I will need to travel to consulate in another town, I won't have a guarantor so I need to sign with them. But the most important is that I know I won't have problems at the border going out as some countries require that you use their passport for going out/in if you are citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But the most important is that I know I won't have problems at the border going out as some countries require that you use their passport for going out/in if you are citizen.
No issue, Canada has no border/passport control on exit. Of course the airlines will require you have a passport that gets you into the country you are travelling to.

Reactions: caneu

Fawn1477

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-10-2018
Passport Req..
21-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2019
I applied for my passport before the strike for urgent processing. I paid the extra cost. They said passport will only be ready for pickup the day before my flight; which is tomorrow. Called passport service today and my passport is not ready because it does not qualify as urgent. Wtf! Spent so much on this trip already

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I applied for my passport before the strike for urgent processing. I paid the extra cost. They said passport will only be ready for pickup the day before my flight; which is tomorrow. Called passport service today and my passport is not ready because it does not qualify as urgent. Wtf! Spent so much on this trip already
Was your aplication from a service canada or a passport office?

Jun 7, 2021
Dear All, Asking for family member who acquired citizenship this april. Can someone please advise, when this strike would end and when we can apply for passport, yesterday after visiting the passport office we were sent back saying its processed only for emergency or humanitarian cases. Our mistake of not following the news closely has led to the inconvenience.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Dear All, Asking for family member who acquired citizenship this april. Can someone please advise, when this strike would end and when we can apply for passport, yesterday after visiting the passport office we were sent back saying its processed only for emergency or humanitarian cases. Our mistake of not following the news closely has led to the inconvenience.
It ends when it ends.

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I decided to make a trip to the passport office today since I hadn't received any communication from them and I live close by. To my pleasant surprise, my passport was printed and ready so I picked it up. :)
I called them and they told me it has to be printed and i should get a call to pick up before my trip !!!!!!!!!!! i am not 100% relaxed yet but i have high hopes !

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I decided to make a trip to the passport office today since I hadn't received any communication from them and I live close by. To my pleasant surprise, my passport was printed and ready so I picked it up. :)
BUT one question was your status changed on the website ?