+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One of the guys who work there said- even if they go on strike, they will still work but there will be less employees. It's not gonna be completely shut down
There are always some employees in all agencies who can't strike, either because management etc, those in different unions (but usually doing different work), and some are declared 'essential employees.'

But I warn: these are pretty minimal and usually the work they would be limited to providing is essential or emergency work. For passports, that might mean only those with documented proof of family emergencies or similar.

They might have resources to do simple stuff like give out already prepared passports - but stuff like that would likely be management view of what services they can provide with the minimal resources. (And important, that particular one is only my completely random guess as an example)

Point being, don't assume you'd be in the group that would get the emergency treatment - what government thinks is essential or urgent is going to be different than what you think.

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
FWIW, I ended up going to Richmond Center. I reached at 8 am, the walk-in already had 40 people ahead of me, but the process was smooth and steady, document verification on the 2nd floor and then pre-screen & application submission on the 3rd floor, was out by 10:15 am.
Passport status checker updated: The passport has been printed and mailed

rjv2255

Mar 18, 2023
Applied walk-in on April 12th, Mail out date was April 26th, but I checked the tracker today and saw the message and they have provided canada post tracking number as well.
Okay,you are lucky.now they have started strike and i dont know what will happen to my application.

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I applied in person on Monday 17th they said it will be ready for pick up May 1st and they wouldn't allow me to do express 2-9 days because I don't travel until the 4th. I am stressed lol hoping that whatever was already in process will end up processing.

Reactions: davidfore

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I applied in person on Monday 17th they said it will be ready for pick up May 1st and they wouldn't allow me to do express 2-9 days because I don't travel until the 4th. I am stressed lol hoping that whatever was already in process will end up processing.
I'm in the exact same situation here. Which office did you apply at?

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
North York passport office ! everything went so well and smooth till the strike lol
I see. I applied at the downtown Toronto passport office. Yup I got the citizenship certificate pretty quickly and I was finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. :D I really hope they process applications in progress. I'll update here if I receive any comms about delays in processing or change in pick up date.

Reactions: aleguillen

davidfore

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
North York passport office ! everything went so well and smooth till the strike lol
Hey they are working so if you submitted application before strike it is going to arrive in your mail. don't worry ;) I did express on 17th and picked passport today no problem. So good luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: motocrosstar

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Hey they are working so if you submitted application before strike it is going to arrive in your mail. don't worry ;) I did express on 17th and picked passport today no problem. So good luck to you.
OMG I sure hope so *fingers crossed* , so you are allowed to pick up and emergency only? mine should be ready for pick up Monday may 1st, I even paid the extra $20 so I can pick it up in case the shipping takes longer past the 1st of may :rolleyes:

Reactions: davidfore

davidfore

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
OMG I sure hope so *fingers crossed* , so you are allowed to pick up and emergency only? mine should be ready for pick up Monday may 1st, I even paid the extra $20 so I can pick it up in case the shipping takes longer past the 1st of may :rolleyes:
yes pick up and emergency. no new applications

Reactions: aleguillen